Focus extenders to prevent sagging?

  • richard.colston
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2010
      Dear All

      I bought a new FLT-132 over a year ago and - finally - this summer I got it down to my holiday home in southern Greece where it will stay. However, as I had family with nieces and nephews all demanding BBQs, home cinema and beach trips I had little time to get to know the FLT - although I did get my G11 to point it at the Hercules cluster - bang on first time - so at least the mount is working. That's the background.

      My question concerns collimation of the FLT optical train. I noticed that on passing in and out of focus the stars (and planets) were heavily distorted (streaks). As the focuser tube had a lot of play in it from side-to-side I obviously need to get to grips with the focuser friction setting. I had no time to do this but have read plenty of good advice on this forum which I will apply when next in Greece.

      My question is whether using a focus extender, say 2 inches, would help prevent the focuser tube sagging?

      As I will be exclusively visual for the next few years just adjusting the friction setting will probably be sufficient for now. But what about photography in the future? As I do not know the internal support points in the WO focuser assembly I cannot decide whether an extension tube would help or not. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

      All the best

      Richard
    • Jean-Marie Locci
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2010

        I just received a brand new FLT132. Finish is a beauty, impatient to first-light it (weather not permitting so far)...! Does anyone know where the manufacture is, in particular for the optics? Some say Taiwan some others Japan. May be neither one.

        Also, I have ordered it with a FeatherTouch focuser and surprisingly there is the WO logo (swan) just below the FT logo (feather) on the focuser; probably an “official” reaction from WO to the poor Crayford focuser.

        The contents of this e-mail, including any attachments are the property of INPEX, are intended for use by the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. If you have received this e-mail in error please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. Emails sent or received may be monitored to ensure compliance with the law, regulation and/or INPEX policies.

        Please note: INPEX Perth Office has relocated to Level 22, 100 St Georges Terrace Perth WA 6000. Ph: (08) 6213 6000
      • williammoderator07
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
          Hi All.
          FLT132 lens is made of japanese glass in Taiwan.
          WO.