Re: [William Optics] New flattener 4 availability

  • Steve L
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
      Well, its arrived... and its MASSIVE...

      http://www.steves-astro.com/images/misc/20090406_wo_flat4.jpg

      (Yes, the can next to it is normal size, not mini-airline size)

      Steve

      Steve L wrote:
      > I was hoping it would arrive today (clear sky for at least a few hours
      > tonight), but alas it was not to be.
      >
      > As soon as it arrives and I get a chance to use it, I will post a
      > message here.
      >
      > Steve
    • Perry Holcomb
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
        Steve,

        How many tons does that thing weigh???

        Perry

        Steve L wrote:
        > I was hoping it would arrive today (clear sky for at least a few hours
        > tonight), but alas it was not to be.
        >
        > As soon as it arrives and I get a chance to use it, I will post a
        > message here.
        >
        > Steve

      • Steve L
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
          I thought it was a scale model of hubble :)

          I just weighed it, and its 612 grams / 21.58 ounces / 1.34 lbs /
          0.000612 Metric Tons (ignore as required)

          Steve

          Perry Holcomb wrote:
          > Steve,
          >
          > How many tons does that thing weigh???
          >
          > Perry

        • Timm Bottoni
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
            Thanks for the update and pictures!

            Now that we know it is huge, all that remains is to see how well it actually works. If it works as well as everyone hopes, it could prove to be the next best thing since sliced Ethos bread.

            Timm

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Steve L <zorlac@...> wrote:

            > I thought it was a scale model of hubble :)
            >
            > I just weighed it, and its 612 grams / 21.58 ounces / 1.34 lbs /
            > 0.000612 Metric Tons (ignore as required)
            >
            > Steve
            >
            > Perry Holcomb wrote:
            > > Steve,
            > >
            > > How many tons does that thing weigh???
            > >
            > > Perry

          • Nigel
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
              Just received my Flattener IV - it's a beast.

              Waiting for Clear Skies to see if it's an improvement over the Flattener III with the Megrez 90 and I actually get round stars all over the field of view as per the WO website description!

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni" <t.bottoni@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the update and pictures!
              >
              > Now that we know it is huge, all that remains is to see how well it actually works. If it works as well as everyone hopes, it could prove to be the next best thing since sliced Ethos bread.
              >
              > Timm
              >
              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Steve L <zorlac@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I thought it was a scale model of hubble :)
              > >
              > > I just weighed it, and its 612 grams / 21.58 ounces / 1.34 lbs /
              > > 0.000612 Metric Tons (ignore as required)
              > >
              > > Steve
              > >
              > > Perry Holcomb wrote:
              > > > Steve,
              > > >
              > > > How many tons does that thing weigh???
              > > >
              > > > Perry

            • Steve L
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                As the AFR has changed completely, i`m wondering how much "back flange
                to CCD" distance we need to be adding to get it somewhere near the
                correct distance. From my rough measurements, I think its somewhere in
                the region of 45mm to 55mm, but we will have to wait and see.

                Steve

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 9, 2009
                  Clear skies last night and although the seeing was not great (high level mist) and an almost full moon I managed to get out and test the Flattener IV.

                  Yes it does live up to expectations giving round stars across the full frame on the Megrez 90 with modded Canon 1000D.

                  Recommended and much much better performance than the Flattener III

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 9, 2009
                    Did you have to play with the adjustment, or just get it somewhere near
                    where it should be and just shoot?

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 9, 2009
                      Steve

                      I just put the adjustment at the setting for the Megrez 90 and took a few shots of Capella as this was my final alignment star. I noticed that the setting had moved and re adjusted to the stop. To be honest I cant see a lot of diffrerence in the images. The adjsutment was only about 3mm off on the graduated scale.

                      With the Flattener IV I've noticed that I get much lower FWHM figures when focussing in Nebulosity

                      All in all I'm pleased with the outcome

                      Nigel

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 9, 2009