Re: Removing the FLT-98CF focuser for Feather Touch upgrade

  • astro_scot
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2010
      Hi Michael,

      The red tube adapter can indeed be unscrewed CCW from the tube. We seem to have chosen to follow the same upgrade path. I removed the stock focuser and adapter from my FLT98CF a while back and sent the adpapter to Starlight Instruments so they could take the measurements necessary for machining a custom adapter for a Feather Touch focuser. Hopefully my new focuser amd adapter will be shipped in the next few weeks.

      Regards,
      John

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelFerrari" <mjferrari@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Michael
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williammoderator07" <williammoderator07@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Dear Michael.
      > > Focuser can be removed by loosing 3 plastic screws at the end of the focuser.
      > > Red color ring where focuser is attached can be unscrewed also.
      > > Regards,
      > > WO
      > >

      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelFerrari" <mjferrari@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I've decided to get a Feather Touch focuser to replace the stock focuser on my FLT-98CF. To this end I need to correctly remove the old focuser (duh!). I've written to WO (strange - no response from them after 3 days), and I've looked at the threads in this forum and pictures in the Files section, but I can't find a definitive answer on how to remove my focuser (I may not have looked hard enough; please point me in the right direction if I haven't).
      > > >
      > > > To this end I've uploaded 2 pictures in the Files section here under the folder name MichaelFerrari. One picture is from the side of my focuser, the other is from the bottom. The pictures of my focuser are NOT the same as the ones shown on the WO website for my carbon fiber FLT-98, so that is why I'm asking for help here. The measurements in the pictures come from my digital caliper.
      > > >
      > > > In looking at my pictures, I'm assuming that the focuser is held into the red tube adapter via 3 set screws that tighten/loosen the 360 degree pinch plate. I'm also assuming that the red WO tube adapter can be unscrewed from the carbon fiber tube (this is where, I'm assuming, that the Feather Touch tube adapter replaces the red WO one).
      > > >
      > > > Now for the questions:
      > > >
      > > > Do I remove the 3 set screws for the pinch plate before unscrewing the red tube adapter? Does the red WO tube adapter unscrew from the carbon fiber tube CCW when viewing the tube adapter from the drawtube end of the focuser (looking from the focuser toward the objective lens)? Should I clean anything (compressed air, cloth, etc.) from inside the OTA tube/threads while I have the focuser removed?
      > > >
      > > > Sorry for these elementary questions, but I want to make sure that I have all my "ducks in a row" before I attempt the removal of the stock focuser. Wayne of Feather Touch says that they are now in the process of making tube adapters for the 98 carbon fiber; they would be ready around the 3rd week in January. I'm not ordering the Micro Touch motor system yet (my SO is having a heart attack over the manual focuser price), but I like the fact that I can add the Micro Touch system later, without having to send the Feather Touch back to Starlight (one of the reasons why I chose the Feather Touch over MoonLite; the other is that I still can retain manual use of the focuser even after I upgrade it to the Micro Touch system).

    • MichaelFerrari
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2010
        Hi John,

        Great information! Our stock 2.5" focuser is nice, but the Feather Touch is in another league. Are you getting the motor option too? I like the fact that you can add the motor option later without having to send the focuser back to Starlight.

        I should be ordering mine within the next few weeks, so I probably don't need to provide them with measurements; you've done all of that for me!

        Good luck with your upgrade.

        Michael