Re: [William Optics] WO 132 Focuser

  • George Ionas
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 27, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 625 KB
    Hi Steve,

    Prior to purchasing a new 132 FLT I went through this group's Yahoo site and looked at the comments about the 110 and the 132mm FLT scopes. It soon became apparent that the "Achilles heel" was the WO 4 inch focuser. I ensured that my 132 FLT arrived with the FeatherTouch 3545 focuser from WO and I am extremely happy with this choice.

    If you go down this path and use a FeatherTouch focuser you will also need an extension tube if you are going to be imaging as the focus is well behind the focuser. I have attached an image showing the WO 4 inch extension tube between the 3545 focuser and the FLAT68 flat field correcting lens.

    Cheers,
    George

    ibbotsons wrote:

    Hi
    This is my first post and not a happy one
    The stock focuser is next to useless for imaging as it moves around far too much
    the starlight replacement which allows the attachment of the FF(which I do have) is £750 here in the UK

    has anybody tried anything else successfully?

    Cheers Steve

  • Timm B
    Message 2 of 17 , Oct 27, 2009
      Wow George - that is the first time I have seen a picture showing something like this. I think others will be interested in this and will benefit from your experiences so please continue to offer pictures, comments and advice regarding your experiences with what looks to be a great product!

      Timm

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, George Ionas <g.ionas@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > Prior to purchasing a new 132 FLT I went through this group's Yahoo site
      > and looked at the comments about the 110 and the 132mm FLT scopes. It
      > soon became apparent that the "Achilles heel" was the WO 4 inch focuser.
      > I ensured that my 132 FLT arrived with the FeatherTouch 3545 focuser
      > from WO and I am extremely happy with this choice.
      >
      > If you go down this path and use a FeatherTouch focuser you will also
      > need an extension tube if you are going to be imaging as the focus is
      > well behind the focuser. I have attached an image showing the WO 4 inch
      > extension tube between the 3545 focuser and the FLAT68 flat field
      > correcting lens.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > George
      >

      > ibbotsons wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi
      > > This is my first post and not a happy one
      > > The stock focuser is next to useless for imaging as it moves around
      > > far too much
      > > the starlight replacement which allows the attachment of the FF(which
      > > I do have) is £750 here in the UK
      > >
      > > has anybody tried anything else successfully?
      > >
      > > Cheers Steve

    • ibbotsons
      Message 3 of 17 , Oct 27, 2009
        Gary
        Thanks for the sympathy
        I am wishing I stuck to Tak

        Steve

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "gbealnz" <g.beal@...> wrote:

        > Hi Steve,
        > welcome to the world of W/O, I am afraid. I too have had the same woes, even grizzled publicly about it, and a few other minor issues, to no avail. Nobody listens. I wrote to William himself, received nothing back. Feedback is what makes the product better, but what we have from me, and you now is criticism, and that makes the next buyers wary, very wary.
        > Yep, they look good, but in the dark the looks are unimportant. They sure are not up to what they are touted for, in my opinion anyway. It makes me wonder if anyone from R&D actually tried them.
        > I went the F/T3545 route.
        > I am picking you have either the FLT110, or the 132, correct?
        > Regards,
        > Gary
        >
        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "ibbotsons" <ibbotsons@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi
        > > This is my first post and not a happy one
        > > The stock focuser is next to useless for imaging as it moves around far too much
        > > the starlight replacement which allows the attachment of the FF(which I do have) is £750 here in the UK
        > >
        > > has anybody tried anything else successfully?
        > >
        > > Cheers Steve

      • ibbotsons
        Message 4 of 17 , Oct 27, 2009
          Hi George
          Yep looks the business
          only it would be $1300 plus shipping and import duties when it got here
          not exactly what I signed up for and was promised in the adverts

