FLT 132 focuser drawtube - baffle-

  • ragoldwenz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2009
      Hello dear all,

      I just want to report that I enhanced visual performance by placing a baffle on the front side of the focussers drawtube with an inner diameter of 7,5 cm. No vignetting is to be observed but the entire drawtube now is pitch black. Before, the front and first third of the drawtube was lit up by a considerable amount of stray-light that would reach the inner side of the drawtube if seen in daylight or moonlit conditions. The baffle is cut from black velcro and sticks on the front end of the tube.

      WO may consider placing one or more baffles into the focussers drawtube in order to reach out for the very limits in terms of contrast with this ambitious telescope.

      Best regards

      Ragold
    • mackey_10611
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2009
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "ragoldwenz" <ragoldwenz@...> wrote:

        > Hello dear all,
        >
        > I just want to report that I enhanced visual performance by placing a baffle on the front side of the focussers drawtube with an inner diameter of 7,5 cm. No vignetting is to be observed but the entire drawtube now is pitch black. Before, the front and first third of the drawtube was lit up by a considerable amount of stray-light that would reach the inner side of the drawtube if seen in daylight or moonlit conditions. The baffle is cut from black velcro and sticks on the front end of the tube.
        >
        > WO may consider placing one or more baffles into the focussers drawtube in order to reach out for the very limits in terms of contrast with this ambitious telescope.
        >
        > Best regards
        >
        > Ragold

        Hi Ragold,

        Very interesting. Could you post some photos of your craftsmanship?

        Hojong Lin
      • ragoldwenz
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 19, 2009
          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mackey_10611" <hojong.lin@...> wrote:
          > Hello Hojong Lin,

          sorry, no. I lack a digital camera (yes, please believe me) and the baffle is simply cut out from velcro with the sticky side used to fix the thing to the front end of the drawtube. The outer diameter is 8.5 cm which is enough to allow it sit firmly on the tubeĀ“s end. In terms of craftsmanship this is pretty crude, but I muse about having a set of baffles cut from metal by a workshop I know well and connected by a thin tube that would fit into the drawtube. The baffle was ment as a provisional test first before I discovered it worked so well.

          Best regards

          Ragold