Re: [William-Optics] Re: Megrez 80 and finder

  • James Stephens
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2003
      Have a look at the ORION EZ-Finder. It is compact and has a nice,
      low-profile base. I have a small Maksutov-Cassegrain (a 1970's vintage Ad
      Astra--a 3" aperture, 760 mm FL guy that is about eight inches long) that
      was virtually impossible to aim until I fit it out with this compact sight.

      Good luxk,
      Jim

      James Stephens, PhD
      14220 Park Row 436
      Houston TX 77084
      281-920-4580 (home)

> [...]
      > >
      > > thanks,
      > > Salvatore
      >

      >Salvatore,
      >The Telrad and the Rigel Quickfinder are both fine products, but you
      >might find them a bit large for the Megrez. Although even these huge
      >finders could be accommodated by running a 3/16 to 1/8 inch (2mm -
      >3mm) aluminum mounting plate between the mounting rings (to use as a
      >base), they would probably look a little out of place on the tiny
      >Megrez (they are most often used on large DOBs).
      >
      >The main advantage of the Telrad and the Rigel Quickfinder is that
      >there is slightly better pointing accuracy in these larger units.
      >This is needed in larger DOBS because it is hard to get a very wide
      >real FOV in these scopes even with a 2 inch eyepiece. So having a
      >somewhat more accurate reflex sight is a big advantage in these
      >scopes because it helps insure that the object will be in the field
      >of the eyepiece.
      >
      >The Megrez has a wide enough field of view right out of the box with
      >the supplied 1 1/4 inch eyepiece, that the lower cost and more
      >compact 'red dot' sights will work very well.
      >
      >So I would suggest a smaller 'red dot' finder. The Celestron star
      >pointer is only about 29 dollars. and It includes a simple plastic
      >dovetail base which can be screwed to one of the scopes mounting
      >rings or to a plate straddling both rings.
      >
      >The Orion EZ Finder II Reflex Sight is also a nice unit. The Orion
      >unit costs 35 dollars and is basically the same as the Celestron unit
      >except that it includes an extended Dovetail bracket designed to use
      >on a lot of the Orion, Celestron, and Vixen scopes. The Megrez lacks
      >the proper dovetail base but Orion sells a mounting base (PN 07214
      >'Dovetail Base for Finder Scope') which can be screwed to an aluminum
      >plate straddling the mounting rings on the Megrez to allow this
      >finder to be easily mounted, and removed when not needed. This
      >approach would cost a few dollars more than the Celestron star
      >pointer but would have the advantage, that, you could also
      >interchange one of Orions 'right angle' Optical finders which would
      >fit on the same base (if you wanted to buy one later). Right angle
      >finders are VERY handy when trying to locate objects located near
      >zenith.
      >
      >Steve B.
      >
      >P.S.
      >I often can avoid the use of the finder with my Megrez 80 entirely.
      >With my 40mm wide field eyepiece in the Megrez 80 the magnification
      >is 12x (about the same as some finders) and the wide apparent field
      >of my Optilux eyepiece actually makes the actual field of view about
      >4.5 degrees which is wider than some finders.
      >
      >On the other hand, the Optilux 40mm eyepiece at about 150 dollars,
      >and this is a lot more money than a low cost finder. Also, it's not
      >always convenient to have to change eyepieces every time you want to
      >locate something. So the adding at least a low cost 'red dot' finder

      Never get a busy signal because you are always connected with high-speed
      Internet access. Click here to comparison-shop providers.
      https://broadband.msn.com
    • J Boyd
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
        Salvatore,

        Yes...I have tried both mounted to the WO rings on my Megrez.  I tried it several ways. I can send you pics of what they looked like if you would like. Between the two I preferred the Rigel to the Telrad on the short tube. Also the RIgel sat higher and was a easier to use. After trying both I ended up mounting a TeleVue Star Beam on an accessory bar mounted to the rings. This is the best setup I have used with the Megrez. In fact I use the Star Beam on all of my refractors. You can check out the current configuration at:

        Go to Equipment/Megrez 80

        Hope that helps some. If you have any specific questions let me know.

        John Boyd
        Titusville, FL.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2003
          > http://home.cfl.rr.com/jcboyd/index.html
          >
          > Go to Equipment/Megrez 80
          >
          > Hope that helps some. If you have any specific questions let me
          know.

          > John Boyd
          > Titusville, FL.
          > Web: http://home.cfl.rr.com/jcboyd/index.html

          John,
          thanks for posting this. I gave a fairly wordy reply, but your
          pictures make it much clearer what I was trying to get across than I
          was able to when I referred to an aluminum plate straddling the rings.

          It looks like you went through the same learning curve that I did and
          came up with the pretty much the same answer, except that I could not
          quite justify the higher cost of the TeleVue unit.

          I am sure that the TeleVue unit is optically and mechanically
          superior to Celestron 'star pointer' or Orion EZ finder, but at $205
          dollars (list is $285!) the TeleVue Starbeam is just a little pricey
          for a finder. Still I must admit that the latest model TeleVue 'star
          beam' with the flip mirror looks like a very nice product, and the
          price is still less than one 'premium' eyepiece.

          Here's how a few of these smaller reflex sights stack up
          (in order of cost).

          Option 1.

          BB gun style 'red dot' sight available at most department stores or
          sporting goods stores.

          Advantage - very low cost (as low as about 12-15 dollars)

          Disadvantage
          Many don't have adjustable brightness. Some do have a 2 level
          switch, but nearly all still have a 'tinted' window which helps in
          daylight, but makes them VERY hard to see through at night.

