Re: [William Optics] Electronic focuser suggestions for FLT-98CF?

  • Mark Acker
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
      My guess would be that they need to check on what size barrel is used.  I have a JMI on my SCT an

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 16, 2009
        I don't remember but I think someone posted on this at some point - try searching if you can, maybe something will show up.

        Timm

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Mark Acker <markacker@...> wrote:

        > My guess would be that they need to check on what size barrel is used.  I have a JMI on my SCT an

      • MichaelFerrari
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 16, 2009
          Thanks Timm, I'll try to do a search again. I really hate the Yahoo Groups search; sometimes I search for a word that I know is here but the search doesn't find it :(

          Michael

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@...> wrote:

          > I don't remember but I think someone posted on this at some point - try searching if you can, maybe something will show up.
          >
          > Timm
          >

          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Mark Acker <markacker@> wrote:
          > >
          > > My guess would be that they need to check on what size barrel is used.  I have a JMI on my SCT an

        • MichaelFerrari
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 16, 2009
            Yes, they need a pic of the underside of the FLT-98 focuser as they couldn't determine if the part I needed was for the Megrez 90/Synta or Megrez 110.

            Michael

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Mark Acker <markacker@...> wrote:

            > My guess would be that they need to check on what size barrel is used.  I have a JMI on my SCT an

          • MichaelFerrari
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 17, 2009
              Well, I just got a reply from JMI, and it looks like their MOTOFOCUS is out of the running. According to their production manager, they don't make a MOTOFOCUS module for my Crayford focuser. I could have them do a "custom" mount, but I would have to send them my focuser. I don't think I would want to do that.

              When I asked the folks at WO to suggest an electronic focuser, they suggested that I try JMI or Robofocus. I guess they weren't aware that JMI doesn't make a module for the FLT-98CF. I'm going to send an email to their tech support people advising them of this.

              Michael

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelFerrari" <mjferrari@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I'm glad to have found this group! I've had my FLT-98CF since March 2009; it's nice to talk to others that have WO products.
              >
              > I've decided to get into astrophotography (I have my FLT-98CF on a Losmandy GM-8 with Gemini). I have an SBIG ST-402ME for my main camera, and I'm planning to add a guide scope (like a Stellarvue 50mm or a Lumicon 50mm) and autoguider (Orion StarShoot or Meade DSI Pro II with GPUSB). I also want to get an electronic focuser to make it easier for me to adjust focus while controlling the scope from my laptop with MaxIm DL.
              >
              > I've been investigating electronic focusers, and I've found two that may work - JMI's MOTOFOCUS and RoboFocus. I reallyi don't want to replace the entire Crayford focuser with the likes of a Feather Touch, if indeed the standard Crayford focuser on my FLT-98CF can "cut the mustard". Does anyone have experiences with these two electronic focusers? Are any other motorized focusers a viable option?
              >
              > Thanks for your time.
              >
              > Michael

            • Christopher Purves
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 17, 2009
                Just to say I have a robofocus on my 110 flt and 72 megrez both worked well.

                Chris

                To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
                From: mjferrari@...
                Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 01:19:23 +0000
                Subject: [William Optics] Re: Electronic focuser suggestions for FLT-98CF?

                Well, I just got a reply from JMI, and it looks like their MOTOFOCUS is out of the running. According to their production manager, they don't make a MOTOFOCUS module for my Crayford focuser. I could have them do a "custom" mount, but I would have to send them my focuser. I don't think I would want to do that.

                When I asked the folks at WO to suggest an electronic focuser, they suggested that I try JMI or Robofocus. I guess they weren't aware that JMI doesn't make a module for the FLT-98CF. I'm going to send an email to their tech support people advising them of this.

                Michael

                --- In William-Optics@ yahoogroups. com, "MichaelFerrari" <mjferrari@. ..> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I'm glad to have found this group! I've had my FLT-98CF since March 2009; it's nice to talk to others that have WO products.
                >
                > I've decided to get into astrophotography (I have my FLT-98CF on a Losmandy GM-8 with Gemini). I have an SBIG ST-402ME for my main camera, and I'm planning to add a guide scope (like a Stellarvue 50mm or a Lumicon 50mm) and autoguider (Orion StarShoot or Meade DSI Pro II with GPUSB). I also want to get an electronic focuser to make it easier for me to adjust focus while controlling the scope from my laptop with MaxIm DL.
                >
                > I've been investigating electronic focusers, and I've found two that may work - JMI's MOTOFOCUS and RoboFocus. I reallyi don't want to replace the entire Crayford focuser with the likes of a Feather Touch, if indeed the standard Crayford focuser on my FLT-98CF can "cut the mustard". Does anyone have experiences with these two electronic focusers? Are any other motorized focusers a viable option?
                >
                > Thanks for your time.
                >
                > Michael

              • Peter Hughes
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 18, 2009
                  Hi,
                  Try www.iankingimaging.com in the UK. He is a WO main dealer and provides electronic focusers for their range of refractors.
                  Clear Skies!

