FLT132 drawtube

  • mitch
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
      Just playing around with a used FLT132 that I have recently purchased. There seems to be a lot of play in the drawtube, so much so that it is putting out the collimation. The play is "up & down", not "in & out". With a CCD and extension tube, the weight is pulling the drawtube down (i.e. at right angles to the scopes long axis).
      That cant be right, can it? Anybody have any experience of this, adjustments possible, etc?
      Regards,
      Mitch
    • Yoshio Kitajima
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
        Hi Mitch,

        I have the FLT132 and the flattener.
        I am the same situation, too.
        I use FLI's ML11002M and Filter Wheels.
        They are not light.
        So I order metalwork person to install two metal rings
        to fix the drawtube.
        I perform focus adjustment in FLI DF-2.
        So I can not use eyepiece only CCD-camera.
        http://starlightcafe.jp/astro/fltring.jpg

        You can see oneside metal ring.
        There is already one on the tip of the draw tube.
        Sorry my english is poor.

        > Hi,
        > Just playing around with a used FLT132 that I have recently purchased. There seems to be a lot of play in the drawtube, so much so that it is putting out the collimation. The play is "up & down", not "in & out". With a CCD and extension tube, the weight is pulling the drawtube down (i.e. at right angles to the scopes long axis).
        > That cant be right, can it? Anybody have any experience of this, adjustments possible, etc?
        > Regards,
        > Mitch

        Yoshio Kitajima
        JAPAN
        mailto:ae3y-ktjm@...
        http://starlightcafe.jp
      • mitch
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
          Thanks Yoshio, I can see how that work. Although I still cant believe that this is normal, particularly not with a top end instrument such as this? Anybody else have any suggestions?

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Yoshio Kitajima <ae3y-ktjm@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mitch,
          >
          > I have the FLT132 and the flattener.
          > I am the same situation, too.
          > I use FLI's ML11002M and Filter Wheels.
          > They are not light.
          > So I order metalwork person to install two metal rings
          > to fix the drawtube.
          > I perform focus adjustment in FLI DF-2.
          > So I can not use eyepiece only CCD-camera.
          > http://starlightcafe.jp/astro/fltring.jpg
          >
          > You can see oneside metal ring.
          > There is already one on the tip of the draw tube.
          > Sorry my english is poor.
          >

          > > Hi,
          > > Just playing around with a used FLT132 that I have recently purchased. There seems to be a lot of play in the drawtube, so much so that it is putting out the collimation. The play is "up & down", not "in & out". With a CCD and extension tube, the weight is pulling the drawtube down (i.e. at right angles to the scopes long axis).
          > > That cant be right, can it? Anybody have any experience of this, adjustments possible, etc?
          > > Regards,
          > > Mitch

          > Yoshio Kitajima
          > JAPAN
          > mailto:ae3y-ktjm@...
          > http://starlightcafe.jp

        • ragoldwenz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18, 2009
            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mitch" <mitchfry@...> wrote:
            >Hello Mitch,

            you may refer to my earlier posting No. 19657 Re: FLT 132 focuser backlash. Maybe, this is of help.

            Best regards

            Ragold