Focuser replacement

  • Christian Huyssens
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 29, 2003
      Hello,

      First, some introduction, since it's my first post on this group..
      I am belgian and I live in Lausanne, Switzerland.

      I'm 44 and my interest in astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology began a
      long time ago. I work as a programmer in a software company.

      I finally bought my first "true" telescope 1 1/2 year ago,
      an Europa 300/1200 (F/d 4) on a EQ6 mount, together with a Philips
      ToUcam Pro (not yet modified...)
      I also own the following accessories :
      - Meade 2x Barlow #140
      - Meade series 4000 plössl 26mm and 9.7mm
      - Vixen LV 6mm
      - Scopetronix MaxView 40mm for a forthcoming digital camera

      I made my own laser collimator, handpad controlled focusing motor,
      Hartmann mask and some other minor diy's

      Christmas is approaching ;o), and I was thinking about replacing the
      standard focuser on my Europa 300/F4 mainly to avoid image shift when
      switching focus travel. This would complete my set of focusing tools
      mentioned above with the more important part

      I'm lucky enough to have an astronomy shop close to my office and
      they sell the William Optics #E-CF-NEW Newton Crayford focuser.

      Can you give me your opinion, considering :
      - your device effective ease of use and your practical experience
      - effective zero image shift (are they really that good ?)
      - focus travel length (in order to reach focus with a wide range of
      1.25/2" eyepieces)
      - motorization upgrade, in the same brand or not
      - is there a big difference with JMI focusers (besides price ;-) ?)

      For those who would also own an Orion Optics Telescope, who knows ;o)
      - tube fitting and ease of replacement (not much diy, like drilling
      new holes in the tube, secondary spider adjustment, etc.)
      - other topic I'm not aware of :o|

      Thanks again for your attention,
      Best regards from Switzerland.

      Christian.
    • warpcorp

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 29, 2003
          Thanks a lot for this advice, as you seem to know the device, can you
          tell me if travel focus is long enough ? All the ads I've seen seem
          to mention only 0 to 1 or 1.18" focus travel. I'm afraid this could
          be too short in some configurations...

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "warpcorp" <warpcorp@s...>
          wrote:
          > The WO focuser is a really nice piece of work. It is as they say..
          buttery smooth. way overbuilt and nicely finished. The large knobs
          make it very easy to fine focus and the finish is excellent. The
          JMI's are nice in that they have the integral focuser built in. They
          (JMI) are also very nice finish and build. If WO had a motorized
          version of this focuser for say an additional $75.00 -$100.00, they
          probably would not be able to build them fast enough. I wish they
          made one that would fit on the Synta type refractors.
        • ing1610
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
            Hello Christian,

            I'll introduce myself first, since this is my first post here:

            My name is Carlos Andrade, I'm 26 years old, and live in Portugal.
            Although I've been mildly interested in Astronomy for many years,
            it's only been a year since I bought my first scope...a 60 mm cheapo
            refractor, and a couple of months later an 8" skywatcher dob.

            From what I've been told, the WO newt crayford is the same as the
            baader planetarium version, sold in Europe. A Couple of weeks ago I
            ordered the baader crayford from a local astronomy shop here in
            portugal, www.perseu.pt , to replace the bad quality rack and pinion
            focuser on my synta dob.

            I was also quite worried about the short travel of the focuser, so I
            asked the shop owner about it before making the order. He told me
            that due to that fact, he normally has longer draw tubes which can be
            installed in place of the standard tubes, which double the travel of
            the focuser, reaching around 2".

            Carlos.

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Christian Huyssens"
            <chuyssens@o...> wrote:
            > Thanks a lot for this advice, as you seem to know the device, can
            you
            > tell me if travel focus is long enough ? All the ads I've seen seem
            > to mention only 0 to 1 or 1.18" focus travel. I'm afraid this could
            > be too short in some configurations...
            >
            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "warpcorp" <warpcorp@s...>
            > wrote:
            > > The WO focuser is a really nice piece of work. It is as they
            say..
            > buttery smooth. way overbuilt and nicely finished. The large knobs
            > make it very easy to fine focus and the finish is excellent. The
            > JMI's are nice in that they have the integral focuser built in.
            They
            > (JMI) are also very nice finish and build. If WO had a motorized
            > version of this focuser for say an additional $75.00 -$100.00, they
            > probably would not be able to build them fast enough. I wish they
            > made one that would fit on the Synta type refractors.
          • Pedro Pereira
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
              Carlos,

              actually they look similar but are not the same !
              This version for Synta-Scopes should be about 63 mm long, so I guess no focusing problems will appear.
              That replacement he mentions is because we sold in the past a few drawtubes from WO to replace the Baader ones.
              I would like also to mention that we where pioneers selling WO focuser (originally from Megrez scopes) to fit the Synta-Scopes about 2 years ago.
              William took this idea forward and made a new product.

