Leitch M15 Distorted Stars

  • larryl
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2011
      First post here. ;-) My equipment is a WO FLT-110 scope, Takahashi EM200 Temma2 mount, and Starlight Xpress SXV-H9C camera. The file "Leitch-M15.jpg" shows a problem: the larger stars look like a pie with one sector removed. Can anybody offer suggestions as to what caused this?

      Thanks in advance.

      Larry Leitch
    • paul_luckas
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2011
        Larry,

        Looks to me like a seeing issue (atmospheric) rather than an optical one. There's a decent amount of trailing in the image, and focus is a little soft too which doesn't help.

        Silly question, but was the target low-ish (altitude-wise) or is there a possibility of any foreground objects (ie, shooting through a distant set of power lines, or the leaves of a tree can sometimes cause a similar effect) ?

        Paul

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "larryl" <k3fit@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > First post here. ;-) My equipment is a WO FLT-110 scope, Takahashi EM200 Temma2 mount, and Starlight Xpress SXV-H9C camera. The file "Leitch-M15.jpg" shows a problem: the larger stars look like a pie with one sector removed. Can anybody offer suggestions as to what caused this?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Larry Leitch

      • larryl
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2011
          Hi Paul,

          Thanks for your comments. The altitude was around 60 degrees and that is well above the trees etc. The image may have been taken before I had FocusMax working as well as now (always working on it). I did look at some images taken of M15 with my Tak 180 Epsilon and that star had similar characteristics.... ? Maybe it is some kind of 'blooming' with the SXV-H9C, even though it is supposed to be anti-blooming. Always worth asking.

          Tnx again.

          Larry