Flt-132 on the way

  • faron123us
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 10 6:06 PM
      Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics(excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)

      Faron
    • Dave Yates
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 10 6:38 PM
        Congrats faron Cheers Dave yates

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 10 7:04 PM
          Hi Dave, nice to see you here. Any bites on that C11? I'm waiting to put mine up there but I don't want to drive both of our prices down so I'll hold off for awhile;)

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Yates " <daveyates80@...> wrote:

          > Congrats faron Cheers Dave yates

        • Dave Yates
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 10 7:12 PM
            Nope.... No demand it seems

            Hi Dave, nice to see you here. Any bites on that C11? I'm waiting to put mine up there but I don't want to drive both of our prices down so I'll hold off for awhile;)

            --- In William-Optics@ yahoogroups. com, "Dave Yates " <daveyates80@ ...> wrote:

            > Congrats faron Cheers Dave yates

          • Luis Diaz Santana
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 10 7:17 PM
              Hello Faron, and wellcome to the group, my scope came from Taiwan to Mexico in less than 6 days,
              Luis

              Hi Dave, nice to see you here. Any bites on that C11? I'm waiting to put mine up there but I don't want to drive both of our prices down so I'll hold off for awhile;)

              --- In William-Optics@ yahoogroups. com, "Dave Yates " <daveyates80@ ...> wrote:

              > Congrats faron Cheers Dave yates

              ¡Obtén la mejor experiencia en la web!
              Descarga gratis el nuevo Internet Explorer 8
              http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=e1
            • faron123us
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 10 8:24 PM
                Luis that is fast shipping. It's possible then I may see it in a week

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Luis Diaz Santana <med_diaz00@...> wrote:

                > Hello Faron, and wellcome to the group, my scope came from Taiwan to Mexico in less than 6 days,
                > Luis

              • Bob
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 11 4:16 AM

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 11 7:04 AM
                    Hi Bob, considering it was the first in the US, I'm sure there were many awaiting that first light report. Have you tried the TMB flattener on your scope?

                    Faron

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics(excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                    >
                    > Faron

                  • Bob
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 11 7:48 AM
                      No because the chip size of all my camera's except the 5D are small not requiring a flattener. One piece of equipment you should get is the William extender for the 132 keeps the camera close to the focuser. Keep it simple and cheep.
                      Hi Bob, considering it was the first in the US, I'm sure there were many awaiting that first light report. Have you tried the TMB flattener on your scope?

                      Faron

                      --- In William-Optics@ yahoogroups. com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics( excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                      >
                      > Faron

                    • faron123us
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 11 9:31 AM
                        Bob, is there enough travel already for a Dslr? I use the orion adapt like the one on the left in this link below. This keeps everything nice and close.

                        http://www.telescope.com/control/astrophotography/astrophotography-accessories/orion-prime-focus-camera-adapters
                        Faron

                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics(excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                        >
                        > Faron

                      • Bob
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 11 4:09 PM
                          Bob, is there enough travel already for a Dslr? I use the orion adapt like the one on the left in this link below. This keeps everything nice and close.

                          http://www.telescop e.com/control/ astrophotography /astrophotograph y-accessories/ orion-prime- focus-camera- adapters
                          Faron

                          --- In William-Optics@ yahoogroups. com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics( excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                          >
                          > Faron

                        • faron123us
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 12 5:39 AM
                            Thanks for the info Bob
                            Faron

                            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                            > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics(excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                            >
                            > Faron

                          • faron123us
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 17 8:30 AM
                              The scope as arrived, actually it came in yesterday. I'm on my way to pick it up now. So that's from Taiwan to Canada in 6 days including weekend!!
                              Faron

                              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                              > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics(excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                              >
                              > Faron

                            • John Allcock
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 17 8:52 AM
                                Hi Faron:

                                     Unfortunately, I can't make any useful comments on the W.O. scopes as I unfortunately don't have one, I _CAN_ comment on the service,

                                delivery time and free shipping to Canada- Montreal. When he had a recent sale, (the Devil made me do it!!!) I couldn't resist his SCT Crayford

                                focuser at $199.00  (too bad it wasn't _NOW_ with the dollar nearly at par!!) It really is a beautiful piece of work- no loose parts, compression

                                rings take up the slack when you tighten up the set screws. A two speed focuser with vernier-like setting and general all-round workmanlike

                                finish.. I have a nuclear physicist friend who is always decrying stuff from China, who opined that while their stuff might be crap, he _WAS_

                                impressed with the Taiwanese products.. Enjoy your new scope- Happy first light!!!!