          Warning: the 'Scopetronix' red dot sight is basically a relabeled bb-
          gun sight (at about twice the cost), and the unit I received did have
          the 'tinted window' problem described above

          Not recommended

          Option 2

          Celsetron Starpointer

          Advantages - Lowest cost 1x reflex sight which has adjustable
          brightness and a 'water clear' viewing window, optimized for use as
          astronomical finder.

          Disadvantages - no 'quick connect/disconnect' feature on the
          dovetail. Battery clip looks a little cheap (not too bad because the
          battery is underneath and you don't really notice until you go to
          replace it).

          Recommend if cost is an issue and you are looking for the lowest cost
          unit which will do a good job as an astronomical finder.

          The start pointer is a little tricky to locate so here's a link.

          http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=552&m=1

          Option 3

          Orion EZ Finder™ II Reflex Sight

          Advantages - Similar overall construction to the Celestron
          Starpointer above, also with adjustable brightness, but makes better
          options available for quick connect and removal, including thumb
          screws for the dovetail built into the unit and an extension bracket
          which can be used with an optional base which has an even easier to
          disconnect dovetail. Can be moved quickly from scope to scope.

          Disadvantages - None to speak of, except that the cost is a few
          dollars more than the Celsetron unit, and the construction quality,
          though perfectly adequate, is not quite as nice as the TeleVue
          Starbeam. On the other hand it's not really fair to compare this
          unit with a unit which sells for almost 6 time the cost.

          Special Note TeleVue makes two different 'reflex sights'. The Orion
          unit IS BETTER than the EQUIVALENT TeleVue `Qwik- point' reflex sight
          which has a junky little circuit board hanging out of the battery
          clip (worse than the Celestron or Orion unit).

          The Orion EZ Finder is highly recommended as a good flexible low cost
          unit (unless you demand the absolute best and are willing to spend
          205 for the higher end TeleVue Starbeam).

          Here's a link
          http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=164&it
          emType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=finder

          (long link may not work but it's easy to search the Orion site)

          http://www.telescope.com

          Option 4

          TeleVue Starbeam

          Advantages - Widest Aperture gives wider FOV at 1x, best construction
          quality, flip mirror provided for viewing near zenith.

          Disadvantages - Almost 6 times the cost of the other options
          ($205 vs. $29 - $35).

          A very Nice unit, Highly recommended if you have the money.

          Here's a link showing the TeleVue 'Starbeam'

          http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=2738&m=3

          Warning - Don't confuse the Starbeam with the lower cost TeleVue
          'Qwik-point' which is the same cost as the Orion unit but is not as
          well liked because it has a circuit board hanging from the battery
          clip.

          Hope this info helps out, Salvatore.

          Steve B.
        • scopacanoe
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2003
            Thanks Jim, the Orion looks good, the field has definately been
            narrowed down (no pun intended :) )

            ciao,
            Salvatore

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "James Stephens"

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > Never get a busy signal because you are always connected with high-
            speed
            > Internet access. Click here to comparison-shop providers.
            > https://broadband.msn.com
          • scopacanoe
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 4, 2003
              Thanks John, Very nice site, and great equipment selection!

              ciao,
              Salvatore

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "J Boyd" <jb2064@c...> wrote:
              > Salvatore,
              >
              > Yes...I have tried both mounted to the WO rings on my Megrez. I
              tried it several ways. I can send you pics of what they looked like
              if you would like. Between the two I preferred the Rigel to the
              Telrad on the short tube. Also the RIgel sat higher and was a easier
              to use. After trying both I ended up mounting a TeleVue Star Beam on
              an accessory bar mounted to the rings. This is the best setup I have
              used with the Megrez. In fact I use the Star Beam on all of my
              refractors. You can check out the current configuration at:

              > http://home.cfl.rr.com/jcboyd/index.html
              >
              > Go to Equipment/Megrez 80
              >
              > Hope that helps some. If you have any specific questions let me
              know.

              > John Boyd
              > Titusville, FL.
              > Web: http://home.cfl.rr.com/jcboyd/index.html

              Service.
            • scopacanoe
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 4, 2003
                Thanks Steve, You've done a very informative job, thanks for going
                the extra mile, and doing all the research for me!!!
                The Orion looks like the one for me.

                ciao,
                Salvatore
              • WarpedCorp
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 4, 2003
                  You may want to also check out www.scopestuff.com.... they have one for $25.00 which has a nice large aperture and variable brightness.

                  Warp

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "scopacanoe"
                    <scopacasa.salvatore@i...> wrote:
                    > Thanks Steve, You've done a very informative job, thanks for going
                    > the extra mile, and doing all the research for me!!!
                    > The Orion looks like the one for me.
                    >
                    > ciao,
                    > Salvatore

                    Salvatore,
                    I'm sure you will find the Orion unit will do the job.

                    Here are a few final tips . . .

                    First I have found helps a lot with any of these 1x red dot sights to
                    keep BOTH eyes open when using the sight. Your stereo vision will
                    keep the starfield aligned, so you aren't limited by the field of
                    view of the unit, and you will then see the red dot superimposed on
                    the whole sky.

                    I have also found that the plastic optics in the finder will tend to
                    collect dust and are a little tricky to clean, so you might want to
                    keep the unit covered with a small plastic bag secured by a rubber
                    band when the finder is in storage. I keep a larger plastic bag
                    draped over my scope when not in use, but this alone did not keep the
                    finder from becoming quit dusty after several months. It's a shame
                    that the 'red dot' style finders don't come with dust caps like other
                    finders, but the little plastic bag and rubber band trick works fine.

                    Steve
                  • Dan Wolk
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 18, 2003
                      The Megrez 80 IS my finder! A great imaging scope too!

                      Just my 2 pesos

                      Dan NM