M106 Widefield using FLT110 F7 with TMB FF

  • Roy Cummings
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2009
      Well here is my rendition of a widefield with M106 as the dominant feature. Done at 770mm FL with an ST4000XCM. This was the dataset I used while I viewed Adam Block's DVD series "Making Every Pixel Count". I was also reading Ron Wodaski's excellent book "The Zone System" concurrently.
      Learned a lot and now feel much more comfortable processing in CCDStack and Photoshop. I tried a G2V calibration but the numbers (.85: 1.3: 1.69) just did not seem to jive based on the response curves for this CCD at the SBIG website. Used a star within 10 degrees of M106 but did not expose long enough for reliable readings. I'll try again next clear night. This image was processed with color weights 1:1:1 through out. Gave it a small midrange blue boost at the very end, there just wasn't enough color signal in the outer arms of M106.

      Hope you enjoy the image and critique is why it is here.

      http://www.astrophotogallery.org/showphoto.php/photo/3014

      Roy Cummings
    • kupainter
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 7:11 AM
        Roy, that is an incredible photo. I counted 7 small galaxies besides the main 2. Great color.

        Lynn

      • tr_cummings@charter.net
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 10:02 AM
          Thanks Lynn glad you like it.