          Looks as though I am going to see if I can modify the bearings on the one I have ie make em far enough apart to work properly as should have been done in the first place

          cheers
          Steve

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, George Ionas <g.ionas@...> wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          >
          > Prior to purchasing a new 132 FLT I went through this group's Yahoo site
          > and looked at the comments about the 110 and the 132mm FLT scopes. It
          > soon became apparent that the "Achilles heel" was the WO 4 inch focuser.
          > I ensured that my 132 FLT arrived with the FeatherTouch 3545 focuser
          > from WO and I am extremely happy with this choice.
          >
          > If you go down this path and use a FeatherTouch focuser you will also
          > need an extension tube if you are going to be imaging as the focus is
          > well behind the focuser. I have attached an image showing the WO 4 inch
          > extension tube between the 3545 focuser and the FLAT68 flat field
          > correcting lens.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > George
          >

          > ibbotsons wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi
          > > This is my first post and not a happy one
          > > The stock focuser is next to useless for imaging as it moves around
          > > far too much
          > > the starlight replacement which allows the attachment of the FF(which
          > > I do have) is £750 here in the UK
          > >
          > > has anybody tried anything else successfully?
          > >
          > > Cheers Steve

        • George Ionas
          Message 5 of 17 , Oct 27, 2009
          • 1 Attachment
          • 670 KB
          Hi Timm,

          I have found that the WO people must be catering for people with binoviewers since the focus is so far behind the focuser. The FeatherTouch 3545 focuser is a big and I still have to add what WO calls the 4 inch extension tube (it actually takes up only 50 mm of back focal length), plus I rank the focuser out by 40mm, add the FLAT68 flat fielding lens and there is another 55mm to reach the CCD chip. To give you an idea on how far back the focus is, I measured about 400mm from the end of the scope's white tube to the focal plane.

          I have attach another image showing the FeatherTouch 3545 focuser racked full out, the numbered scale on the focuser is millimeters.

          Cheers,
          George

          Timm B wrote:

          Wow George - that is the first time I have seen a picture showing something like this. I think others will be interested in this and will benefit from your experiences so please continue to offer pictures, comments and advice regarding your experiences with what looks to be a great product!

          Timm

          --- In William-Optics@ yahoogroups. com, George Ionas <g.ionas@... > wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          >
          > Prior to purchasing a new 132 FLT I went through this group's Yahoo site
          > and looked at the comments about the 110 and the 132mm FLT scopes. It
          > soon became apparent that the "Achilles heel" was the WO 4 inch focuser.
          > I ensured that my 132 FLT arrived with the FeatherTouch 3545 focuser
          > from WO and I am extremely happy with this choice.
          >
          > If you go down this path and use a FeatherTouch focuser you will also
          > need an extension tube if you are going to be imaging as the focus is
          > well behind the focuser. I have attached an image showing the WO 4 inch
          > extension tube between the 3545 focuser and the FLAT68 flat field
          > correcting lens.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > George
          >

          > ibbotsons wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi
          > > This is my first post and not a happy one
          > > The stock focuser is next to useless for imaging as it moves around
          > > far too much
          > > the starlight replacement which allows the attachment of the FF(which
          > > I do have) is £750 here in the UK
          > >
          > > has anybody tried anything else successfully?
          > >
          > > Cheers Steve

        • ibbotsons
          Message 6 of 17 , Oct 27, 2009
            Having stripped the focuser once more and rebuilt it again I have this evening managed to calm the movement down somewhat by brutally tightening the adjuster on the focuser rod

            The main problems with this focuser are
            The bearings are too close
            The bearings are of poor quality

            Steve
          • gbealnz
            Message 7 of 17 , Oct 27, 2009
              Steve,
              I have been down the same path as you, and in the end caved in and sprung the required money for the FT.
              Point I make is that if the equipment was up to the task, you wouldn't be required to strip and rectify what should have been done properly in the first place.
              Like I said, it has all the hallmarks of never actually been used in the field, and that worries me.
              Mind you, this isn't an exercise in bagging W/O, far from it, but the problem is the complete silence.
              Gary

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "ibbotsons" <ibbotsons@...> wrote:

              > Having stripped the focuser once more and rebuilt it again I have this evening managed to calm the movement down somewhat by brutally tightening the adjuster on the focuser rod
              >
              > The main problems with this focuser are
              > The bearings are too close
              > The bearings are of poor quality
              >
              > Steve

            • Michael Gossage
              Message 8 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
                LOL. Sorry to hear you're not experiencing the best this scope can
                offer. I too have had problems, but found that most of them could be
                resolved by adjusting the tension screws.

