Re: Focuser Sag

  • Timm Bottoni
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi Greg,

      Is there a way to eliminate a variable and actually measure what you
      think is focuser sag? It may be that it is related to the Vixen
      product. Perhaps it is really an alignment issue that is not visible
      but this is just a guess.

      It seems more likely to me that this might be the direction to look
      since, the 66 and 90 WO scopes have completely different designs,
      focal lengths, focuser designs, etc. If the two products act the
      same, and the are so different, it would lead me think that the
      problem lies somewhere else, since what is the probability that those
      two completely different products would exhibit the exact same problem
      with the Vixen, but not with each other. Maybe through process of
      elimination and careful measuring you can figure out the root cause.

      Hope it helps somehow. Give us more feedback when you can and we
      will try to help while it's still cold out and we are too chicken to
      go outside and freeze our butts off.

      Timm

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gbenecke1@...> wrote:

      > I have both a Mergrez 90 and Zenithstar 66 SD that I use both as
      imaging scopes and guide
      > scopes with each other and with a Vixen R200SS Newt. I notice that
      when mated with the
      > R200SS as guide scopes there is an appreciable drift in the guiding
      that I attribute to the WO
      > focusers. The R200SS has a Moonlite focuser on it that is rock
      solid, so any drift I think is
      > from flexure in the focusers of the WO scopes. Interestingly when
      the WO scopes are used
      > with each other the drift is almost nil. I think this is because
      they sag in a similar fashion.

      > Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fight the battle of the sag?
      I have taken apart and
      > tightened and adjusted everything in the focusers and made some
      improvement, but some
      > flex still remains. I have looked at replacing the focusers with
      something like the Moonlite,
      > but one copy would cost as much or more than I paid for the 66.
      >
      > I have been entertaining drilling and tapping holes for set screws
      to lock down the tubes but
      > there goes the resale value if I ever want to sell them. Any
      thoughts are appreciated.

      > Greg

    • Rod Mckay
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
        It's definitely worth looking at how the scopes are mounted in relation to each other, as that may be a factor. I would expect a piggy-back arrangement to result in less differential flexure than a side-by-side arrangement.

        That said, I've got an FLT110 and piggy-backed ZS66SD, both of which exhibit flexure in the focus tube if you pull down on them. On the ZS66SD it was particularly bad until the supporting bearings and focuser roller were tightened quite aggressively, but it's all but gone now.

        On the FLT110 it was a similar story, but I still have a little flex left - you can see it via the graduations on the focus tube when you pull down on the end of the tube. It's only about 1/2 the width of a stripe now, but it used to be a lot worse.

        I'm guessing that it's the FLT that causing a 1-2 pixel drift between 10 minute exposures, due to the weight of the camera hanging off it, and the change in sag as the mount slowly rotates. I can almost live with this, but it would be nice to get rid of it if I can. It was 4+ pixels per 10 min exposure, and that was definitely a limiting factor.

        The other potential source of sag is the focus tube to camera tube compression ring. Even though there is a ring it still operates as an almost point source of pressure. It would be better if there were 2 or more tightening screws around the connection point, as I can still (just) move the camera extension tube when I've done the single tightening screw up with a pair of pliers!

        If anyone has found a simple solution to tube sag or compression ring failure please don't hesitate to let us all know!

        Cheers,
        Rod
        NZ

> [...]
        > Interestingly when
        >
        > the WO scopes are used
        >
        > > with each other the drift is almost nil. I think this
        > is because
        >
        > they sag in a similar fashion.
        >

        > > Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fight the
        > battle of the sag?
        >
        > I have taken apart and
        >
        > > tightened and adjusted everything in the focusers and
        > made some
        >
        > improvement, but some
        >
        > > flex still remains. I have looked at replacing the
        > focusers with
        >
        > something like the Moonlite,
        >
        > > but one copy would cost as much or more than I paid
        > for the 66.
        >

        > > I have been entertaining drilling and tapping holes
        > for set screws
        >
        > to lock down the tubes but
        >
        > > there goes the resale value if I ever want to sell

        Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox
      • Ed
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
          Greg,
          Have you thoroughly examined your mounting of the 66 or 90 on the
          Vixen looking for mount flexure? As you have the same issue with the 66 and
          90 together to a much, much lesser degree; I'm thinking that the difference
          between the optical axes of the scopes is what is behind the varying drift.
          The difference between the refractors is quite small. But between the Vixen
          and either of the WO scopes is substantially greater.

          Just a thought..............

          Forever clear skies & great seeing!
          Cheers, Ed
          RASC - Calgary Centre
          POD Astro Dome Observatory
          N 51° 05' 10.06" W 113° 58' 22.24"

          > Is there a way to eliminate a variable and actually measure what you
          > think is focuser sag? It may be that it is related to the Vixen
          > product. Perhaps it is really an alignment issue that is not visible
          > but this is just a guess.
          >
          > It seems more likely to me that this might be the direction to look
          > since, the 66 and 90 WO scopes have completely different designs,
          > focal lengths, focuser designs, etc. If the two products act the
          > same, and the are so different, it would lead me think that the
          > problem lies somewhere else, since what is the probability that those
          > two completely different products would exhibit the exact same problem
          > with the Vixen, but not with each other. Maybe through process of
          > elimination and careful measuring you can figure out the root cause.
          >
          > Hope it helps somehow. Give us more feedback when you can and we
          > will try to help while it's still cold out and we are too chicken to
          > go outside and freeze our butts off.
          >
          > Timm
          >

