Megrez 110 DDG Upgrade

  • r3delson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2010
      Has anyone tried to upgrade a Megrez 110 with a DDG focuser? I was told by someone from Williams at their NEAF booth this spring that it would be available as an upgrade option to their older scopes so I've ordered one but it doesn't appear to fit the Megrez 110, at least on my first attempt at looking at it. Any ideas?

      Richard
    • r3delson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2010
        I beleive I've installed this sucessfully on the second attempt.
        The first time I had removed the adapter ring thinking it did not work with my scope, the second time I left it on. I have posted a
        photo, if it doesnt look right please chime in:

        Thanks
        Richard

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "r3delson" <redelson@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried to upgrade a Megrez 110 with a DDG focuser? I was told by someone from Williams at their NEAF booth this spring that it would be available as an upgrade option to their older scopes so I've ordered one but it doesn't appear to fit the Megrez 110, at least on my first attempt at looking at it. Any ideas?
        >
        > Richard

      • williammoderator07
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2010
          Dear Richard.
          I am afraid you bought the wrong focuser.
          The focuser you purchased is WO DDG Synta type focuser to fit Synta made telescopes such as SkyWatcher.
          We have extra 2.5" and 3.5" DDG focusers available, but we don't have adapter rings to fit them to different telescope models.
          Different telescope has different adapter ring.
          For your telescope, M110, right now we only have one option – to use 3.5" DDG FLT110 focuser which costs $599 with shipping.

          Regards,
          Tim
          WO

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "r3delson" <redelson@...> wrote:

          > I beleive I've installed this sucessfully on the second attempt.
          > The first time I had removed the adapter ring thinking it did not work with my scope, the second time I left it on. I have posted a
          > photo, if it doesnt look right please chime in:

          > Thanks
          > Richard
          >

          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "r3delson" <redelson@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone tried to upgrade a Megrez 110 with a DDG focuser? I was told by someone from Williams at their NEAF booth this spring that it would be available as an upgrade option to their older scopes so I've ordered one but it doesn't appear to fit the Megrez 110, at least on my first attempt at looking at it. Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Richard

        • r3delson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011
            Thank you, I suspected it looked more like a hack than something designed to work this way. I will say though that it seems to be fitted very securely so I don't expect any mechanical problems. I was unable to find the 3.5" DDG listed separately on the online shop website, it's only listed as part of new scope packages.

            After reviewing the pages for my Megrez 110 I see that it was originally shipped with a 2.5" focuser, so I would be interested to know what advantage optically would I have imaging with this scope using a 3.5" focuser. The cost of the 3.5" focuser is twice that of the 2.5" model so it wold be important to know any drawbacks or risks of using the former.

            One thing this setup does accomplish for me is to add some length I had previously needed to image with this scope using larger CCD chips. I found that I did not have enough backfocus with the 2" photo adapter after moving from a 2 Megapixel CD to a 6 Megapixel one. I needed another half inch and I now have more than that available. I haven't tried the new setup yet, I expect some good weather later this week.

            Thanks again for the quick response and I'd be interested in hearing more info.

            Richard

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williammoderator07" <williammoderator07@...> wrote:

            > Dear Richard.
            > I am afraid you bought the wrong focuser.
            > The focuser you purchased is WO DDG Synta type focuser to fit Synta made telescopes such as SkyWatcher.
            > We have extra 2.5" and 3.5" DDG focusers available, but we don't have adapter rings to fit them to different telescope models.
            > Different telescope has different adapter ring.
            > For your telescope, M110, right now we only have one option – to use 3.5" DDG FLT110 focuser which costs $599 with shipping.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Tim
            > WO
            >

            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "r3delson" <redelson@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I beleive I've installed this sucessfully on the second attempt.
            > > The first time I had removed the adapter ring thinking it did not work with my scope, the second time I left it on. I have posted a
            > > photo, if it doesnt look right please chime in:

            > > Thanks
            > > Richard
            > >

            > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "r3delson" <redelson@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone tried to upgrade a Megrez 110 with a DDG focuser? I was told by someone from Williams at their NEAF booth this spring that it would be available as an upgrade option to their older scopes so I've ordered one but it doesn't appear to fit the Megrez 110, at least on my first attempt at looking at it. Any ideas?
            > > >
            > > > Richard

          • Dan Heimdahl
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011

              Richard.

              In those price ranges I would seriously considering paying a bit extra and go for the Feathertouch focuser for your scope.

              You will then have a focuser with world class reputation and life time warranty.

              http://starlightinstruments.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=199

              http://starlightinstruments.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=302

              BR
              /Dan