Re: [William Optics] Re: Eyepiece Query

  • limanda
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 23, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 30 KB
    Hi Timm,

    The silver thumbscrew shown on the picture attached was supplied with the scope in a plastic bag and I didn't know what it was for. It is 32 mm long and has a thinner yellow bit on the end. It fits the "Focus Lock" hole, but does not screw all the way in and the focuser still moves - is it the "missing" thumbscrew, if not what is it for ?

    Cheers.

    Stuart.
    Message 2 of 11 , Mar 23, 2011
      Hi Stuart,

      Most likely it is the missing thumb screw because I don't know what else it would be for. I will take a look at the one on my SCT focuser which is essentially the same linear power design as your focuser, I believe. I will reply again later after I take a closer look at mine.

      Either way - you can leave it out - you only need to worry about adjusting the tension of the allen head set screw right in the middle.

      Timm

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "limanda" <limanda@...> wrote:

      > Hi Timm,
      >
      > The silver thumbscrew shown on the picture attached was supplied with the scope in a plastic bag and I didn't know what it was for. It is 32 mm long and has a thinner yellow bit on the end. It fits the "Focus Lock" hole, but does not screw all the way in and the focuser still moves - is it the "missing" thumbscrew, if not what is it for ?
      >
      > Cheers.
      >
      > Stuart.

    • limanda
      Message 3 of 11 , Mar 23, 2011
        Hi Timm,

        Will be interested to hear what you find out.

        Thanks again for your kind help.

      • Timm B
        Message 4 of 11 , Mar 23, 2011

          I checked my SCT Linear Power focuser and yes, the chrome thumbscrew is the locking screw. Mine didn't have the yellow tip, it was metal on the end. It doesn't screw all the way in, as you said.

          The tension adjustment allen set screw on mine is a 4mm wrench.

        • limanda
          Message 5 of 11 , Mar 24, 2011
            Hi Timm, Thanks for that, think I've got it "sorted" now.

            The yellow (3mm un-threaded) tip was the protruding end of a 15mm (looks like brass) rod that was fitted within the open end of the chrome thumb-screw (for what I do not know, unless it is to protect the open end of the screw ?). Once I'd removed it,  I screwed the thumb-screw into the "Focus Lock" hole and it "locked" the focus fine.

            Think I have confused you (Timm) with the Tim who works for WO in Taiwan as a customer services representative - you are both extremely helpful, knowledgeable and patient with numerous queries !

            Best wishes.

            Stuart
            I checked my SCT Linear Power focuser and yes, the chrome thumbscrew is the locking screw. Mine didn't have the yellow tip, it was metal on the end. It doesn't screw all the way in, as you said.

            The tension adjustment allen set screw on mine is a 4mm wrench.

            Hope that helps

            Timm

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "limanda" <limanda@...> wrote:

            > Hi Timm,
            >
            > Will be interested to hear what you find out.
            >
            > Thanks again for your kind help.
            >
            > Stuart.

          • Timm B
            Message 6 of 11 , Mar 24, 2011
              Hi Stuart

              Excellent! Glad to help you. No worries on confusing me with the WO Tim who is an employee. I have gotten a lot of generous help from other people, groups, volunteers, and friends and I am happy to pay back for the help and advice I have gotten. I hope you can help others with your new knowledge as well.

              Now all we need is some Spring weather here in the Chicago area!