First Light with New FLT 110 Lite

  • Tom Arrington
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
      Last night I was able to achieve first light with my new telescope, a
      William Optics FLT 110. Mine is the new "Lite" version with the new
      2.5" focuser, everything else is the same with the standard FLT
      110's. Visual tests were encouraging, no false color and the star
      rings looked good in and out of focus. Physically, this is a much
      bigger scope than my W/O 80mm doublet! 30mm adds a lot of size and
      bulk. It sure looks cool on the mount.

      I was able to capture 3 new photos. 2 of the 3 are shown here. I've
      more work to do on the third.

      First is a shot of the Cone Nebula and Christmas Tree Cluster. 16
      exposures of 6 minutes each. Combined and dark subtracted in Deep
      Sky Stacker. Post processed in PixInsight LE and PhotoShop CS3. You
      can see the photo here.

      http://tinyurl.com/ccnxto

      or

      http://www.pbase.com/image/108757483

      The second photo is of M44, the Bee Hive cluster. I shot this mainly
      as a test of how flat the field is on my Canon camera. This on is
      only 30 minutes of total exposure, 5 x 6 minutes. This is a full
      size image without cropping. You can see some elongation of the
      stars in the corners. I will need to get a field flattener someday.
      I don't often photograph open clusters. I do like this shot, so
      maybe more of these in the future. You can see the photo here:

      http://tinyurl.com/cvulhl

      or

      http://www.pbase.com/tom_arrington/image/108756795

      As always, comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

      Tom
    • John Wall III
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
        Tom,

        Thanks for sharing those photo's. I love that scope, it's good to
        see such good performance from it. You have a very nice gallery!

        CS's
        John

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Arrington"
        <notgnirra@...> wrote:

        > Last night I was able to achieve first light with my new telescope,
        > William Optics FLT 110. Mine is the new "Lite" version with the
        new
        > 2.5" focuser, everything else is the same with the standard FLT
        > 110's. Visual tests were encouraging, no false color and the star
        > rings looked good in and out of focus. Physically, this is a much
        > bigger scope than my W/O 80mm doublet! 30mm adds a lot of size and
        > bulk. It sure looks cool on the mount.
        >
        > I was able to capture 3 new photos. 2 of the 3 are shown here.
        I've
        > more work to do on the third.
        >
        > First is a shot of the Cone Nebula and Christmas Tree Cluster. 16
        > exposures of 6 minutes each. Combined and dark subtracted in Deep
        > Sky Stacker. Post processed in PixInsight LE and PhotoShop CS3.
        You
        > can see the photo here.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/ccnxto
        >
        > or
        >
        > http://www.pbase.com/image/108757483
        >
        > The second photo is of M44, the Bee Hive cluster. I shot this
        mainly
        > as a test of how flat the field is on my Canon camera. This on is
        > only 30 minutes of total exposure, 5 x 6 minutes. This is a full
        > size image without cropping. You can see some elongation of the
        > stars in the corners. I will need to get a field flattener
        someday.
        > I don't often photograph open clusters. I do like this shot, so
        > maybe more of these in the future. You can see the photo here:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/cvulhl
        >
        > or
        >
        > http://www.pbase.com/tom_arrington/image/108756795
        >
        > As always, comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.
        >
        > Tom

      • Frans Lalleman
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
          Graz with this result Tom,
          Very nice ,I must admit that it isn't so obvious that the stars are elongated to the corners.
          A FF wil improve the picture but to what extend I am not sure.
          Myself just ordered a FF IV from WO to connect to my new FLT 98 (cant get focus now with Cooled Canon Eos 40DA)
          I am quite new to the digital revolution so probably will ask for advice many times.
          cya

          Frans Lalleman
          dlalleman@...

          To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
          From: notgnirra@...
          Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 21:14:35 +0000
          Subject: [William Optics] First Light with New FLT 110 Lite

[...]

          Meer dan chatten alleen. Check nu de nieuwe Windows Live
        • Daniel Fafard
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
            Frans,

            Cooled Canon EOS 40DA?...You mean modify or I missed something?

            Thanks!

            Daniel Fafard
            Saint-Charles Borromée, Québec, Canada
            Lat: 46º 2' 50' Nord
            Long: 73º 28' 35'' Ouest

            "Découvrez la beauté du ciel"

            Sites Web: http://www.astronomeamateur.ca
                             http://www.notrejardin.ca
                             http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreamdan

            To: william-optics@yahoogroups.com
            From: dlalleman@...
            Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:52:49 +0000

            dlalleman@hotmail. com

            To: William-Optics@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
              check this out,I ordered one and it will be ready at the end of february

              http://www.robtics.nl/product_info.php?products_id=1234&pID=1234&language=en

              cya

              Frans Lalleman
              dlalleman@...

              To: william-optics@yahoogroups.com

              From: notgnirra@mchsi. com
              Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 21:14:35 +0000

[...]

              Ook nieuwsgierig naar de nieuwe Messenger? Download 'm hier
            • Tom Arrington
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
                Frans,

                It doesn't look like the cooled 40D has been modified in any way that
                should affect the focus. I don't know the W/O 98mm triplet; I do
                know my W/O 80mm Fluorite Doublet would not reach focus without an
                extension tube that was provided with the scope. I would have to add
                the extension tube and then the photo adapter to reach focus at the
                native f6.9. With the W/O FF II the extension tube is not needed.
                With the new FLT 110mm I don't need the extension tube at all.

                Good luck with your set up.

                Tom

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Frans Lalleman <dlalleman@...>