Zenithstar focuser adjustment

  • outlash27
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hi all, I've owned a zenithstar 66SD for nearly 3 years now and have been very happy with it until recently it showed signs of mis-collimation. A quick check showed that the focuser drawtube isn't sitting square to the focal plane. Can this part of the focuser be adjusted so it can be put back and if so, how is it done?

      TIA

      Tony..
    • Dave Y
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        Hi You will likley find that the plastic set screws that hold the focuser to the ring at the back of the scope have come loose (they ride in a V groove and allow you to rotate the focuser) Just snug them up and you will be fine.. this has happened to a few of my W/O scopes..
        Cheers

        Dave Yates
        tpiastro.com

        Hi all, I've owned a zenithstar 66SD for nearly 3 years now and have been very happy with it until recently it showed signs of mis-collimation. A quick check showed that the focuser drawtube isn't sitting square to the focal plane. Can this part of the focuser be adjusted so it can be put back and if so, how is it done?

        TIA

        Tony..

      • Timm B
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
          Yes - those plastic screws need the proper tension. It is what allows the focuser to rotate smoothly.

          But if you don't think that is it, post some pics and maybe someone here can help.

          Timm

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Y" <daveyates80@...> wrote:

          > Hi You will likley find that the plastic set screws that hold the focuser to the ring at the back of the scope have come loose (they ride in a V groove and allow you to rotate the focuser) Just snug them up and you will be fine.. this has happened to a few of my W/O scopes..
          > Cheers
          >
          > Dave Yates
          > tpiastro.com

        • outlash27
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
            Cheers guys, I'll take a look and see how it goes.

            Thanks again,

            Tony.

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@...> wrote:

            > Yes - those plastic screws need the proper tension. It is what allows the focuser to rotate smoothly.
            >
            > But if you don't think that is it, post some pics and maybe someone here can help.
            >
            > Timm
            >
            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Y" <daveyates80@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi You will likley find that the plastic set screws that hold the focuser to the ring at the back of the scope have come loose (they ride in a V groove and allow you to rotate the focuser) Just snug them up and you will be fine.. this has happened to a few of my W/O scopes..
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > Dave Yates
            > > tpiastro.com

          • outlash27
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
              Hi there, I tightened up those screws and whilst it's made it a little better, it's still far from perfect and the focuser doesn't rotate now! (not that I used that anyway!) Any other ideas?

              Tony..

            • daveyates80@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
                The screws are a little too snug thus the non rotation.
                Make sure there is not a recess under the brass ring when you put in your accessories as it may misalign.
                I had this issue with an orion dslr adapter.
                Let us know
                Cs
                Dave

                From: "outlash27" <outlash27@...>
                Sender: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 17:21:28 -0000
                To: <William-Optics@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com

                Hi there, I tightened up those screws and whilst it's made it a little better, it's still far from perfect and the focuser doesn't rotate now! (not that I used that anyway!) Any other ideas?

                Tony..

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "outlash27" <outlash27@...> wrote:

                > Cheers guys, I'll take a look and see how it goes.
                >

                > Thanks again,
                >
                > Tony.
                >

                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Yes - those plastic screws need the proper tension. It is what allows the focuser to rotate smoothly.
                > >
                > > But if you don't think that is it, post some pics and maybe someone here can help.
                > >
                > > Timm
                > >
                > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Y" <daveyates80@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi You will likley find that the plastic set screws that hold the focuser to the ring at the back of the scope have come loose (they ride in a V groove and allow you to rotate the focuser) Just snug them up and you will be fine.. this has happened to a few of my W/O scopes..
                > > > Cheers
                > > >
                > > > Dave Yates
                > > > tpiastro.com

              • outlash27
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
                  Sorry Dave, I should have mentioned that. I'm aware that tightening them right up involves the focuser not being able to rotate, but that's the only way I'm able to get the focuser closer to alignment.

                  I don't think it's the compression ring either (I'm assuming this is the brass ring you're referring to) as I use a variety of adapters including the supplied SCT/1.25" one and it's the same on all of them.

                  Tony.