Dismantle M90 focuser

  • rogerg_au
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      I have a 6 month old Megrez 90. The type which does not have the tripod bracket. It's focuser is the dual speed rack & pinion style.

      I would like to attach a motor to the focuser. With my older Megrez 80 (single speed focuser) I did this very easily by taking one focus knob off and installing a bracket with motor on to the shaft.

      With the dual speed focuser, am I able to simply remove the knob from the side that only has one speed adjustment knob and not have the whole thing fall apart? I see the hex screw to undo the knob and perhaps then be able to pull it off, but am a bit weary that doing so the whole focuser and dual speed mechanism may spring apart. I'm not familiar with how dual speed focusers are constructed.

      If I can simply take the knob off the single speed side of the focuser then attaching my focus motor should be very easy.

      Any advice would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Roger.

      Roger Groom roger[AT]RogerGroom.com
      http://www.RogerGroom.com/
    • thomashs2001
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009

        Roger,

        I have a Megrez 90 and attached a stepper motor focuser and had no problem removing the single speed side knob. Nothing will happen or come apart when you remove the knob. See link to photo.

        http://tinyurl.com/lpz9zx

        Tom

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "rogerg_au" <rog1@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I have a 6 month old Megrez 90. The type which does not have the tripod bracket. It's focuser is the dual speed rack & pinion style.
        >
        > I would like to attach a motor to the focuser. With my older Megrez 80 (single speed focuser) I did this very easily by taking one focus knob off and installing a bracket with motor on to the shaft.
        >
        > With the dual speed focuser, am I able to simply remove the knob from the side that only has one speed adjustment knob and not have the whole thing fall apart? I see the hex screw to undo the knob and perhaps then be able to pull it off, but am a bit weary that doing so the whole focuser and dual speed mechanism may spring apart. I'm not familiar with how dual speed focusers are constructed.
        >
        > If I can simply take the knob off the single speed side of the focuser then attaching my focus motor should be very easy.
        >
        > Any advice would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Roger.

        > Roger Groom roger[AT]RogerGroom.com