                                John Allcock

                                Montreal

                                At 11:30 AM 17/03/2010, faron123us wrote:

                                The scope as arrived, actually it came in yesterday. I'm on my way to pick it up now. So that's from Taiwan to Canada in 6 days including weekend!!
                                Faron

                                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                                > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics(excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                                >
                                > Faron

                              • John Allcock
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 17 8:54 AM
                                  Sorry I forgot to say it- Shipping time was not quite a week..
                                  ENJOY

                                  John Allcock
                                  Montreal

                                  At 11:30 AM 17/03/2010, faron123us wrote:

                                  The scope as arrived, actually it came in yesterday. I'm on my way to pick it up now. So that's from Taiwan to Canada in 6 days including weekend!!
                                  Faron

                                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics(excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                                  >
                                  > Faron

                                • Stephen Tate
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 17 10:10 AM
                                    Hey there a small group are off to tiny marsh observing tonight if wish to first light under dark skies as your in the barrie area. if interested contact me via email and I'll send more details. If not I hope you enjoy it
                                    Steve

                                    Sent from my iPhone, so please excuse the bad typing.

                                    On 2010-03-17, at 11:30, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                                    The scope as arrived, actually it came in yesterday. I'm on my way to pick it up now. So that's from Taiwan to Canada in 6 days including weekend!!
                                    Faron

                                    --- In William-Optics@ yahoogroups. com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics( excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                                    >
                                    > Faron

                                  • faron123us
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 19 3:57 PM
                                      Thanks John. Stephen, thanks for the invite.

                                      Waiting to see something on Saturn, two nights out until 1:00am and no details yet,not one band, looks soft. Last night the seeing was average. Collimation looks good, low power deep sky looks good. Chimney test shows CA, M44 and M45 showing something bluish, I don't know if that's a fair to comment too much yet. I'm waiting for it to blow my Megrez 110 away. It still might be a seeing/cooling issue

                                      Jury is still out.

                                      Faron

                                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics(excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                                      >
                                      > Faron

                                    • faron123us
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 21 9:09 PM
                                        I had another day to test out my new scope. After observing for a few nights and coming away with mixed feelings,today everything changed. I feel great about my purchase!! What was bothering me was the fact that I was seeing violet on the stars M45 and M45 as well as some daytime objects. Well today I discovered my 17mm Nagler was the culprit. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic eyepiece, but when used on the flt132 there is definitely something going on. I see blue and yellow fringing on daytime test objects, the Moon and the other objects mentioned. I removed the eyepiece and tried a 12mm Speers Whaler,another 82 degree eyepiece, and the violet was gone.However, here was a slight green fringe around the Moon when using the Speers.

                                        Today I attached my Canon XSI and took some shots of that chimney across the street and that darn white garage door which had blue and yellow fringing around the windows. Wow, the photos looked stunning, like a nice Canon telephoto L lens!! There wasn't a trace of fringing at all and the lines were so straight. Look at the chimney against the white cloudy sky. You have to check it out, it is so clean and free of color it's unbelievable.Look here
                                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/47818572@N00/
                                        The astro photos were taken with my Megrez 110 and a C11 on an EQ6 from light polluted Toronto area. I'm a rookie at AP, still lots to learn.

                                        The icing on the cake was Mars tonight.I upped the power to 370x with a WO 5mm spl and a Meade shorty. I could actually see the north polar cap clearly and what appeared to be a south cap and some C shaped shading.It looked pretty good considering there was a layer of haze in the sky and the power I was using.

