New owner and focuser quality question

  • david_rinnan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2003
      Hi all,

      received my WOC 110 and Megrez 80 today. I traded in my Vixen
      ED102SS with guide scope and got an offer I couldnt refuse :) Been
      dreaming for this scope combo for a year or so.. will finaly be able
      to sleap well again!!

      My new setup will use the megrez as the guidescope and travelscope.
      I got it with the guidescope rings which worked great.

      I was amazed of the quality in both telescopes. Optically I have
      only been able to test the megrez which performs very good for its
      price.

      The 4" focuser of the 110 is great. I really like that the focuser
      is rotatable. I hooked it up with a digital SLR (canon 10D, without
      extra battery grip) and tried to reach focus. I focused on a distant
      land object due to a very cloudy sky. It was great to notice that I
      could reach focus without a focal reducer (was needed on my
      ED102SS). I reached focus (with the WOC 2" photo adapter) by moving
      the focuser out about 2 inches (maybe 1,5"). I noticed that the
      focuser got a jerky motion when focusing back towards the OTA - it
      was a bit smoother when focusing out from the OTA. The telescope was
      pointing towards the horizon so the full camera weight was pulling
      on the focusing tube - which I guess is the reason for the
      jerkiness.

      If I pushed on the camera house, from the ground upwards, countering
      the weight of the camera, the focuser was running smooth again. Is
      it possible to get away from the jerkiness by tightening the screws
      below the focuser housing? Is there something I can do to help the
      focuser maintain a smooth motion even though it is under the strain
      from weight?

      Greatfull for any tips

      Regards

      david