Re: [William-Optics] Megrez 80 and finder

  • J Boyd
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
      Salvatore,

      Yes...I have tried both mounted to the WO rings on my Megrez.  I tried it several ways. I can send you pics of what they looked like if you would like. Between the two I preferred the Rigel to the Telrad on the short tube. Also the RIgel sat higher and was a easier to use. After trying both I ended up mounting a TeleVue Star Beam on an accessory bar mounted to the rings. This is the best setup I have used with the Megrez. In fact I use the Star Beam on all of my refractors. You can check out the current configuration at:

      Go to Equipment/Megrez 80

      Hope that helps some. If you have any specific questions let me know.

      John Boyd
      Titusville, FL.
      Has anybody used the Megrez with either the Telrad or the Rigel Quickfinder?
      Any thoughts on these 2 finders??

      thanks,
      Salvatore

    • sbrekkeus
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
        > http://home.cfl.rr.com/jcboyd/index.html
        >
        > Go to Equipment/Megrez 80
        >
        > Hope that helps some. If you have any specific questions let me
        know.

        > John Boyd
        > Titusville, FL.
        > Web: http://home.cfl.rr.com/jcboyd/index.html

        John,
        thanks for posting this. I gave a fairly wordy reply, but your
        pictures make it much clearer what I was trying to get across than I
        was able to when I referred to an aluminum plate straddling the rings.

        It looks like you went through the same learning curve that I did and
        came up with the pretty much the same answer, except that I could not
        quite justify the higher cost of the TeleVue unit.

        I am sure that the TeleVue unit is optically and mechanically
        superior to Celestron 'star pointer' or Orion EZ finder, but at $205
        dollars (list is $285!) the TeleVue Starbeam is just a little pricey
        for a finder. Still I must admit that the latest model TeleVue 'star
        beam' with the flip mirror looks like a very nice product, and the
        price is still less than one 'premium' eyepiece.

        Here's how a few of these smaller reflex sights stack up
        (in order of cost).

        Option 1.

        BB gun style 'red dot' sight available at most department stores or
        sporting goods stores.

        Advantage - very low cost (as low as about 12-15 dollars)

        Disadvantage
        Many don't have adjustable brightness. Some do have a 2 level
        switch, but nearly all still have a 'tinted' window which helps in
        daylight, but makes them VERY hard to see through at night.

        Warning: the 'Scopetronix' red dot sight is basically a relabeled bb-
        gun sight (at about twice the cost), and the unit I received did have
        the 'tinted window' problem described above

        Not recommended

        Option 2

        Celsetron Starpointer

        Advantages - Lowest cost 1x reflex sight which has adjustable
        brightness and a 'water clear' viewing window, optimized for use as
        astronomical finder.

        Disadvantages - no 'quick connect/disconnect' feature on the
        dovetail. Battery clip looks a little cheap (not too bad because the
        battery is underneath and you don't really notice until you go to
        replace it).

        Recommend if cost is an issue and you are looking for the lowest cost
        unit which will do a good job as an astronomical finder.

        The start pointer is a little tricky to locate so here's a link.

        http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=552&m=1

        Option 3

        Orion EZ Finder™ II Reflex Sight

        Advantages - Similar overall construction to the Celestron
        Starpointer above, also with adjustable brightness, but makes better
        options available for quick connect and removal, including thumb
        screws for the dovetail built into the unit and an extension bracket
        which can be used with an optional base which has an even easier to
        disconnect dovetail. Can be moved quickly from scope to scope.

        Disadvantages - None to speak of, except that the cost is a few
        dollars more than the Celsetron unit, and the construction quality,
        though perfectly adequate, is not quite as nice as the TeleVue
        Starbeam. On the other hand it's not really fair to compare this
        unit with a unit which sells for almost 6 time the cost.

        Special Note TeleVue makes two different 'reflex sights'. The Orion
        unit IS BETTER than the EQUIVALENT TeleVue `Qwik- point' reflex sight
        which has a junky little circuit board hanging out of the battery
        clip (worse than the Celestron or Orion unit).

