Megrez 80SD?

  • Chris Cook
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2003
      Hi group -

      This is my first post here.
      I am looking into purchasing the Megrez 80 to use as a birding,
      daytime telephoto and low power deep-sky scanning instrument.

      I've read reviews of the scope and it seems that when it was
      introduced, there was a problem with incorrectly placed baffles and
      astigmatism in the objective. Have these issues been fixed in the
      current Megrez 80's? I don't want to find out I have problems like
      these and have to return it to be fixed.

      Any thoughts?

      Clear skies!

      Chris

      ----------------------------------
      Chris Cook
      Astronomical & Nightscape Photography
      www.abmedia.com/astro
    • Jim Bielaga
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7, 2003
        Chris,

        Yes, that was one batch of scopes we received and they were fixed here
        and reshipped. David and William Yang both showed us how to correct
        those errors. That had to have been 2 yrs ago or more.

        Jim Bielaga
        Anacortes Telescope and Wild Bird
        www.buytelescopes.com
        360-588-9000
        800-850-2001 orders

        I am looking into purchasing the Megrez 80 to use as a birding,
        daytime telephoto and low power deep-sky scanning instrument.

        I've read reviews of the scope and it seems that when it was
        introduced, there was a problem with incorrectly placed baffles and
        astigmatism in the objective. Have these issues been fixed in the
        current Megrez 80's? I don't want to find out I have problems like
        these and have to return it to be fixed.

        Any thoughts?

        Clear skies!

        Chris

        ----------------------------------
        Chris Cook
        Astronomical & Nightscape Photography
        www.abmedia.com/astro

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Chris Cook
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
          Thanks Jim!

          Chris

          ----------------------------------

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Bielaga" <jimb@b...>
          wrote:
          > Chris,
          >
          > Yes, that was one batch of scopes we received and they were fixed
          here
          > and reshipped. David and William Yang both showed us how to correct
          > those errors. That had to have been 2 yrs ago or more.
          >

          > Jim Bielaga
          > Anacortes Telescope and Wild Bird
          > www.buytelescopes.com
          > 360-588-9000
          > 800-850-2001 orders

        • astro_ovaz
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
            Chris, I just bought an "almost new" 1 month old, Megrez 80 on
            ASTROMART. It is a great scope and displays none of the problems
            associated with the earlier mentioned lens cell being to tight. I
            have it piggyback mounted on my NexStar 11GPS and it makes a great
            wide field scope or finder when I have a camera on my 11".

            Clear Skies
            Gary
            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Cook" <ccjd@i...> wrote:
            > Hi group -
            >
            > This is my first post here.
            > I am looking into purchasing the Megrez 80 to use as a birding,
            > daytime telephoto and low power deep-sky scanning instrument.
            >
            > I've read reviews of the scope and it seems that when it was
            > introduced, there was a problem with incorrectly placed baffles and
            > astigmatism in the objective. Have these issues been fixed in the
            > current Megrez 80's? I don't want to find out I have problems like
            > these and have to return it to be fixed.
            >
            > Any thoughts?
            >
            > Clear skies!
            >
            > Chris
            >
            > ----------------------------------
            > Chris Cook
            > Astronomical & Nightscape Photography
            > www.abmedia.com/astro
          • Jim Anderson
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
              Dear all,

              I have just put together my image train and it consists of the following.

              SXV-H9 -> Optec TCF -> Optec IFW -> FLT110. I have this mounted on the
              GT1-HD and when focused, I am finding the OTA is fairly back heavy. I can
              not move the OTA further forward on the GT1 Saddle Plate as the focuser knob
              housing will contact the saddle plate. Any suggestions would be most
              appreciated.

              This configuration is fairly heavy and I am wondering if others have similar
              situations.

              All the best,

              Jim
            • Rob MacKay
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                My image train looks like this:

                MaxCam CM10 -> CFW-2 -> Optec TCF -> FLT110

                I mount this on a GT-1 side by side with an FS78/ST4 setup. I have noticed
                that it is quite back heavy but I haven't had any problems with balance yet.
                Due to the TCF I also don't have to rack the focuser out very much at all so
                that might make a difference too. In fact I think I only back it out about
                1/8 of a inch and let the TCF go from there.

                Rob

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                  Rob,

                  Interesting that you have the color wheel behind the Opetc TCF. I hadn't
                  thought of that. Is there a reason for doing it that way? I wonder by
                  having the filter wheel ahead of the focuser, might I be introducing
                  something I don't want? With the 2" filters in the IFW, I thought I was
                  been smart placing it ahead of the focuser. What is the depth of CFW-2? The
                  Optec IFW has a form factor of 1".

                  I just got the focuser and wheel thus I haven't had the chance to try it out
                  yet (and the forecast is not looking to good for the next little while).
                  July and August have just been the pits for weather here in Toronto.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                    Jim,

                    I usually use one of the following configurations:
                    1. HX916 -> CFW-8 -> NGF-S -> FLT110
                    2. HX916 -> CFW-8 -> AP 0.75x reducer -> FLT110, or
                    3. HX916 -> CFW-8 -> 2" extension tube -> FLT110

                    I don't find a weight problem with this on my G11, although the OTA
                    usually needs to be moved 2/3 of the way forward.

                    One thing you may want to consider is a simple counterweight attached
                    to the OTA in the front. Something like a simple ankle excercise
                    weight may work.

                    Regards,

                    -Paul

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jim.a@r...>
                    wrote:
                    > Dear all,
                    >
                    > I have just put together my image train and it consists of the
                    following.

                    > SXV-H9 -> Optec TCF -> Optec IFW -> FLT110. I have this mounted on
                    the
                    > GT1-HD and when focused, I am finding the OTA is fairly back
                    heavy. I can
                    > not move the OTA further forward on the GT1 Saddle Plate as the
                    focuser knob
                    > housing will contact the saddle plate. Any suggestions would be
                    most
                    > appreciated.
                    >
                    > This configuration is fairly heavy and I am wondering if others
                    have similar
                    > situations.
                    >
                    > All the best,
                    >
                    > Jim
                  • Rob MacKay
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                      i have mine set up this way because the CFW2 mates to the MaxCam and you
                      can't really separate them in the train. It all seems to work well and the
                      CFW2 is very low profile as well. Only 0.8" thick.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                        Thanks Paul and Rob for your responses.

                        I will try the ankle weight. I think I still have one or two lying around
                        gather dust bunnies.
                        Funny how that happens :)

                        wrote:
                        > Dear all,
                        >
                        > I have just put together my image train and it consists of the
                        following.

                        > SXV-H9 -> Optec TCF -> Optec IFW -> FLT110. I have this mounted on
                        the
                        > GT1-HD and when focused, I am finding the OTA is fairly back
                        heavy. I can
                        > not move the OTA further forward on the GT1 Saddle Plate as the
                        focuser knob
                        > housing will contact the saddle plate. Any suggestions would be
                        most
                        > appreciated.
                        >
                        > This configuration is fairly heavy and I am wondering if others
                        have similar
                        > situations.
                        >
                        > All the best,
                        >
                        > Jim

                      • Paul K
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                          Jim, just secure it well so the weight doesn't shift while you're
                          imaging.