Re: C9.25 OTA on an EZ Touch

  • Timm Bottoni
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
      Hi Dave,

      I have the original EZTouch with WO Tripod and have been using it as
      follows and am happy with it.

      On the Vixen side, the WO M80FD with 2" extension, 2" WO Dielectric
      diagonal, and UWANs and other eyepieces. Also mounted on the 80FD is
      the 50mm Stellarvue RACI finderscope.

      On the other side, the WO Combo Plate, with an older C8 OTA, 2" WO
      Dielectric Diagonal, various eyepieces including the WO Zoom II
      eyepiece which is quite heavy.

      Either scope on one side only is still fine, but it does seem really
      well balanced with both on at the same time, and very smooth with this
      much weight on it. Damping times are OK, a couple of seconds on my
      wood deck, but tracking at high powers with the SCT takes a bit of
      skill. I have some old neoprene foam mousepads that I cut up to put
      under the tripod feet that help. I would suspect that the real
      Vibration Suppression Pads would work even better, but I am too cheap
      to buy them ;-)

      I would suggest trying it first without a counterweight. I have seen
      two options for counterweights, one for each side, and both seemed
      viable. If you need more info on counterweights, let us all know,
      since I know that others in the group and on various other groups have
      tried different things that all seemed to work.

      Timm

      P.S. If you have the money to spend at some point, I would recommend
      a WO 2" Dielectric diagonal - the one I have is the newer one that
      included both the 2" refractor nose piece, and the threaded SCT piece.
      They are interchangeable and it works extremely well. I haven't
      written a review on the WO Zoom II eyepiece yet, but I bought it with
      the idea of being able to zoom in and out in the C8 on the EZTouch,
      and it works quite well. It's not cheap, but it is pretty much the
      only eyepiece I now use in the C8, and I would recommend it as well.
      Again more money, but these are both things you can always add down
      the road if you want.

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, daveabrey <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hi all :).
      >
      > According to the specs, the EZ Touch can support a weight of 10kg on
      one side, so it should
      > be able to cope with a C9.25 OTA at 9kg (I'm using the standard
      diagonal and plossl EPs, so
      > the extra weight should still be under 10kg). Would it be a good
      idea to use some
      > counterweights with this, and if so, how much/how far out from the
      mount would be best to
      > use?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Dave.

    • daveabrey
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
        Timm,

        Thanks for the reply :).

        Sometimes, I wish I'd have got the 8" instead of the 9.25", as it's so much lighter, and
        would remove many of the mounting issues ;). Although I have spoken with someone that
        uses the EZT/C9.25 combo with some counterweights, I'd love to get some more feedback
        before actually buying the mount. So, if anyone reading this has more info to add, please
        chip in :).

        I actually already have the WO 2" diagonal, but hadn't been using it. The reason is that I
        didn't get on with the fact that to rotate it, you need to loosen the threaded collar, and
        with cold fingers, that can be a bit awkward. I I had been using it via a Feathertouch
        crayford focuser, as that allows rotating the diagonal by loosening thumb screws.
        However, with it mounted on an alt-az mount, that shouldn't be an issue. In fact, I'd
        actually been using it incorrectly when using the SCT collar - I'd screwed it in to the end
        of the refractor nose piece, and subsequently had bit of trouble removing it! Suffice to
        say, I have now removed the refractor nosepiece :).

        Regards,

        Dave.