New member... first question!!!

  • chrisperroud
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
      Hi All!

      As a new Megrez' owner I would like to introduce myself in this group
      and to share experienced user's feedbacks.

      I bought this little refractor a couple of weeks ago, by my local
      distributor in Switzerland. I have heard different opinions about
      this scope, and I was very intrigued by its performances on paper.
      The best way to be sure it was something for me was testing the
      Megrez on the field. That I did a Saturday night in late August. And
      I will never forget my first contact with it!

      At first, I couldn't keep my eyes away from the beautiful satin-pearl
      & gold finishes of the OTA...like a child standing in front of the
      Christmas' tree! I took in my hands a very nice piece of well-
      manufactured components that certainly give outstanding views of the
      starry night! As soon as I started to discover the Milky Way, it was
      no doubt in my mind : this is the One! I spent about 5 hours watching
      the celestial beauties, from Mars to deep sky objects, testing every
      eyepiece on every target. The most "painful" act of the night was to
      share my seat with my colleagues even for seconds...! Everyone was
      amazed by the good optic and encourage me to buy it!

      I have chosen this scope for many reasons. One of them is
      the "grab'n'go" ability that match the Megrez. I own a Meade 7''
      LX200 working perfectly for both visual planetary observations and
      webcam imagery...but it weights about 55.0 kg! I am now living in
      Paris for a short-time period and was looking for a small refractor
      that allow me to travel from Paris to any place by bus, train
      or...plane. And my budget automatically dropped APO's out from my
      wish' list!

      I tested the Megrez under very good sky conditions (in the Swiss
      Alps, at 2200 m., no light sources). But I will spend most of my
      nights in Paris and suburbs.

      So, which filter do you use under light-polluted location such
      Paris ? Is a Lumicon UHC a good deal? And what about the Meade
      Narrowband ?

      Thanks for your answer!

      Chris

      PS : Sorry for all mistakes I have made in this text...English is not
      my mother language!
    • Paul K
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2003
        Hi Chris,

        Congratulations on your new toy :) Megrez is a very fine scope.

        With a lot of light pollution in my area I mostly do ccd photography,
        not much visual work. For photography, the IDAS LPS filter has been
        very effective against light pollution. It has a very good color
        balance, and high transmission. I've only compared to an Orion
        Ultrablock filter, and IDAS gives a much more "natural" looking color
        and a brighter image. I'd be curious to hear others opinions on the
        visual aspects of the IDAS LPS filter.

        Regards,

        -Paul

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "chrisperroud"
        <chrisperroud@h...> wrote:

        > So, which filter do you use under light-polluted location such
        > Paris ? Is a Lumicon UHC a good deal? And what about the Meade
        > Narrowband ?

      • juanig1964
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2003
          Welcome!
          Meade narrowband id darker than UHC filters (Lumicon or Astronomik...)
          And yes, you have the One! I have a Megrez 80 and a Megrez 102, and
          I´m thinking to sell my Meade 10" because its weight!!
          Clear Skies.
          Juan Ignacio
          Aranjuez (Madrid-Spain)

          <chrisperroud@h...> wrote:
          > Hi All!
          >
          > As a new Megrez' owner I would like to introduce myself in this
          group
          > and to share experienced user's feedbacks.
          >
          > I bought this little refractor a couple of weeks ago, by my local
          > distributor in Switzerland. I have heard different opinions about
          > this scope, and I was very intrigued by its performances on paper.
          > The best way to be sure it was something for me was testing the
          > Megrez on the field. That I did a Saturday night in late August.
          And
          > I will never forget my first contact with it!
          >
          > At first, I couldn't keep my eyes away from the beautiful satin-
          pearl
          > & gold finishes of the OTA...like a child standing in front of the
          > Christmas' tree! I took in my hands a very nice piece of well-
          > manufactured components that certainly give outstanding views of
          the
          > starry night! As soon as I started to discover the Milky Way, it
          was
          > no doubt in my mind : this is the One! I spent about 5 hours
          watching
          > the celestial beauties, from Mars to deep sky objects, testing
          every
          > eyepiece on every target. The most "painful" act of the night was
          > share my seat with my colleagues even for seconds...! Everyone was
          > amazed by the good optic and encourage me to buy it!
          >
          > I have chosen this scope for many reasons. One of them is
          > the "grab'n'go" ability that match the Megrez. I own a Meade 7''
          > LX200 working perfectly for both visual planetary observations and
          > webcam imagery...but it weights about 55.0 kg! I am now living in
          > Paris for a short-time period and was looking for a small refractor
          > that allow me to travel from Paris to any place by bus, train
          > or...plane. And my budget automatically dropped APO's out from my
          > wish' list!
          >
          > I tested the Megrez under very good sky conditions (in the Swiss
          > Alps, at 2200 m., no light sources). But I will spend most of my
          > nights in Paris and suburbs.
          >
          > So, which filter do you use under light-polluted location such
          > Paris ? Is a Lumicon UHC a good deal? And what about the Meade
          > Narrowband ?
          >
          > Thanks for your answer!
          >
          > Chris
          >
          > PS : Sorry for all mistakes I have made in this text...English is
          not
          > my mother language!
        • Maarten Vanleenhove
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 8, 2003

            Does anyone has a 80 mm Megrez for sale ?

            Regards,

            Maarten Vanleenhove