                  Peter C Hughes

                  On Dec 17, 2009, at 8:19 PM, "MichaelFerrari" <mjferrari@...> wrote:

                  Well, I just got a reply from JMI, and it looks like their MOTOFOCUS is out of the running. According to their production manager, they don't make a MOTOFOCUS module for my Crayford focuser. I could have them do a "custom" mount, but I would have to send them my focuser. I don't think I would want to do that.

                  When I asked the folks at WO to suggest an electronic focuser, they suggested that I try JMI or Robofocus. I guess they weren't aware that JMI doesn't make a module for the FLT-98CF. I'm going to send an email to their tech support people advising them of this.

                  Michael

                  --- In William-Optics@ yahoogroups. com, "MichaelFerrari" <mjferrari@. ..> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I'm glad to have found this group! I've had my FLT-98CF since March 2009; it's nice to talk to others that have WO products.
                  >
                  > I've decided to get into astrophotography (I have my FLT-98CF on a Losmandy GM-8 with Gemini). I have an SBIG ST-402ME for my main camera, and I'm planning to add a guide scope (like a Stellarvue 50mm or a Lumicon 50mm) and autoguider (Orion StarShoot or Meade DSI Pro II with GPUSB). I also want to get an electronic focuser to make it easier for me to adjust focus while controlling the scope from my laptop with MaxIm DL.
                  >
                  > I've been investigating electronic focusers, and I've found two that may work - JMI's MOTOFOCUS and RoboFocus. I reallyi don't want to replace the entire Crayford focuser with the likes of a Feather Touch, if indeed the standard Crayford focuser on my FLT-98CF can "cut the mustard". Does anyone have experiences with these two electronic focusers? Are any other motorized focusers a viable option?
                  >
                  > Thanks for your time.
                  >
                  > Michael

                • MichaelFerrari
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 18, 2009
                    Thanks Peter!

                    Michael

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hughes <caymanpete@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    > Try www.iankingimaging.com in the UK. He is a WO main dealer and provides electronic focusers for their range of refractors.
                    > Clear Skies!
                    >
                    > Peter C Hughes
                    >
                    > On Dec 17, 2009, at 8:19 PM, "MichaelFerrari" <mjferrari@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Well, I just got a reply from JMI, and it looks like their MOTOFOCUS is out of the running. According to their production manager, they don't make a MOTOFOCUS module for my Crayford focuser. I could have them do a "custom" mount, but I would have to send them my focuser.. I don't think I would want to do that.
                    >
                    > When I asked the folks at WO to suggest an electronic focuser, they suggested that I try JMI or Robofocus. I guess they weren't aware that JMI doesn't make a module for the FLT-98CF. I'm going to send an email to their tech support people advising them of this.
                    >
                    > Michael
                    >
                    > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelFerrari" <mjferrari@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi all,
                    > >
                    > > I'm glad to have found this group! I've had my FLT-98CF since March 2009; it's nice to talk to others that have WO products.
                    > >
                    > > I've decided to get into astrophotography (I have my FLT-98CF on a Losmandy GM-8 with Gemini). I have an SBIG ST-402ME for my main camera, and I'm planning to add a guide scope (like a Stellarvue 50mm or a Lumicon 50mm) and autoguider (Orion StarShoot or Meade DSI Pro II with GPUSB). I also want to get an electronic focuser to make it easier for me to adjust focus while controlling the scope from my laptop with MaxIm DL.
                    > >
                    > > I've been investigating electronic focusers, and I've found two that may work - JMI's MOTOFOCUS and RoboFocus. I reallyi don't want to replace the entire Crayford focuser with the likes of a Feather Touch, if indeed the standard Crayford focuser on my FLT-98CF can "cut the mustard". Does anyone have experiences with these two electronic focusers? Are any other motorized focusers a viable option?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for your time.
                    > >
                    > > Michael
                    > >

                    > Reply to sender | Reply to group
                    > Messages in this topic (8)
                    > RECENT ACTIVITY: New Members 3
                    > Visit Your Group Start a New Topic
                    > www.williamoptics.com www.williamopticsracing.com
                    > MARKETPLACE
                    > Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living
                    >
                    > Mom Power: Discover the community of moms doing more for their families, for the world and for each other
                    > .
                    >
                    > __,_.._,___

                  • MichaelFerrari
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 18, 2009
                      Hi Chris,

                      Robofocus is at the top of my list now. It's good to know that it works well with your WO products.

                      Michael

                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Purves <CHRIS_PURVES@...> wrote:

                      > Just to say I have a robofocus on my 110 flt and 72 megrez both worked well.
                      >
                      > Chris
                      >
                      > To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: mjferrari@...
                      > Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 01:19:23 +0000
                      > Subject: [William Optics] Re: Electronic focuser suggestions for FLT-98CF?

