Re: [William Optics] Re: alternate mount choice / Canon EOS 450 XSi

  • Perry Holcomb
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 2010
      Hey Diane,

      That's exactly what I'm using now.  I bought mine used from a fellow in IL who had purchased the cam with the 18-55mm kit and a Canon 17-85mm.  He wanted to sell the whole thing since he had become ill and couldn't use it.  The box had been opened but the cam had never even been powered up.

      That was right after the 450D came out, so I'm not gonna tell you what I paid for it!!!

      I had mine modded with the UV/IR cutoff filter by Hap Griffin, a South Carolinian, like myself.

      OK, I have GOOD news for you.  I also have a WO ZS66SD, which I couple to the Canon via the WO FLAT2 (or II) FR/FF.  The latter was actually originally made by WO for that scope!  You unscrew the backend off the scope and it leaves a male SCT thread.  The front of the FLAT2 has a ring with a female SCT thread and a t-thread on the back for a t-thread/EOS adapter.  It's a GREAT AP combination!!

      WO does not make the FLAT2 anymore.  You got one????  Sometimes they can be found on AM or CN.

      Don't fret about the cost of the 450D coming down.  That happens with ALL cam models.  It's called "merchandising!!"  Heck, you can get a new Canon 5D MkII for about $1000 less than what its price was when it first appeared.

      I also use my 450D with a lot of cam lenses for AP.  I love doin' the wide angle stuff using Oly Zuiko OM prime lenses (85mm, 50mm, 35mm) and the big 'un, the Canon 200mm f/2.8L II, which is a fantastic lens.  On the 450D, it has an apparent FL of 320mm.  The ZS66ED's is 310mm with the 0.8X FLAT2 in place!

      The Rosette nebula will just about fill the FOV of the ZS66SD with the FLAT2 in place.

      If you haven't already, please join the Yahoo Canon DSLR Digital Astro group.  I've learned a lot there.

      TTYL..and

      Better skies,

      Perry

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16, 2010
        Hey Perry,

        Almost twins....;) I do have the WO Field Flatner purchased along with my WOZS66mm in anticipation and envy of Club Members who do some outstanding imaging with their 66's.

        Soon I hope to add a "WO 110 FLT APO(DDS)" -the beefy one-.

        Please Mr Yang, please respond to one of my emails. I have heard you are devoted to your customers and you do respond to your emails.

        Perry, I appreciate the infor on your camera and will check out the site you mentioned for the how-tos of imaging.

        Okay now here's one more for you. What are you using for a mount, assuming your usage is ultimately Astro imaging. Last year was a difficult year for me personally, much fell to the wayside, I did sell my Meade lx200gps and retained the proceeds for my new WO described above. I hope to make headway this year if I can get the WO-110 scope.

        May I dare ask where (site) you purchased your EOS and about (where to and how much for the modifications).

        Thanks for all, Diane

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Perry Holcomb <hpholcomb@...> wrote:

        > Hey Diane,
        >
        > That's exactly what I'm using now.  I bought mine used from a fellow in IL who had purchased the cam with the 18-55mm kit and a Canon 17-85mm.  He wanted to sell the whole thing since he had become ill and couldn't use it.  The box had been opened but the cam had never even been powered up.
        >
        > That was right after the 450D came out, so I'm not gonna tell you what I paid for it!!!
        >
        > I had mine modded with the UV/IR cutoff filter by Hap Griffin, a South Carolinian, like myself.
        >
        > OK, I have GOOD news for you.  I also have a WO ZS66SD, which I couple to the Canon via the WO FLAT2 (or II) FR/FF.  The latter was actually originally made by WO for that scope!  You unscrew the backend off the scope and it leaves a male SCT thread.  The front of the FLAT2 has a ring with a female SCT thread and a t-thread on the back for a t-thread/EOS adapter.  It's a GREAT AP combination!!
        >
        > WO does not make the FLAT2 anymore.  You got one????  Sometimes they can be found on AM or CN.
        >
        > Don't fret about the cost of the 450D coming down.  That happens with ALL cam models.  It's called "merchandising!!"  Heck, you can get a new Canon 5D MkII for about $1000 less than what its price was when it first appeared.
        >
        > I also use my 450D with a lot of cam lenses for AP.  I love doin' the wide angle stuff using Oly Zuiko OM prime lenses (85mm, 50mm, 35mm) and the big 'un, the Canon 200mm f/2.8L II, which is a fantastic lens.  On the 450D, it has an apparent FL of 320mm.  The ZS66ED's is 310mm with the 0.8X FLAT2 in place!
        >
        > The Rosette nebula will just about fill the FOV of the ZS66SD with the FLAT2 in place.
        >
        > If you haven't already, please join the Yahoo Canon DSLR Digital Astro group.  I've learned a lot there.
        >
        > TTYL..and
        >
        > Better skies,
        >
        > Perry

      • Perry Holcomb
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2010
          Hey Diane,

          See bold italics below.

          pH

          Almost twins....;) I do have the WO Field Flatner purchased along with my WOZS66mm in anticipation and envy of Club Members who do some outstanding imaging with their 66's.

