Re: looking for best place to sell equipment

  • pfghwest
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
      Tina,
      Indeed, AstroMart is an excellent site to sell astronomy gear. But only if you know what you have, its condition and what it is worth. Otherwise, you will be eaten alive there. That is why, in areas I am clueless, EBay is the best place to check on items. Regardless, it is most important you know exactly your item, and its condition.
      Good Luck !
      CS,
      Pete

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <mvoccia@...> wrote:

      > All-
      > A friend of mine's father just passed away unexpectedly. He was an avid stargazer. Some of the equipment he has was a Visac Vixen VC200L, an Atlas EQ-G, Astrotech AT66ED APO f6, Orion Sync Scan Digitap keypad, Celestron 500mm f5.6 mirror lens, and much more.
      > I'm a photographer, and my friend asked me if I could help find any place to get all of the equipment assessed/sold, so I thought I'd try Yahoo groups first.
      > Does anyone know of a good place to start in SouthEast Michigan? Or is the internet better place to look rather than local.
      > thanks so much!

    • Ed
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
        Pete, Tina,
        I totally disagree with your comment about being eaten alive on
        AstroMart. eBay is the last place I'd look for credible info on Astro
        equipment. As for pricing, AstroMart is still the place to go. If you're
        not sure what something is worth, just do a search and find out what the
        last few of that item sold for. AstroMart goes to great pains to try to
        make it as safe a venue as possible for buyers and sellers alike. Therefore
        the chances of a deal going sour are miniscule compared to ebay.

        Forever clear skies & great seeing!
        Cheers, Ed
        > Indeed, AstroMart is an excellent site to sell astronomy gear. But only if
        > you know what you have, its condition and what it is worth. Otherwise, you
        > will be eaten alive there. That is why, in areas I am clueless, EBay is
        > the best place to check on items. Regardless, it is most important you
        > know exactly your item, and its condition.
        > Good Luck !
        > CS,
        > Pete
        >
        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <mvoccia@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> All-
        >> A friend of mine's father just passed away unexpectedly. He was an avid
        >> stargazer. Some of the equipment he has was a Visac Vixen VC200L, an
        >> Atlas EQ-G, Astrotech AT66ED APO f6, Orion Sync Scan Digitap keypad,
        >> Celestron 500mm f5.6 mirror lens, and much more.
        >> I'm a photographer, and my friend asked me if I could help find any place
        >> to get all of the equipment assessed/sold, so I thought I'd try Yahoo
        >> groups first.
        >> Does anyone know of a good place to start in SouthEast Michigan? Or is
        >> the internet better place to look rather than local.
        >> thanks so much!
        >>

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > www.williamoptics.com www.williamopticsracing.comYahoo!
        > Groups Links

      • maknewtnut
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
          Tina,
          Do yourself a favor and join Astromart. Ebay would be a mistake IMHO. On AM you can learn more about what you have, use the archives to determine fair market value, and reach BY FAR the biggest group of posssible buyers on the planet. Security if superior as well. Since your friend's dad has passed away, it would be best to avoid saying you are selling for someone else. That is against the AM terms of service. The equipment now belongs to your friend or you.

          Mark

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <mvoccia@...> wrote:

          > All-
          > A friend of mine's father just passed away unexpectedly. He was an avid stargazer. Some of the equipment he has was a Visac Vixen VC200L, an Atlas EQ-G, Astrotech AT66ED APO f6, Orion Sync Scan Digitap keypad, Celestron 500mm f5.6 mirror lens, and much more.
          > I'm a photographer, and my friend asked me if I could help find any place to get all of the equipment assessed/sold, so I thought I'd try Yahoo groups first.
          > Does anyone know of a good place to start in SouthEast Michigan? Or is the internet better place to look rather than local.
          > thanks so much!

        • Pete
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
            Tina,
            It is best to be up front and honest in all of our dealings. I enjoy a feedback on AstroMart of 258, and 470 on EBay. I would fully disclose that these items were from an estate, and also you offer a money back guarantee to ease any buyers concerns. If you do not disclose in full honesty, not trying to hide anything, it will back fire when they can see from your item desciption that you may not actually be the original owner. AstroMart is a tiny market versus EBay.
            CS,
            Pete

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "maknewtnut" <derklaus@...> wrote:

            > Tina,
            > Do yourself a favor and join Astromart. Ebay would be a mistake IMHO. On AM you can learn more about what you have, use the archives to determine fair market value, and reach BY FAR the biggest group of posssible buyers on the planet. Security if superior as well. Since your friend's dad has passed away, it would be best to avoid saying you are selling for someone else. That is against the AM terms of service. The equipment now belongs to your friend or you.
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <mvoccia@> wrote:
            > >
            > > All-
            > > A friend of mine's father just passed away unexpectedly. He was an avid stargazer. Some of the equipment he has was a Visac Vixen VC200L, an Atlas EQ-G, Astrotech AT66ED APO f6, Orion Sync Scan Digitap keypad, Celestron 500mm f5.6 mirror lens, and much more.
            > > I'm a photographer, and my friend asked me if I could help find any place to get all of the equipment assessed/sold, so I thought I'd try Yahoo groups first.
            > > Does anyone know of a good place to start in SouthEast Michigan? Or is the internet better place to look rather than local.
            > > thanks so much!

          • Paul Lavoie
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009

              Tina,
              Check and see if there is an astronomy group in your area. They could probably give you a pretty good idea of the values and you may even be able to sell some of it locally.