                      > Well, I just got a reply from JMI, and it looks like their MOTOFOCUS is out of the running. According to their production manager, they don't make a MOTOFOCUS module for my Crayford focuser. I could have them do a "custom" mount, but I would have to send them my focuser. I don't think I would want to do that.
                      >

                      > When I asked the folks at WO to suggest an electronic focuser, they suggested that I try JMI or Robofocus. I guess they weren't aware that JMI doesn't make a module for the FLT-98CF. I'm going to send an email to their tech support people advising them of this.
                      >

                      > Michael
                      >

                      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelFerrari" <mjferrari@> wrote:
                      >

                      > > Hi all,
                      >

                      > > I'm glad to have found this group! I've had my FLT-98CF since March 2009; it's nice to talk to others that have WO products.
                      >

                      > > I've decided to get into astrophotography (I have my FLT-98CF on a Losmandy GM-8 with Gemini). I have an SBIG ST-402ME for my main camera, and I'm planning to add a guide scope (like a Stellarvue 50mm or a Lumicon 50mm) and autoguider (Orion StarShoot or Meade DSI Pro II with GPUSB). I also want to get an electronic focuser to make it easier for me to adjust focus while controlling the scope from my laptop with MaxIm DL.
                      >

                      > > I've been investigating electronic focusers, and I've found two that may work - JMI's MOTOFOCUS and RoboFocus. I reallyi don't want to replace the entire Crayford focuser with the likes of a Feather Touch, if indeed the standard Crayford focuser on my FLT-98CF can "cut the mustard". Does anyone have experiences with these two electronic focusers? Are any other motorized focusers a viable option?
                      >

                      > > Thanks for your time.
                      >

                      > > Michael

                    • MichaelFerrari
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 19, 2009
                        Everyone,

                        I've spent the day looking for other electronic focuser options for my kit, when I discovered the MoonLite focusers website (focusers.com). At first, I was leery about replacing the nice focuser in my FLT-98CF, but the MoonLite focuser seem very sturdy, and adapt well to hi-red stepper motors and remote controls. For "only" a couple hundred USD more than a RoboFocus setup, I could have MoonLite's CF focuser with an 8 lb. rating, a flange specifically designed to fit the FLT-98CF (this is from Ron of MoonLite), a 4.5" drawtube designed for WO diagonals, and a mini-controller. The only thing I would lose is manual focus control.

                        Has anyone else here retrofitted their WO OTA with a MoonLite focuser? Any opinions about MoonLite focusers in general?

                        Thanks.

                        Michael

                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelFerrari" <mjferrari@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > I'm glad to have found this group! I've had my FLT-98CF since March 2009; it's nice to talk to others that have WO products.
                        >
                        > I've decided to get into astrophotography (I have my FLT-98CF on a Losmandy GM-8 with Gemini). I have an SBIG ST-402ME for my main camera, and I'm planning to add a guide scope (like a Stellarvue 50mm or a Lumicon 50mm) and autoguider (Orion StarShoot or Meade DSI Pro II with GPUSB). I also want to get an electronic focuser to make it easier for me to adjust focus while controlling the scope from my laptop with MaxIm DL.
                        >
                        > I've been investigating electronic focusers, and I've found two that may work - JMI's MOTOFOCUS and RoboFocus. I reallyi don't want to replace the entire Crayford focuser with the likes of a Feather Touch, if indeed the standard Crayford focuser on my FLT-98CF can "cut the mustard". Does anyone have experiences with these two electronic focusers? Are any other motorized focusers a viable option?
                        >
                        > Thanks for your time.
                        >
                        > Michael

                      • Paul Derby
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 20, 2009
                          I have a Moonlite focuser for my FLT-110. The focuser is superb quality. The WO focuser is OK, but nothing compared to the precision, finish quality, velvety feel, load capacity, auto focuser adaptability, locking, etc. the Moonlite has. You can even get in in anodized gold to closely match the gold trim on the WO scopes.
                        • MichaelFerrari
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 20, 2009
                            Hi Paul,

                            I was wondering about the build quality of the MoonLite focuser. The pictures seem to indicate high quality, but it's great to talk to someone who has firsthand knowledge. I also like the fact that the motor is made for the focuser; no brackets, bands or braces to contend with. The available colors are a nice perk too. Since my CF tube is black, I was tending toward the red, which should go nicely with the trim on my 98CF.

                            I also looked at Starlight Instruments' Feather Touch focusers, but I must admit their prices are a bit out of my reach.

                            If I may ask you - did you get just the MoonLite focuser? Or did you purchase a motor? If so, do you miss not having manual control (the only minus I could see)?

                            Thanks for your comments.

                            Michael

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 21, 2009
                              At this time I have the focuser only, no motor. Moonlite is working on a larger diameter focuser. When the larger diameter focuser is available I plan to upgrade to that and get the motor at that time.

                              Meanwhile, the manual focuser works just great. It is a fine piece of equipment and I can't think of a single thing wrong with it. I especially like the way you can lock down the focuser so the draw tube doesn't slip back when a camera is attached.
                            • MichaelFerrari
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 22, 2009
                                Yes, I like that locking feature too. I also like the maximum weight capacity: my ST-402ME is only 20 oz., but my D300 is around 4 lbs. The focuser on my FLT-98
                                CF is nice (I read that WO redesigned the focuser for the 98CF), but I wouldn't trust my 4 lb. Nikon on it.