RE: [William-Optics] Megrez 80SD?

  • Jim Bielaga
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2003
      Chris,

      Yes, that was one batch of scopes we received and they were fixed here
      and reshipped. David and William Yang both showed us how to correct
      those errors. That had to have been 2 yrs ago or more.

      Jim Bielaga
      Anacortes Telescope and Wild Bird
      www.buytelescopes.com
      360-588-9000
      800-850-2001 orders

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
        Thanks Jim!

        Chris

        ----------------------------------

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Bielaga" <jimb@b...>
        wrote:
        > Chris,
        >
        > Yes, that was one batch of scopes we received and they were fixed
        here
        > and reshipped. David and William Yang both showed us how to correct
        > those errors. That had to have been 2 yrs ago or more.
        >

        > Jim Bielaga
        > Anacortes Telescope and Wild Bird
        > www.buytelescopes.com
        > 360-588-9000
        > 800-850-2001 orders

      • astro_ovaz
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
          Chris, I just bought an "almost new" 1 month old, Megrez 80 on
          ASTROMART. It is a great scope and displays none of the problems
          associated with the earlier mentioned lens cell being to tight. I
          have it piggyback mounted on my NexStar 11GPS and it makes a great
          wide field scope or finder when I have a camera on my 11".

          Clear Skies
          Gary
          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Cook" <ccjd@i...> wrote:
          > Hi group -
          >
          > This is my first post here.
          > I am looking into purchasing the Megrez 80 to use as a birding,
          > daytime telephoto and low power deep-sky scanning instrument.
          >
          > I've read reviews of the scope and it seems that when it was
          > introduced, there was a problem with incorrectly placed baffles and
          > astigmatism in the objective. Have these issues been fixed in the
          > current Megrez 80's? I don't want to find out I have problems like
          > these and have to return it to be fixed.
          >
          > Any thoughts?
          >
          > Clear skies!
          >
          > Chris
          >
          > ----------------------------------
          > Chris Cook
          > Astronomical & Nightscape Photography
          > www.abmedia.com/astro
        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
            Dear all,

            I have just put together my image train and it consists of the following.

            SXV-H9 -> Optec TCF -> Optec IFW -> FLT110. I have this mounted on the
            GT1-HD and when focused, I am finding the OTA is fairly back heavy. I can
            not move the OTA further forward on the GT1 Saddle Plate as the focuser knob
            housing will contact the saddle plate. Any suggestions would be most
            appreciated.

            This configuration is fairly heavy and I am wondering if others have similar
            situations.

            All the best,

            Jim
          • Rob MacKay
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
              My image train looks like this:

              MaxCam CM10 -> CFW-2 -> Optec TCF -> FLT110

              I mount this on a GT-1 side by side with an FS78/ST4 setup. I have noticed
              that it is quite back heavy but I haven't had any problems with balance yet.
              Due to the TCF I also don't have to rack the focuser out very much at all so
              that might make a difference too. In fact I think I only back it out about
              1/8 of a inch and let the TCF go from there.

              Rob

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                Rob,

                Interesting that you have the color wheel behind the Opetc TCF. I hadn't
                thought of that. Is there a reason for doing it that way? I wonder by
                having the filter wheel ahead of the focuser, might I be introducing
                something I don't want? With the 2" filters in the IFW, I thought I was
                been smart placing it ahead of the focuser. What is the depth of CFW-2? The
                Optec IFW has a form factor of 1".

                I just got the focuser and wheel thus I haven't had the chance to try it out
                yet (and the forecast is not looking to good for the next little while).
                July and August have just been the pits for weather here in Toronto.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                  Jim,

                  I usually use one of the following configurations:
                  1. HX916 -> CFW-8 -> NGF-S -> FLT110
                  2. HX916 -> CFW-8 -> AP 0.75x reducer -> FLT110, or
                  3. HX916 -> CFW-8 -> 2" extension tube -> FLT110

                  I don't find a weight problem with this on my G11, although the OTA
                  usually needs to be moved 2/3 of the way forward.

                  One thing you may want to consider is a simple counterweight attached
                  to the OTA in the front. Something like a simple ankle excercise
                  weight may work.

                  Regards,

                  -Paul

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jim.a@r...>
                  wrote:
                  > Dear all,
                  >
                  > I have just put together my image train and it consists of the
                  following.

                  > SXV-H9 -> Optec TCF -> Optec IFW -> FLT110. I have this mounted on
                  the
                  > GT1-HD and when focused, I am finding the OTA is fairly back
                  heavy. I can
                  > not move the OTA further forward on the GT1 Saddle Plate as the
                  focuser knob
                  > housing will contact the saddle plate. Any suggestions would be
                  most
                  > appreciated.
                  >
                  > This configuration is fairly heavy and I am wondering if others
                  have similar
                  > situations.
                  >
                  > All the best,
                  >
                  > Jim
                • Rob MacKay
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                    i have mine set up this way because the CFW2 mates to the MaxCam and you
                    can't really separate them in the train. It all seems to work well and the
                    CFW2 is very low profile as well. Only 0.8" thick.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                      Thanks Paul and Rob for your responses.

                      I will try the ankle weight. I think I still have one or two lying around
                      gather dust bunnies.
                      Funny how that happens :)

                      wrote:
                      > Dear all,
                      >
                      > I have just put together my image train and it consists of the
                      following.

                      > SXV-H9 -> Optec TCF -> Optec IFW -> FLT110. I have this mounted on
                      the
                      > GT1-HD and when focused, I am finding the OTA is fairly back
                      heavy. I can
                      > not move the OTA further forward on the GT1 Saddle Plate as the
                      focuser knob
                      > housing will contact the saddle plate. Any suggestions would be
                      most
                      > appreciated.
                      >
                      > This configuration is fairly heavy and I am wondering if others
                      have similar
                      > situations.
                      >
                      > All the best,
                      >
                      > Jim

                    • Paul K
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                        Jim, just secure it well so the weight doesn't shift while you're
                        imaging.