              Hope that helps,
              Paul
              On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Pete <pfghwest@...> wrote:

              Tina,
              It is best to be up front and honest in all of our dealings. I enjoy a feedback on AstroMart of 258, and 470 on EBay. I would fully disclose that these items were from an estate, and also you offer a money back guarantee to ease any buyers concerns. If you do not disclose in full honesty, not trying to hide anything, it will back fire when they can see from your item desciption that you may not actually be the original owner. AstroMart is a tiny market versus EBay.
              CS,
              Pete

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "maknewtnut" <derklaus@...> wrote:

              > Tina,
              > Do yourself a favor and join Astromart. Ebay would be a mistake IMHO. On AM you can learn more about what you have, use the archives to determine fair market value, and reach BY FAR the biggest group of posssible buyers on the planet. Security if superior as well. Since your friend's dad has passed away, it would be best to avoid saying you are selling for someone else. That is against the AM terms of service. The equipment now belongs to your friend or you.
              >
              > Mark
              >
              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <mvoccia@> wrote:
              > >
              > > All-
              > > A friend of mine's father just passed away unexpectedly. He was an avid stargazer. Some of the equipment he has was a Visac Vixen VC200L, an Atlas EQ-G, Astrotech AT66ED APO f6, Orion Sync Scan Digitap keypad, Celestron 500mm f5.6 mirror lens, and much more.
              > > I'm a photographer, and my friend asked me if I could help find any place to get all of the equipment assessed/sold, so I thought I'd try Yahoo groups first.
              > > Does anyone know of a good place to start in SouthEast Michigan? Or is the internet better place to look rather than local.
              > > thanks so much!

            • Chris Lord
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2009
                Sound advice - avoid eBay like the plague. PayPal sucks.
                On Oct 01, 2009, at 18:44, maknewtnut wrote:

                > Tina,
                > Do yourself a favor and join Astromart. Ebay would be a mistake IMHO.
                > On AM you can learn more about what you have, use the archives to
                > determine fair market value, and reach BY FAR the biggest group of
                > posssible buyers on the planet. Security if superior as well. Since
                > your friend's dad has passed away, it would be best to avoid saying
                > you are selling for someone else. That is against the AM terms of
                > service. The equipment now belongs to your friend or you.
                >
                > Mark
              • Pete
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Ebay is a search source. If someone is clueless about an item, you may find several for sale of EBay, none on AstroMart. To say that Pay Pal "sucks" or avoid Ebay as a plague is interesting. Pay Pal is a great convenience, and I try to use it, as most other informed buyers and seller on Astromart and other sites also do. Yes, you need a credit card and bank account and good standing. CloudyNights has many more classified ads than AstroMart, so check that site out also.
                  CS,
                  Pete

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lord <chrislord@...> wrote:

                  > Sound advice - avoid eBay like the plague. PayPal sucks.
                  > On Oct 01, 2009, at 18:44, maknewtnut wrote:
                  >
                  > > Tina,
                  > > Do yourself a favor and join Astromart. Ebay would be a mistake IMHO.
                  > > On AM you can learn more about what you have, use the archives to
                  > > determine fair market value, and reach BY FAR the biggest group of
                  > > posssible buyers on the planet. Security if superior as well. Since
                  > > your friend's dad has passed away, it would be best to avoid saying
                  > > you are selling for someone else. That is against the AM terms of
                  > > service. The equipment now belongs to your friend or you.
                  > >
                  > > Mark

                • Tina
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2009
                    thank you all so much...your advice and resource info is greatly appreciated!

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <mvoccia@...> wrote:

                    > All-
                    > A friend of mine's father just passed away unexpectedly. He was an avid stargazer. Some of the equipment he has was a Visac Vixen VC200L, an Atlas EQ-G, Astrotech AT66ED APO f6, Orion Sync Scan Digitap keypad, Celestron 500mm f5.6 mirror lens, and much more.
                    > I'm a photographer, and my friend asked me if I could help find any place to get all of the equipment assessed/sold, so I thought I'd try Yahoo groups first.
                    > Does anyone know of a good place to start in SouthEast Michigan? Or is the internet better place to look rather than local.
                    > thanks so much!

                  • daniela daniela
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2009
                      Sorry for your friend's loss,
                      items on astromart sell fast, but the prices will be very low, and as
                      it was already mentioned, you must be aware of the instrumentation you
                      have for sale. Many people on AM and elsewhere are good people, but of
                      course, not everyone is. It is forbidden to sell on AM items which
                      arent yours, so you should make sure with Herb York that the ad is OK
                      with him (otherwise you lose 12$ and your ad and your account).
                      CN is friendlier but slower to move
                      Ebay will give the best money but you must have patience, take good
                      photos, repeat the ad if necessary....
                      Paypal is likely to be what you'll use on any of these sites. Transfer
                      funds to your bank account asap.
                      Daniela

                      On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Tina <mvoccia@...> wrote:

                      > thank you all so much...your advice and resource info is greatly appreciated!
                      >
                      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <mvoccia@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > All-
                      > > A friend of mine's father just passed away unexpectedly. He was an avid stargazer. Some of the equipment he has was a Visac Vixen VC200L, an Atlas EQ-G, Astrotech AT66ED APO f6, Orion Sync Scan Digitap keypad, Celestron 500mm f5.6 mirror lens, and much more.
                      > > I'm a photographer, and my friend asked me if I could help find any place to get all of the equipment assessed/sold, so I thought I'd try Yahoo groups first.
                      > > Does anyone know of a good place to start in SouthEast Michigan? Or is the internet better place to look rather than local.
                      > > thanks so much!

                    • afoster12345
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
                        Hi Tina, I don't know if this might help, but I've bought one or two items from www.astrobuysell.com - I'm in Europe, but I think the main site base is Canada - some buyers might be close enough to you?

                        best of luck, Andrew