                That said, I'm too considering that the stock focuser is great at
                looking at the feathertouch. I've noticed that wo are now shipping
                their 132 with a feathertouch and so must have noted the shortcomings
                in their own design.

                To purchase the FT seperately is just too costly to justify IMHO. WO
                should consider offering a Swap-out upgrade at a reduced cost for
                users who've purchased in the past 12 months as it does feel like a
                kick in the teeth. We've done the research for them but see no benefit.

                But if you think that's a problem, just wait until you try and fit a
                filter in the image train between the FF and the chip!

                Whole another can of worms!

                Michael

                Michael Gossage
              • ibbotsons
                Message 9 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
                  Hi
                  Last night I was discussing the problem with a friend of mine who has all the kit to do machining ( www.astrodevelopments.co.uk some interesting bits and bobs on his site)
                  so we are going to replace the bearing plate with a bigger base and try and find some better bearings

                  thats the good news

                  bad news is I will have to wait while christmas when he will have the time to fit it in

                  I will let you know how it goes

                  Steve
                • delyant@gmail.com
                  Message 10 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
                    Steve,
                    While you're on this topic with your friend, or anybody who is having a machine shop and understanding of the design goals, there may exist broader interest among us - FLT owners, who cannot justify the cost of proper FT upgrade :-)
                    Probably this can speed-up the process?

                    Delyan
                    Sent via BlackBerry � Provided by Mobiltel

                    Message 11 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
                      Hi George,

                      I have the same FT3545 and the FF as you but my FF screws directly to the 3545, why do you need a 4 inch adapter?

                      Charles

                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, George Ionas <g.ionas@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Steve,
                      >
                      > Prior to purchasing a new 132 FLT I went through this group's Yahoo site
                      > and looked at the comments about the 110 and the 132mm FLT scopes. It
                      > soon became apparent that the "Achilles heel" was the WO 4 inch focuser.
                      > I ensured that my 132 FLT arrived with the FeatherTouch 3545 focuser
                      > from WO and I am extremely happy with this choice.
                      >
                      > If you go down this path and use a FeatherTouch focuser you will also
                      > need an extension tube if you are going to be imaging as the focus is
                      > well behind the focuser. I have attached an image showing the WO 4 inch
                      > extension tube between the 3545 focuser and the FLAT68 flat field
                      > correcting lens.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > George
                      >

                      > ibbotsons wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Hi
                      > > This is my first post and not a happy one
                      > > The stock focuser is next to useless for imaging as it moves around
                      > > far too much
                      > > the starlight replacement which allows the attachment of the FF(which
                      > > I do have) is £750 here in the UK
                      > >
                      > > has anybody tried anything else successfully?
                      > >
                      > > Cheers Steve

                    • George Ionas
                      Message 12 of 17 , Oct 28, 2009
                        Hi Charles,

                        I try to keep the focuser rack in as much as possible. Although the
                        FT3545 is a solid focuser, I don't leave anything to chance, so for
                        about $50 the 4 inch extender which incidentally only takes up about
                        50mm of back focus does the trick. My focuser is racked out about
                        39-40mm to reach focus using the QHY8 CCD camera. Without the adapter
                        the focuser would be racked out about 90mm which is just under 80% of
                        the FT3545's total travel. Also, with the adapter there is still plenty
                        of room for a filter wheel as well.

                        To be honest, I have not image in both configurations, maybe it makes no
                        difference? But it seems logical to me that there will be less stress on
                        the focuser when it is used near the "racked in" position. It will also
                        depend on the camera/filter wheel weight hung off the back of the
                        focuser, a ST11000 with filter wheel will place a significant amount of
                        load onto a focuser that is racked out 80% of its total travel.

