FLT 132 with ST-8300C?

  • paul_luckas
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2011
      Hello all,

      I have a new FLT132 ordered, and it will be arriving with the Flattener 4. Needless to say I am VERY excited. Aside from visual use, I have long been considering a simplified on-shot colour system, though I am not really interested in attaching an SLR to the telescope. Instead, I have been considering SBIG's ST-8300C. I'm curious to know if anyone has this combination, or has any thoughts on using this camera with the 132.

      Thanks,

      Paul
    • mackey
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2011
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "paul_luckas" <astro@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I have a new FLT132 ordered, and it will be arriving with the Flattener 4. Needless to say I am VERY excited. Aside from visual use, I have long been considering a simplified on-shot colour system, though I am not really interested in attaching an SLR to the telescope. Instead, I have been considering SBIG's ST-8300C. I'm curious to know if anyone has this combination, or has any thoughts on using this camera with the 132.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Paul

        Hello Paul,

        I've been using FLT132 f/7 and QSI 583ws for a while. The only problem was flexure
        over focusing tube due to camera weight (1.2kg). This limited the guided single exposure
        to 10 minutes. Anything longer would give me elongated stars due to flexure. I expect
        adding a rigid extension tube to fix the problem.

        Here is my latest take with FLT132 and QSI 583ws:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/hojong/5591263366/in/photostream

        Since you will be using Flat4 on FLT132, I don't think flexure would be a problem
        since the backfocus is shorter.

        Hope this helps.

        Hojong Lin
        Taipei, Taiwan
      • Jean-Marie
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2011
          Hi Paul. I am a proud owner of this combination, among others. I also use a Field Flatenner 68 and a Skywatcher electric focuser linked to a shoestring USB interface.

          My mount is a NEQ6 Pro.

          My guide scope is an Orion 80mm short tube with a Orion SSAG.

          ASCOM/EQMOD platform.

          All work beautifully. I don't get your question on the use of the ST8300 with the scope, can you be more specific?

          Cheers.

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "paul_luckas" <astro@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I have a new FLT132 ordered, and it will be arriving with the Flattener 4. Needless to say I am VERY excited. Aside from visual use, I have long been considering a simplified on-shot colour system, though I am not really interested in attaching an SLR to the telescope. Instead, I have been considering SBIG's ST-8300C. I'm curious to know if anyone has this combination, or has any thoughts on using this camera with the 132.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Paul

        • paul_luckas
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2011
            There have been some mediocre reviews of the ST-8300, and I'm mindful that the colour CCDs are somewhat of a compromise. The camera appears to have a relatively light weight form factor, and seems a good match for the FLT 132 in terms of pixel scale. Just curious to know what others have thought of this combination.

            Do you have any images that you can share?

            Thanks,

            Paul

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marie" <jean-marie.locci@...> wrote:

            > Hi Paul. I am a proud owner of this combination, among others. I also use a Field Flatenner 68 and a Skywatcher electric focuser linked to a shoestring USB interface.
            >
            > My mount is a NEQ6 Pro.
            >
            > My guide scope is an Orion 80mm short tube with a Orion SSAG.
            >
            > ASCOM/EQMOD platform.
            >
            > All work beautifully. I don't get your question on the use of the ST8300 with the scope, can you be more specific?
            >
            > Cheers.
            >
            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "paul_luckas" <astro@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello all,
            > >
            > > I have a new FLT132 ordered, and it will be arriving with the Flattener 4. Needless to say I am VERY excited. Aside from visual use, I have long been considering a simplified on-shot colour system, though I am not really interested in attaching an SLR to the telescope. Instead, I have been considering SBIG's ST-8300C. I'm curious to know if anyone has this combination, or has any thoughts on using this camera with the 132.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Paul

          • Jean-Marie
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2011
              I would agree with the statement on the weight, although I am not really familiar with the other 8300-based cameras.

              Re one shot versus mono, it is a compromise indeed and a good way to learn; I will probably move to a mono with filters in a step further.

              Cheers.