RE: [William Optics] Autoguider advice

  • madpc
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2008

      Hi Scot,

      I use Maxim DL for guiding. For imaging the Atik software is really simple to use so would stick with this.

      If you don’t have maxim you could use PHD Guiding it is supposed to be simple to use and setup + It’s free!!

      --

      Paul Gordon

      madpc@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2008
        The STV is quite nice. I purchased a SSAG, but sold it before having
        a chance to try it out. It was really a hassle to use (and required
        a laptop, which tends to dew up at night), compared to the STV.
        There has been a guy on the CloudyNight "swap 'n shop" forum that has
        been trying to sell an STV Deluxe for about $1200 for about 6 mo.
        Leave a message on the forum requsting an STV, and if its still
        available; I would make an offer. My $.02.

        http://www.barrie-tao.com/zs66black.html

        Ciao....Barry

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Scot Spencer <sspencer@...>
        wrote:

        > Daniel,
        >
        > Thanks. I've seen lots of ads for the Orion autoguider, but I
        thought
        > it almost seemed too inexpensive to be any good. You say you've
        > tested and it works okay with your CPC11? How long an exposure
        have
        > you tried? I assume you have an equatorial wedge on your mount? Of
        > course a CPC11 is going to be a lot fussier about tracking than my
        > little M110.
        >
        > Scot Spencer
        >

        > On Nov 7, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Daniel Fafard wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Scot,
        > >
        > > I'm new to astrophotography too...I'm waiting for my new WO98
        FLT.
        > > Meanwhile I do tests on my CPC11. I just bought the Orion
        > > autoguider StarShoot. You may consider this product. Easy to use.
        > > Here is the link:
        > >
        > > http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=astro-
        > > imaging_camera/~pcategory=astro-imaging/~product_id=52064
        > >

        > > Good luck and clear sky!
        > >

        > > Daniel Fafard
        > > Saint-Charles Borromée, Québec, Canada
        > > Lat: 46º 2' 50' Nord
        > > Long: 73º 28' 35'' Ouest
        > > Sites Web: http://www.astronomeamateur.ca
        > > http://www.notrejardin.ca
        > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreamdan

        > > To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: sspencer@...
        > > Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:21:34 -0500
        > > Subject: Re: [William Optics] Autoguider advice
        > >

        > > Thanks Paul,
        > >
        > > That looks ideal, and is even in my price range. The CG-5 does
        have
        > > a ST-4 connection. I read that the ATIK161C comes with MaximDL,
        > > AstroArt drivers and some kind of proprietary imaging software.
        I'm
        > > not familiar with those. Is that the software that you use? I've
        > > never used an autoguider before. What are some of the things that
        > > need to be looking for that make a difference?
        > >
        > > Scot Spencer
        > >

        > > On Nov 7, 2008, at 9:52 AM, madpc wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi Scot,
        > >

        > > I have a similar setup in that I have a William Optics FLT-98
        which
        > > I use my Canon 40D with for imaging.
        > >
        > > Then a Megrez 72 and a B/W Atik 16ICs for guiding (You can also
        use
        > > the excellent Atik CCD for imaging too!)
        > >
        > > I think The CG5 accepts an ST-4 connection
        > >

        > > http://www.madpc.co.uk/Images/equipment/Kit.htm
        > >

        > > You could buy the smaller Atik 16IC This camera will also make a
        > > high quality and super sensitive autguider and it
        > >
        > > includes an ST-4 compatible guider output socket. Cost £359 (The
        > > Dollar is a lot stronger now so this should
        > >
        > > be cheaper to purchase J)
        > >
        > > And the Atik RJ11 Autoguider cable.
        > >

        > > HTH,
        > >

        > > --