                        It would be interesting to here from others which configuration they use
                        with there CCD cameras? Maybe I am the odd one out?

                        Cheers,
                        George

                        chasfranks71 wrote:

                        > Hi George,
                        >
                        > I have the same FT3545 and the FF as you but my FF screws directly to
                        > the 3545, why do you need a 4 inch adapter?
                        >
                        > Charles
                        >
                        > --- In William-Optics@ yahoogroups. com
                        > <mailto:William-Optics%40yahoogroups.com>, George Ionas <g.ionas@... >
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Steve,
                        > >
                        > > Prior to purchasing a new 132 FLT I went through this group's Yahoo
                        > site
                        > > and looked at the comments about the 110 and the 132mm FLT scopes. It
                        > > soon became apparent that the "Achilles heel" was the WO 4 inch
                        > focuser.
                        > > I ensured that my 132 FLT arrived with the FeatherTouch 3545 focuser
                        > > from WO and I am extremely happy with this choice.
                        > >
                        > > If you go down this path and use a FeatherTouch focuser you will also
                        > > need an extension tube if you are going to be imaging as the focus is
                        > > well behind the focuser. I have attached an image showing the WO 4 inch
                        > > extension tube between the 3545 focuser and the FLAT68 flat field
                        > > correcting lens.
                        > >
                        > > Cheers,
                        > > George
                        > >

                        > > ibbotsons wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Hi
                        > > > This is my first post and not a happy one
                        > > > The stock focuser is next to useless for imaging as it moves around
                        > > > far too much
                        > > > the starlight replacement which allows the attachment of the FF(which
                        > > > I do have) is £750 here in the UK
                        > > >
                        > > > has anybody tried anything else successfully?
                        > > >
                        > > > Cheers Steve

                      • noisejammer
                        Message 13 of 17 , Oct 29, 2009
                          Steve,

                          Unfortunately the problem with the design of the FLT 110 / 132 / 152 focuser is not new. It can however be completely solved if you're prepared to spend $20 and do a little work yourself. The trick is in replacing the focuser bearings with high precision bearings (I used ABEC Grade 7's from McMaster-Carr and then reassemble it while taking care that things remain square.

                          You should be able to get enough information on the repair from my posts in earlier posts (among them message 17661). If that doesn't give you enough information, please PM me and I'll guide you through it.

                          Clearest
                          Bruce, Toronto
                        • ragoldwenz
                          Message 14 of 17 , Oct 29, 2009
                            Hello Everybody,

                            I noticed some decentered collimation with my FLT 132. The startest would only render a star image surrounded by half circled diffraction rings. In tracing the cause with collimation tools starting with the diagonal, I discovered that the coma that was apparent in the cheshire eyepiece would diminish if not disappear when the rotating ring at the focuser was in a certain position. By unlocking the three fixing screws I adjusted the 360° scale so that this position now is the 0° position. The star test now renders a perfect textbook star image surrounded totally with the diffraction rings. I will leave the rotating ring fixed as is.Rotating jobs are now performed by a Baader dovetail rotating clamp or a threaded locking ring.

                            Best regards

                            Ragold

                            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "noisejammer" <noisejammer@...> wrote:

                            > Steve,
                            >
                            > Unfortunately the problem with the design of the FLT 110 / 132 / 152 focuser is not new. It can however be completely solved if you're prepared to spend $20 and do a little work yourself. The trick is in replacing the focuser bearings with high precision bearings (I used ABEC Grade 7's from McMaster-Carr and then reassemble it while taking care that things remain square.
                            >
                            > You should be able to get enough information on the repair from my posts in earlier posts (among them message 17661). If that doesn't give you enough information, please PM me and I'll guide you through it.
                            >
                            > Clearest
                            > Bruce, Toronto

                          • ibbotsons
                            Message 15 of 17 , Oct 29, 2009
                              Thanks
                              I do intend to replace the bearings as well as extend the baseline of the focuser

                              Mac master is a non starter they will not ship to UK

                              Steve