Link to amazing picture

  • Timm B
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2 7:01 AM
      Hi - I posted this link on the WO Facebook page as well and thought Yahoo Group members would enjoy it.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/hojong/5488442255/

      It is the Horsehead Nebula taken with a new WO 151mm Astrograph refractor.

      Sorry - I don't have more details on the new scope, but hopefully WO will announce details soon.

      Enjoy

      Timm
    • Perry Holcomb
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2 9:12 AM
        That image is striking in its sharpness.  That's some glass!!

        Perry

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2 12:35 PM
          Hello Everyone,

          The New 151 APO has excellent design for astrophotograpy with 5 element in two group (it's air spaced FPL53 element) it cover complete full frame CCD.The scope will take pre-order only.intruducing price is US$7988 for OTA (first 3 sets only) that includes new 3.5" DDG focuser and mounting rings
          delivery time takes 2-3 month.
          Thank you.

          William Yang
          William Optics

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Perry Holcomb <hpholcomb@...> wrote:

          > That image is striking in its sharpness.? That's some glass!!
          >
          > Perry

        • Dan Heimdahl
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2 2:05 PM

            Hi.

            Very nice Horsehead.

            But I do see diffraction spikes that looks worrying. Even in stars not so bright it seems.

            From HIP26953 (not seen in the image), there seems to be a massive diffraction spike entering at the bottom of the image.

            Is this due to the design or is possibly a flattener involved somehow?

            BR
            /Dan

            t.bottoni@...> wrote:

            > From: Timm B <
            t.bottoni@...>
            > Subject: [William Optics] Link to amazing picture
            > To:
            William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2011, 10:01 AM
            >

            > ?
            >

            > Hi - I posted this link on the WO Facebook page as well and thought Yahoo Group members would enjoy it.
            >

            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/hojong/5488442255/
            >

            > It is the Horsehead Nebula taken with a new WO 151mm Astrograph refractor.
            >

            > Sorry - I don't have more details on the new scope, but hopefully WO will announce details soon.
            >

            > Enjoy
            >

            > Timm

          • ¢Ý¢ø¢ü¢ñ¢ë
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3 12:27 AM
              Hi Dan,

              Thank you Dan,the 151 is the first sample we made,the reflection spikes was from some tube threads of rear element ,the final version will be improve for sure.

              William

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Heimdahl" <dan@...> wrote:

              > Hi.
              >

              > Very nice Horsehead.
              >
              > But I do see diffraction spikes that looks worrying. Even in stars not so
              > bright it seems.
              >
              > From HIP26953 (not seen in the image), there seems to be a massive
              > diffraction spike entering at the bottom of the image.
              >
              > Is this due to the design or is possibly a flattener involved somehow?
              >

              > BR
              > /Dan

            • Michael
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13 2:07 PM
                maybe it would benefit from a small sub-aperture mask?

                150mm is quite a lot of glass for f5.2.

                I would love to get hold of one of these beauties....someday maybe...someday!

                Keep them coming though guys...if I ever win on the lottery I'll come and pick it up in person!

                Best wishes and clear skies

                Michael
              • Timm B
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 14 7:13 AM
                  William hasn't posted official specifications yet, but I believe it is a special 5 element design. My guess is that it incorporates a built in flattener/reducer of sorts, which allows it to operate at F/5.2 and produces such a nice image without the field curvature inherent in standard refractor designs.

                  Timm

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <michaelgossage@...> wrote:

                  > maybe it would benefit from a small sub-aperture mask?
                  >
                  > 150mm is quite a lot of glass for f5.2.
                  >
                  > I would love to get hold of one of these beauties....someday maybe...someday!
                  >
                  > Keep them coming though guys...if I ever win on the lottery I'll come and pick it up in person!
                  >
                  > Best wishes and clear skies
                  >
                  > Michael

                • dan j
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 14 9:23 AM
                    is that a feather touch focuser on the new 151mm!!!!
                    If it is and the field is as well corrected and flat as the picture taken this scope is a home run!!!!
                    Dan

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@...> wrote:

                    > Hi - I posted this link on the WO Facebook page as well and thought Yahoo Group members would enjoy it.
                    >
                    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/hojong/5488442255/
                    >
                    > It is the Horsehead Nebula taken with a new WO 151mm Astrograph refractor.
                    >
                    > Sorry - I don't have more details on the new scope, but hopefully WO will announce details soon.
                    >
                    > Enjoy
                    >
                    > Timm

                  • Timm B
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 14 9:58 AM
                      No idea if a Feather Touch will be included or available yet.

                      If I get any more of the specs from William I will post them.

                      It does look to be a very well corrected and flat image from the ones posted so far from this early model.

                      Timm