          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gbenecke1@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have both a Mergrez 90 and Zenithstar 66 SD that I use both as
          > imaging scopes and guide
          > > scopes with each other and with a Vixen R200SS Newt. I notice that
          > when mated with the
          > > R200SS as guide scopes there is an appreciable drift in the guiding
          > that I attribute to the WO
          > > focusers. The R200SS has a Moonlite focuser on it that is rock
          > solid, so any drift I think is
          > > from flexure in the focusers of the WO scopes. Interestingly when
          > the WO scopes are used
          > > with each other the drift is almost nil. I think this is because
          > they sag in a similar fashion.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fight the battle of the sag?
          > I have taken apart and
          > > tightened and adjusted everything in the focusers and made some
          > improvement, but some
          > > flex still remains. I have looked at replacing the focusers with
          > something like the Moonlite,
          > > but one copy would cost as much or more than I paid for the 66.
          > >
          > > I have been entertaining drilling and tapping holes for set screws
          > to lock down the tubes but
          > > there goes the resale value if I ever want to sell them. Any
          > thoughts are appreciated.
          > >
          > > Greg
          > >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > www.williamoptics.com www.williamopticsracing.comYahoo!
          Groups Links

        • Iver
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
            Hi Greg, I have a ZS66SD that I used for guiding and imaging! I was
            noticing some nights my images would be fine and other nights I'd have
            a focus gradient across the image. I used CCDI to pin the problem on
            focuser sag. By viewing the curvature map of images taken in different
            parts of the sky the sag was very obvious. I also tried to lessen the
            sag with limited success. As far as guiding goes, I'm using an SXV
            guide camera but even with that very small camera I notice some
            flexure. I've stopped imaging with the scope till I get a new focuser
            or somehow solve the problem. I know the focuser costs almost what the
            66 costs but I can't come up with a better solution. If you find a
            solution please let me know.

            -Iver
          • Ed Wozney
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
              Greg,
              Have you thoroughly examined your mounting of the 66 or 90 on
              the Vixen looking for mount flexure? As you have the same issue with
              the 66 and 90 together to a much, much lesser degree; I'm thinking
              that the difference between the optical axes of the scopes is what is
              behind the varying drift. The difference between the refractors is
              quite small. But between the Vixen and either of the WO scopes is
              substantially greater.

              Just a thought..............

              Forever clear skies & great seeing!
              Cheers, Ed
              RASC - Calgary Centre
              POD Astro Dome Observatory
              N 51° 05' 10.06" W 113° 58' 22.24"

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gbenecke1@...> wrote:

              > I have both a Mergrez 90 and Zenithstar 66 SD that I use both as
              imaging scopes and guide
              > scopes with each other and with a Vixen R200SS Newt. I notice that
              when mated with the
              > R200SS as guide scopes there is an appreciable drift in the guiding
              that I attribute to the WO
              > focusers. The R200SS has a Moonlite focuser on it that is rock
              solid, so any drift I think is
              > from flexure in the focusers of the WO scopes. Interestingly when
              the WO scopes are used
              > with each other the drift is almost nil. I think this is because
              they sag in a similar fashion.

              > Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fight the battle of the
              sag? I have taken apart and
              > tightened and adjusted everything in the focusers and made some
              improvement, but some
              > flex still remains. I have looked at replacing the focusers with
              something like the Moonlite,
              > but one copy would cost as much or more than I paid for the 66.
              >
              > I have been entertaining drilling and tapping holes for set screws
              to lock down the tubes but
              > there goes the resale value if I ever want to sell them. Any
              thoughts are appreciated.

              > Greg

            • Rod Mckay
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
                Thinking about this one further, have you ruled out movement within the Vixen scope optic train?

                Mirror movement is common with SCTs, so could it be that the primary or secondary mirrors in the Newt is moving slightly during the imaging session?

                My reasoning (as pointed out by others) is that you'd be pretty lucky to have 2 WO scopes that have matching sag, and the common element in your sag problem is the Vixen Newt => I'd suggest it's a possible cause.

                Cheers
                Rod

> [...]
                >

                > > I have taken apart and
                >

                > > > tightened and adjusted everything in the focusers
                > and
                >
                > > made some
                >

                > > improvement, but some
                >

                > > > flex still remains. I have looked at replacing
                > the
                >
                > > focusers with
                >

                > > something like the Moonlite,
                >

                > > > but one copy would cost as much or more than I
                > paid
                >
                > > for the 66.
                >

                > > > I have been entertaining drilling and tapping
                > holes
                >
                > > for set screws
                >

                > > to lock down the tubes but
                >

                > > > there goes the resale value if I ever want to
                > sell
                >
                > > them. Any
                >

                > > thoughts are appreciated.
                >

                > > > Greg

                > Stay connected to the people that matter most with a

              • Greg
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
                  Thanks for everyone's comments and sorry for taking so long to do so.

                  I am positive the R200SS is rock solid. Using a Barlowed laser collimator I can go on months of outings without needing to tweak collimation. That would not be possible if there was any shift of anything in the image train. The guide scope mounting should be solid as I am using Losmandy dovetail plate and guide ring tightened snugly.

                  I did take apart my Mergrez 90 focuser again and found something interesting. There was a 0.017" shim glued to the arched piece that holds the roller bearings for the draw tube. This was on the outside of the arch but did not reach all the way to the edge of arch by the rollers. This left a gap that I believe allowed the arch to flex under load from the rollers.

                  I built up some shims using heavy duty aluminium foil to 0.018' and put them under the unsupported ends. It was immediatley clear that there was less flexure as it was much harder to reassemble the draw tube into the focuser assembly than it has been previously. Now tightening the focuser tension set screw has a much better defined effect. Trying to wiggle the draw tube with it nearly fully extended seems to show much les flex. Even the nylon tipped focuser lock screw seems to work a little bit better.

                  I will now have to get out under the stars and see if ther is any actuall improvement in differential flexure.

                  Greg