          Soon I hope to add a "WO 110 FLT APO(DDS)" -the beefy one-.

          I had a WO M110.  Sold it because the stock focuser was poor, and that's being nice.  If it had been a triplet, I would have upgraded the focuser with a Feather Touch.  I sold it on AM.

          Please Mr Yang, please respond to one of my emails. I have heard you are devoted to your customers and you do respond to your emails.

          Perry, I appreciate the infor on your camera and will check out the site you mentioned for the how-tos of imaging.

          Okay now here's one more for you. What are you using for a mount, assuming your usage is ultimately Astro imaging. Last year was a difficult year for me personally, much fell to the wayside, I did sell my Meade lx200gps and retained the proceeds for my new WO described above. I hope to make headway this year if I can get the WO-110 scope.

          I use the AstroTrac sitting on the AT wedge and that's on a Bogen 3050 tripod.  On top of the AT is either a Manfrotto 490 RC4 heavy-duty ball head or a geared 410, depending on what I'm using.  I use everything from the ZS66SD to a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 to a Canon 200mm F/2.8L EF II then down to Oly Zuiko primes from 85mm to 35mm and the Canon 18-35mm EF-S kit lens.  At the shortest FL of the primes is a Canon 20mm f/2.8 EF.   I use a Canon 450DM and will begin using a 5D2M as soon as I finish learning to use it!!

          May I dare ask where (site) you purchased your EOS and about (where to and how much for the modifications).

          The "M" above represents the UV/IR cutoff filter mod by Hap Griffin, a fellow South Carolinian.  The following is the link to his site that discusses mods and prices.

                 http://www.hapg.org/camera%20mods.htm

          I purchased my 450D from a fellow in IL who had bought it but never used it due to unexpected health isssues.  I sent it to Hap for the mod.  The purchase was made about 3-4 months after the 450D's introduction, and I paid about $200 less than what they were going for at big box cam shops and on eBay.  I've really enjoyed using it., especially live view.

          Since the intro of the 500D and 550D, prices of the 450D have dropped significantly since I purchased mine.

          Thanks for all, Diane

          And you are so welcome.

          Perry

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Perry Holcomb <hpholcomb@...> wrote:

          > Hey Diane,
          >
          > That's exactly what I'm using now.  I bought mine used from a fellow in IL who had purchased the cam with the 18-55mm kit and a Canon 17-85mm.  He wanted to sell the whole thing since he had become ill and couldn't use it.  The box had been opened but the cam had never even been powered up.
          >
          > That was right after the 450D came out, so I'm not gonna tell you what I paid for it!!!
          >
          > I had mine modded with the UV/IR cutoff filter by Hap Griffin, a South Carolinian, like myself.
          >
          > OK, I have GOOD news for you.  I also have a WO ZS66SD, which I couple to the Canon via the WO FLAT2 (or II) FR/FF.  The latter was actually originally made by WO for that scope!  You unscrew the backend off the scope and it leaves a male SCT thread.  The front of the FLAT2 has a ring with a female SCT thread and a t-thread on the back for a t-thread/EOS adapter.  It's a GREAT AP combination!!
          >
          > WO does not make the FLAT2 anymore.  You got one????  Sometimes they can be found on AM or CN.
          >
          > Don't fret about the cost of the 450D coming down.  That happens with ALL cam models.  It's called "merchandising!!"  Heck, you can get a new Canon 5D MkII for about $1000 less than what its price was when it first appeared.
          >
          > I also use my 450D with a lot of cam lenses for AP.  I love doin' the wide angle stuff using Oly Zuiko OM prime lenses (85mm, 50mm, 35mm) and the big 'un, the Canon 200mm f/2.8L II, which is a fantastic lens.  On the 450D, it has an apparent FL of 320mm.  The ZS66ED's is 310mm with the 0.8X FLAT2 in place!
          >
          > The Rosette nebula will just about fill the FOV of the ZS66SD with the FLAT2 in place.
          >
          > If you haven't already, please join the Yahoo Canon DSLR Digital Astro group.  I've learned a lot there.
          >
          > TTYL..and
          >
          > Better skies,
          >
          > Perry

        • DianeBWorth
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 2010
            Sorry guilty - I do that alot!! D.

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Perry Holcomb <hpholcomb@...> wrote:

            > Hey Diane,
            >
            > See bold italics below.
            >
            > pH

          • H P
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 17, 2010
              Hey Diane,

              This is problematical reading.

              If you go to the group and read the messages there, my reply is in the correct format!

              It certainly isn't in your "reply-reply" below as an individual message to me!!

              pH