                                        I won't get started on how nice it looks and what a great case it came in. I'm very pleased.

                                        Faron

                                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "faron123us" <faron@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics(excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)
                                        >
                                        > Faron

                                      • faron123us
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 23 1:54 PM
                                          Actually, the SPL is a 6mm so that's 308x

> [...]
                                          > >
                                          > > Hi all, I just placed an order through Astromechanics(excellent service)in Canada for a brand new Flt-132.I hope the only color I see on the stars is of the albireo kind. This is by far the most expensive astro purchase to date for me. Anyone have any idea how long it actually takes to ship from Taiwan to Canada? I can't wait for the first light of this canon. I've read so many reviews of 5" apo's over the last week that my head is spinning. I narrowed the list down to two scopes based on size, price, and glass. The TMB130R(original focuser) and the FLT-132. I must say I was pleased with the quick replies from WO. I know I know the focusers, but hey I'm happy with the focuser on my Megrez 110 and the three other WO scopes in the past. Maybe my demands might not be as high as some, or I'm a good tweaker. I plan to hang a Canon Xsi of the back for any imaging and I'm sure the massive focuser can handle that. Ok all you happy Flt-132 owners chime in and tell me what a great scope it is :)

                                        • faron123us
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 28 5:13 PM
                                            There were a few requests to give my final opinion on this scope, so here goes.

                                            Last night was the final test for my Flt-132. It was all sky and no chimneys. It's time to enjoy the excellent views, and carry on with my passion for astro photography. I've learned it takes a good 3 or 4 nights of different conditions to really test a large triplet refractor and not to judge anything until you have a night of good seeing.
                                            My friend invited me over last night so he could test the optics of my scope. He's been in this hobby for a very long time. He's seen the night sky through just about every scope out there. A friend of his also dropped by. This friend is an owner of a couple of Astro Physics refractors and many other high end scopes.

                                            The seeing was very good last night, the temperature was -4C, and there was a gibbous Moon lighting up the sky. I would usually avoid such a bright night. I had forgotten Sirius was a double star, it was plain to see last night. From my location Sirius is directly above Toronto and I generally wouldn't pay much attention to it because it's too turbulent. Once I had it in the fov, I racked the focus back and forth in my 6mm eyepiece and the diffraction rings were perfectly clear, had no hint of color, and the rings looked close to the same inside and outside of focus and it was the same at 308x. I'm not an expert by any means, but to me the scope was very well collimated and had no signs of pinched optics. First target was Saturn, and it was amazing at 150x. The detail I was looking for in this scope was definitely there this time. At 308x, the rings were sharp and there were many colored bands, which were nicely separated. Mars was easy as well, very nice detail considering the moon was 3/4 full and not far from it. My friend offered his Televue binoviewer along with a pair of pentax XW's, I didn't note the focal length because I was in awe, but based on the magnification, I would guess we were at 200x or more.It was either the 10's or even the 7's and 2x amplifier. Wow, what a spacewalk experience, the moon was in 3d, and the detail on Saturn and Mars was even better.It was my friends turn with my scope and his comments were "this scope has very good optics", and "there's no color in this scope". I could tell he was enjoying the view. His friend took a look and agreed with him. He didn't care for the image shifting when focusing with the weight of the bino setup, but did comment that there was quite alot weight on the focuser. The image shift wasn't noticeable with just the eyepieces. I already knew about this before my purchase and I'm ok with it for now. When my setup changes I'll change the focuser. He was a little perplexed with the amount of lateral color on the moon with his Pentax 14mm, it had a little more than my 17mm Nagler. Finally he commented, "it has to be the eyepieces since there's no color at high power". I slewed to m44 and with my 17 Nagler, the stars were pin points right to the edge, and I mean literally.

                                            So the conclusion was, "it's a keeper"

                                            My Megrez 110 is a nice little scope but the Flt-132 is in a whole different league.