Lens Cleaning

  • gmcfrance
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
      Dear Group,

      I have a Megrez 120 and I notice that the lens has become slightly dirty with dew marks and dust particles which do not blow off. Anyone got any good advice please on how to clean it without damaging the lens and coatings?

      Gordon
    • Perry Holcomb
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
        I use the genuine LensPen - not the cheaper Chinese knock-offs on eBay and other places.  Buy 'em from a reputable, well-known outfit.

        I used one to remove tree sap from a refractor objective.  Worked wonders and left no sign of the sap or was there any noticeable damage to the coatings.  It took time and patience, but that thing works!

        pH

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2011

          I highly recommend reading Dr. Clays cleaning instructions and cleaning fluid preparation at his Arkansas Sky Observatory web site. http://www.arksky.org/
          I prepared the fluid myself and have successfully cleaned many lenses using his instructions.
          Now, he sells his "formula" and all cleaning materials.

          Ross is on my iPad
        • gmcfrance
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2011
            Dear Perry and Ross,

            Thanks very much for your good advice. Have all I need to get the lens sparkling again.

            Best regards