Re: Autoguider advice

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hi Scott
      Regarding an autoguider it depends what camera you are shooting
      with. If you are using a dslr I highly recommend the SBIG STV or the
      st-4. Neither need a computer and both are excellent.
      You can find both on astromart. Used you can get the st-4 used for
      ~$400. The only problem is the item is no longer supported by sbig.
      The STV is great but goes for 4 times the price on astromart.
      I have used both and both are excellent.
      dan
    • madpc
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2008

        Hi Scot,

        I use Maxim DL for guiding. For imaging the Atik software is really simple to use so would stick with this.

        If you don’t have maxim you could use PHD Guiding it is supposed to be simple to use and setup + It’s free!!

        --

        Paul Gordon

        madpc@...

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2008
          The STV is quite nice. I purchased a SSAG, but sold it before having
          a chance to try it out. It was really a hassle to use (and required
          a laptop, which tends to dew up at night), compared to the STV.
          There has been a guy on the CloudyNight "swap 'n shop" forum that has
          been trying to sell an STV Deluxe for about $1200 for about 6 mo.
          Leave a message on the forum requsting an STV, and if its still
          available; I would make an offer. My $.02.

          http://www.barrie-tao.com/zs66black.html

          Ciao....Barry

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Scot Spencer <sspencer@...>
          wrote:

          > Daniel,
          >
          > Thanks. I've seen lots of ads for the Orion autoguider, but I
          thought
          > it almost seemed too inexpensive to be any good. You say you've
          > tested and it works okay with your CPC11? How long an exposure
          have
          > you tried? I assume you have an equatorial wedge on your mount? Of
          > course a CPC11 is going to be a lot fussier about tracking than my
          > little M110.
          >
          > Scot Spencer
          >

          > On Nov 7, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Daniel Fafard wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Scot,
          > >
          > > I'm new to astrophotography too...I'm waiting for my new WO98
          FLT.
          > > Meanwhile I do tests on my CPC11. I just bought the Orion
          > > autoguider StarShoot. You may consider this product. Easy to use.
          > > Here is the link:
          > >
          > > http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=astro-
          > > imaging_camera/~pcategory=astro-imaging/~product_id=52064
          > >

          > > Good luck and clear sky!
          > >

          > > Daniel Fafard
          > > Saint-Charles Borromée, Québec, Canada
          > > Lat: 46º 2' 50' Nord
          > > Long: 73º 28' 35'' Ouest
          > > Sites Web: http://www.astronomeamateur.ca
          > > http://www.notrejardin.ca
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreamdan

          > > To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: sspencer@...
          > > Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:21:34 -0500
          > > Subject: Re: [William Optics] Autoguider advice
          > >

          > > Thanks Paul,
          > >
          > > That looks ideal, and is even in my price range. The CG-5 does
          have
          > > a ST-4 connection. I read that the ATIK161C comes with MaximDL,
          > > AstroArt drivers and some kind of proprietary imaging software.
          I'm
          > > not familiar with those. Is that the software that you use? I've
          > > never used an autoguider before. What are some of the things that
          > > need to be looking for that make a difference?
          > >
          > > Scot Spencer
          > >

          > > On Nov 7, 2008, at 9:52 AM, madpc wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi Scot,
          > >

          > > I have a similar setup in that I have a William Optics FLT-98
          which
          > > I use my Canon 40D with for imaging.
          > >
          > > Then a Megrez 72 and a B/W Atik 16ICs for guiding (You can also
          use
          > > the excellent Atik CCD for imaging too!)
          > >
          > > I think The CG5 accepts an ST-4 connection
          > >

          > > http://www.madpc.co.uk/Images/equipment/Kit.htm
          > >

          > > You could buy the smaller Atik 16IC This camera will also make a
          > > high quality and super sensitive autguider and it
          > >
          > > includes an ST-4 compatible guider output socket. Cost £359 (The
          > > Dollar is a lot stronger now so this should
          > >
          > > be cheaper to purchase J)
          > >
          > > And the Atik RJ11 Autoguider cable.
          > >

          > > HTH,
          > >

          > > --