[William Optics] Re: best choice please

  • jeffcook38
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 28, 2010
      Yea, that is really a bargain!
      I got some accessories too.

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bblakeod@...> wrote:

      > JEFF I LOVE YOU MAN !!!!
      >
      > AWESOME. Thank you so much for that link, 2 clicks, me to the link and then purchase. the megrez 90 for $698.00 plus $100 shipping, ebay was cheaper than their own site for shipping.
      >
      > I also got a nice diagonal, and red-dot finder all on sale!
      >
      > I was so close to giving up on Williams due to price and going Orion but i just always wanted a WO scope and soon it will be on its way to me! Now just need a deal on an orion atlas mount LOL.
      >
      > Thanks for all the input from you guys, look forward to setting it up and asking more questions if you don't mind.
      >

      > Happy Black Friday !!!
      >
      > Brian
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, jeffcook38 <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Timm and Brian,
      > > They also have Black Friday great special prices on Ebay:
      > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160511011141&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
      > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160511007373&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
      > >
      > > M90 with shipping will be $798.
      > > ZS80 DDG with shipping will be $588.
      > >
      > > Jeff.
      > >
      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Brian
      > > >
      > > > http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=540
      > > >
      > > > If I were you, I would grab one of these before they are gone - at this price, it is an amazing bargain
      > > >
      > > > Timm

    • Diane
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 29, 2010
        Jeff,

        Congrats on your Black Friday goodies - re the Atlas mount - you can put in a request for the Atlas on Astro Mart and Cloudy Nights. Don't forget your local Astronomy Clubs. I was looking for a Sirius Mount for my WO110 - and posted on our local club sites, a member who was upgrading to heavier mount responded. His Sirius Mount three years old and like new. I purchased it for almost half price no shipping and he was so helpful in demonstrating the set up.

        Another club member has an Atlas on a pier and loves it - you will too!

        Have fun and Happy Holidays!! oh....clear skies!
        Diane

      • Timm B
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2010
          Hi - I can say from my initial testing of the DDG focuser on the 80ED that it performed perfectly in below freezing temperatures!

          It appears to be a very well made, and smartly designed product. If all the DDG focusers are this good, I think WO has a real winner of a focuser design, and it sure seems like WO has listened to customer feedback regarding focuser concerns!

          Timm

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <dianesails@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > Learn your camera and its kit lens, the 18-55mm EF-S IS.  You can do a bunch of AP with just that combo on a tripod.  And you're learning all the time.
          > >
          > > DO NOT JUMP INTO AP AND TRY TO MASTER IT STEP BY STEP.  You're gonna get frustrated, and that's the worst thing that can happen to a "newbie" in AP.  I've been doing AP for 3 years now, and I still consider myself a "newbie," but not possibly an "advanced newbie!!!"
          > >
          > > There's lots of ways to approach AP.  It's a wonderful, enjoyable (most of the time!) hobby.

        • Diane
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 29, 2010
            Timm -

            I just checked our data base you are from Illinois - me, MI-OH line, same latitude so good news, same frigid winter weather. Do you have an obs?

            WO80DDG on it's way, Diane

            Members we have our own private DATA Base - courtesy of Timm, thank you!

          • Timm B
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 29, 2010
              Hi Diane,

              Do I have any obs? Not sure what you mean by that - sorry, maybe I am dense because it is Monday. Are you asking about an observation report? I have had one look so far.

              I was outside with my scopes on Saturday night - the temp dropped to 22 deg F - brrr, it was cold.

              The WO80DDG I am testing performed well optically compared to my 80FD that is 5 years old - slightly visible CA on Jupiter, and some color on Vega, but Vega is unreliably low to the West so it may have been showing some atmospheric CA as well.

            • Dan Heimdahl
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 29, 2010
                Regarding the focuser, in my case for the 110 and to balance all great things. No offense btw and gr8 that your tests went well.
                My FLT110 DDG had a crappy focuser that would not hold the load of a TMB flattener and an SBIG ST-8300.
                Turned out many FLT110 DDG scopes had a to thin Focuser Base Plate. Eventually I recieved a new baseplate for replacement. To the help I also got a Video show me the steps and all went fine. This problem was quite common in early batches and are hopefully now rectified.
                What is needed to be said is that WO QC is not full proof when new models are released. I can also add that the digital DDG settings are extremely sensitive, it must be. But it is very easy to loose any offsets you are using, and it can not be used as an exact focus value between sessions. You always need to do precise focusing manually so to speak. Last the battery on my scope is either empty (hardly used the light activation), or something else is wrong.
                I think there still is work that WO need to do with their focusers, the gap to the FTs are still quite large but it seems WO do make efforts in the right direction.

                BR
                /Dan

                --- In mailto:William-Optics%40yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <dianesails@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > Learn your camera and its kit lens, the 18-55mm EF-S IS.  You can do a bunch of AP with just that combo on a tripod.  And you're learning all the time.
                > >
                > > DO NOT JUMP INTO AP AND TRY TO MASTER IT STEP BY STEP.  You're gonna get frustrated, and that's the worst thing that can happen to a "newbie" in AP.  I've been doing AP for 3 years now, and I still consider myself a "newbie," but not possibly an "advanced newbie!!!"
                > >
                > > There's lots of ways to approach AP.  It's a wonderful, enjoyable (most of the time!) hobby.

              • Diane
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 30, 2010
                  As I read your message I felt concern I'm not experienced like the majority here and doubt I would be able identify the issues you described. I thank you for your report, we need to know the positives and the uncertainties. I will see if I a member of one of the clubs I belong to can check the focuser issues out.

                  Clear skies, Diane