General Questions

  • Dr Papiniflas Romponifele
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2008
      Hi.

      I am thinking about buying the WO Zenithstar 80mm APO. I've been
      researching and found that some people buy the celestron nexstar 60mm
      refractor with go to mount just for the mount and they use it with the
      zenithstar. Is this possible? does it work?

      Another question: For visual use only (no photography) would you choose
      the 80mm apo over a larger reflector?
    • chrisjbaileyuk
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2008
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Papiniflas Romponifele"
        <dborregoa@...> wrote:

        > Hi.
        >
        > I am thinking about buying the WO Zenithstar 80mm APO. I've been
        > researching and found that some people buy the celestron nexstar 60mm
        > refractor with go to mount just for the mount and they use it with
        the
        > zenithstar. Is this possible? does it work?
        >
        > Another question: For visual use only (no photography) would you
        choose
        > the 80mm apo over a larger reflector?

        I cant answer your question on the Nexstar 60 but dont really see why
        not.

        The ZS80 is a good little scope. I use mine mainly for Autoguiding but
        have imaged through it. It is rather focus critical but takes quite
        high power eyepieces very well with only a hint of blue haloing. It
        makes a great grab and go scope, is well made, has a good focuser and
        will take 2" accessories.
      • Geoff Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
          Refractor or larger reflector? Lets face it, refractors are an
          indulgence. You can spend $3K on a 4" APO refractor, or buy a 16"
          Lightbridge and have money left over and you'll see far more through
          the big dob. You've got to love refractors for their asthetic beauty
          and tack sharp images, or there is no point in buying them.
          Geoff
          <dborregoa@...> wrote:

          > Hi.
          >
          > I am thinking about buying the WO Zenithstar 80mm APO. I've been
          > researching and found that some people buy the celestron nexstar 60mm
          > refractor with go to mount just for the mount and they use it with
          the
          > zenithstar. Is this possible? does it work?
          >
          > Another question: For visual use only (no photography) would you
          choose
          > the 80mm apo over a larger reflector?

        • clivegibbonsca
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Smith" <ghsmith45@...>
            wrote:

            > Refractor or larger reflector? Lets face it, refractors are an
            > indulgence. You can spend $3K on a 4" APO refractor, or buy a 16"
            > Lightbridge and have money left over and you'll see far more through
            > the big dob. You've got to love refractors for their asthetic beauty
            > and tack sharp images, or there is no point in buying them.
            > Geoff

            I've got my Megrez 110ED sitting on it's EQ-3 mount and tripod, close
            to the side door of the house, ready to use.
            It can all be lifted and moved outside in one trip.

            For "observing on a whim", it's hard to beat... and the scope has
            extremely fine quality images, too. The motor drive keeps things
            tracking nicely.

            The sort of high quality "grab 'n' go" performance this aging carcass
            appreciates.

            I used to own an 11 inch SCT.
            Lots of light gathering power... not the crispest looking image, tho.
            That aperture would have benefitted a nice dark sky, for DSO viewing.
            My suburban location with light polluted skies doesn't lend itself
            well to that. To top it off, the SCT was heavy. It got sold...