        The Orion EZ Finder is highly recommended as a good flexible low cost
        unit (unless you demand the absolute best and are willing to spend
        205 for the higher end TeleVue Starbeam).

        Here's a link
        http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=164&it
        emType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=finder

        (long link may not work but it's easy to search the Orion site)

        http://www.telescope.com

        Option 4

        TeleVue Starbeam

        Advantages - Widest Aperture gives wider FOV at 1x, best construction
        quality, flip mirror provided for viewing near zenith.

        Disadvantages - Almost 6 times the cost of the other options
        ($205 vs. $29 - $35).

        A very Nice unit, Highly recommended if you have the money.

        Here's a link showing the TeleVue 'Starbeam'

        http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=2738&m=3

        Warning - Don't confuse the Starbeam with the lower cost TeleVue
        'Qwik-point' which is the same cost as the Orion unit but is not as
        well liked because it has a circuit board hanging from the battery
        clip.

        Hope this info helps out, Salvatore.

        Steve B.
      • scopacanoe
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2003
          Thanks Jim, the Orion looks good, the field has definately been
          narrowed down (no pun intended :) )

          ciao,
          Salvatore

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "James Stephens"

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > Never get a busy signal because you are always connected with high-
          speed
          > Internet access. Click here to comparison-shop providers.
          > https://broadband.msn.com
        • scopacanoe
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2003
            Thanks John, Very nice site, and great equipment selection!

            ciao,
            Salvatore

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "J Boyd" <jb2064@c...> wrote:
            > Salvatore,
            >
            > Yes...I have tried both mounted to the WO rings on my Megrez. I
            tried it several ways. I can send you pics of what they looked like
            if you would like. Between the two I preferred the Rigel to the
            Telrad on the short tube. Also the RIgel sat higher and was a easier
            to use. After trying both I ended up mounting a TeleVue Star Beam on
            an accessory bar mounted to the rings. This is the best setup I have
            used with the Megrez. In fact I use the Star Beam on all of my
            refractors. You can check out the current configuration at:

            > http://home.cfl.rr.com/jcboyd/index.html
            >
            > Go to Equipment/Megrez 80
            >
            > Hope that helps some. If you have any specific questions let me
            know.

            > John Boyd
            > Titusville, FL.
            > Web: http://home.cfl.rr.com/jcboyd/index.html

            Service.
          • scopacanoe
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 4, 2003
              Thanks Steve, You've done a very informative job, thanks for going
              the extra mile, and doing all the research for me!!!
              The Orion looks like the one for me.

              ciao,
              Salvatore
            • WarpedCorp
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 4, 2003
                You may want to also check out www.scopestuff.com.... they have one for $25.00 which has a nice large aperture and variable brightness.

                Warp

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "scopacanoe"
                  <scopacasa.salvatore@i...> wrote:
                  > Thanks Steve, You've done a very informative job, thanks for going
                  > the extra mile, and doing all the research for me!!!
                  > The Orion looks like the one for me.
                  >
                  > ciao,
                  > Salvatore

                  Salvatore,
                  I'm sure you will find the Orion unit will do the job.

                  Here are a few final tips . . .

                  First I have found helps a lot with any of these 1x red dot sights to
                  keep BOTH eyes open when using the sight. Your stereo vision will
                  keep the starfield aligned, so you aren't limited by the field of
                  view of the unit, and you will then see the red dot superimposed on
                  the whole sky.

                  I have also found that the plastic optics in the finder will tend to
                  collect dust and are a little tricky to clean, so you might want to
                  keep the unit covered with a small plastic bag secured by a rubber
                  band when the finder is in storage. I keep a larger plastic bag
                  draped over my scope when not in use, but this alone did not keep the
                  finder from becoming quit dusty after several months. It's a shame
                  that the 'red dot' style finders don't come with dust caps like other
                  finders, but the little plastic bag and rubber band trick works fine.

                  Steve
                • Dan Wolk
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 18, 2003
                    The Megrez 80 IS my finder! A great imaging scope too!

                    Just my 2 pesos

                    Dan NM