              Regards,

              Pedro Pereira
              ---------------------
              BrightStar - Instrumentos Científicos, Lda.
              R. Manuel Vieira, Ed. Olavo Bilac, R/C
              3770-017 Bustos
              PORTUGAL
              Tel. 234.754.688 / Tel. 933.617.765
              Fax. 234.754.688
              www.bstar-science.com
              I'll introduce myself first, since this is my first post here:

              My name is Carlos Andrade, I'm 26 years old, and live in Portugal.
              Although I've been mildly interested in Astronomy for many years,
              it's only been a year since I bought my first scope...a 60 mm cheapo
              refractor, and a couple of months later an 8" skywatcher dob.

              From what I've been told, the WO newt crayford is the same as the

              <chuyssens@o...> wrote:
              > Thanks a lot for this advice, as you seem to know the device, can
              you
              > tell me if travel focus is long enough ? All the ads I've seen seem
              > to mention only 0 to 1 or 1.18" focus travel. I'm afraid this could
              > be too short in some configurations...
              >
              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "warpcorp" <warpcorp@s...>
              > wrote:
              > > The WO focuser is a really nice piece of work.  It is as they
              say..
              > buttery smooth. way overbuilt and nicely finished.  The large knobs
              > make it very easy to fine focus and the finish is excellent.  The
              > JMI's are nice in that they have the integral focuser built in.
              They
              > (JMI) are also very nice finish and build.  If WO had a motorized
              > version of this focuser for say an additional $75.00 -$100.00, they
              > probably would not be able to build them fast enough.  I wish they
              > made one that would fit on the Synta type refractors.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • warpcorp
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
                So... again, the question... is there going to be an adapter to allow this focuser to fit the Meade AR series 5 and 6" refractors?
                When will they be available?
                How much will they cost?

                Thanks
                Warp

                I'll introduce myself first, since this is my first post here:

                My name is Carlos Andrade, I'm 26 years old, and live in Portugal.
                Although I've been mildly interested in Astronomy for many years,
                it's only been a year since I bought my first scope...a 60 mm cheapo
                refractor, and a couple of months later an 8" skywatcher dob.

                From what I've been told, the WO newt crayford is the same as the

                <chuyssens@o...> wrote:
                > Thanks a lot for this advice, as you seem to know the device, can
                you
                > tell me if travel focus is long enough ? All the ads I've seen seem
                > to mention only 0 to 1 or 1.18" focus travel. I'm afraid this could
                > be too short in some configurations...
                >
                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "warpcorp" <warpcorp@s...>
                > wrote:
                > > The WO focuser is a really nice piece of work.  It is as they
                say..
                > buttery smooth. way overbuilt and nicely finished.  The large knobs
                > make it very easy to fine focus and the finish is excellent.  The
                > JMI's are nice in that they have the integral focuser built in.
                They
                > (JMI) are also very nice finish and build.  If WO had a motorized
                > version of this focuser for say an additional $75.00 -$100.00, they
                > probably would not be able to build them fast enough.  I wish they
                > made one that would fit on the Synta type refractors.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • williamoptics2004
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
                  Hi,
                  Please check our website for fitment size.
                  http://www.william-optics.com/accessory/2crayford_focuser.htm
                  we need to buy one Meade AR serise refractor to make this adapter,
                  or maybe some one can tell me the exact adapter size?

                  Thanks.

                  William

                  wrote:
                  > So... again, the question... is there going to be an adapter to
                  allow this
                  > focuser to fit the Meade AR series 5 and 6" refractors?
                  > When will they be available?
                  > How much will they cost?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Warp

                  Service.
                • ing1610
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 30, 2004
                    Thanks for the info Pedro,

                    As a newbie, it's nice to know that there are decent resellers in
                    Portugal, who know alot about what they're doing (as oposed to many
                    department stores here, who have a few telescopes, and have no idea
                    about them...as I suppose happens all over the world)!

                    Carlos.

                    Terms