RE: [William Optics] Megrez 88 rotatable focuser not aligned ?

  • Frans Lalleman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14 11:50 AM

      Bon soir Dominique,

      I had the same problem with my flt 98.Strange photo,s came up

      I just locked the three bolts quite tight and will never loosen them again (don’t need it ,I can rotate the camera on the FF))

      I changed the 3 bolt in bigger ones,

      Check here to see my solution:2nd  pic

      http://www.sterrenwacht-wave.nl/Equipment.htm

      take care

      Frans

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14 12:23 PM
        Hi Dominique,

        The 3 nylon screws need to each be tightened enough so that they are snug, but still allow for the rotating to be smooth.

        If you loosen them, then it will wobble - if you tighten too much - the focuser will not rotate.

        If you tighten some more than others, it will rotate but be slightly off center in the rotation.

        If you want it absolutely perfect in rotation it will take some trial and error.

        Remember that if you are using a diagonal, and high power eyepiece that they might also contribute to rotation off center. You may have to live with "good enough" do to imperfections in the way the diagonal and eyepiece (especially if it is a high powered eyepiece) all mount together in the optical alignment.

        Hope this helps.

        Timm

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dominique" <dominique.joubert@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am quite new on this forum,
        > Being owner of a megrez 88 for one Year, I was almost satisfied.
        >
        > But I noticed that when rotating the focuser, the star that I centered in the eyepiece, was shifting a lot ...
        > I discovered some play in the rotating focuser, and searching on this forum I saw that I have to take care about the 3 screw around the focuser, not only the one to block it.
        > I tried to recover the alignment, but I did not succeeded... so far.
        >
        > Any idea, abut how to manage this issue ?
        > What about the other screw on the focuser ?
        > How to proceed for good alignment ?
        >
        > Best regards
        > Thank you for any help
        > Sorry for my french english...
        >
        > Dominique

      • Dominique
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15 7:57 AM
          Hi

          Thanks to Frans and Timm for their valuable advices.
          I tried to adjust it to keep it rotatable, but eventually I do prefer to block this rotatable focuser, so I did that blocking the 3 screws tryning manually to adjust the tension, while I was keeping visually aligned the focuser ( handling the refractor vertically )
          I agreed with Timm about the misalignment risk due to the diagonal and the eyepiece.
          It should be perfect if every component was aligned, but we have at least some play between the focuser and the eyepiece or camera.
          Using mainly the refractor for photography, my final objective is to have at least axis parallele , in order to be sure to have my DSLR sensor ortogonal to the axis.
          So my additionnal questions are :
          - how to check the alignments?
          - how to check orthogonality ?

          Regards