M33

  • Sander Pool
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 25, 2008
      Finally a galaxy image I'm pretty happy with. Here's the cropped image:

      http://gallery.tungstentech.com/main.php?g2_itemId=863

      Description and link to the full field image are on the site. Naturally
      I used equipment, software and techniques relevant to the groups this is
      posted to.

      I'm still experimenting with the best application of deconvolution and
      wavelet techniques to enhance detail in nebulosity without artifacts
      around stars. I haven't tried using a DSS created star mask yet. I think
      I was able to enhance the dust details a little but I still want more. I
      know the tools available in PI-C are capable of that but I'm not yet :)

      Thanks for looking and comments encouraged of course.

      Sander
    • John Wall III
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 25, 2008
        Looks nice. I've tried this one a few times but have a hard time
        finding the center. Good job.

        John

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander@...> wrote:

        > Finally a galaxy image I'm pretty happy with. Here's the cropped
        image:

        > http://gallery.tungstentech.com/main.php?g2_itemId=863
        >
        > Description and link to the full field image are on the site.
        Naturally
        > I used equipment, software and techniques relevant to the groups
        this is
        > posted to.
        >
        > I'm still experimenting with the best application of deconvolution
        and
        > wavelet techniques to enhance detail in nebulosity without
        artifacts
        > around stars. I haven't tried using a DSS created star mask yet. I
        think
        > I was able to enhance the dust details a little but I still want
        more. I
        > know the tools available in PI-C are capable of that but I'm not
        yet :)

        > Thanks for looking and comments encouraged of course.
        >
        > Sander

      • Sander Pool
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 25, 2008
          Thanks John. What was the trouble finding the center?

          John Wall III wrote:

          > Looks nice. I've tried this one a few times but have a hard time
          > finding the center. Good job.
          >
          > John
          >
          > -

        • John Wall III
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 25, 2008
            Sander,

            I've tried twice to get M33. I use 5 min subs to frame, but with my
            setup it doesn't seem to be enough. I can't tell the bright spots in
            the arms of the Galaxy from the center. My CLS LP filter is a little
            darker than some, perhaps that's it.

            John

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander@...> wrote:

            > Thanks John. What was the trouble finding the center?
            >
            > John Wall III wrote:
            > >
            > > Looks nice. I've tried this one a few times but have a hard time
            > > finding the center. Good job.
            > >
            > > John
            > >
            > > -

          • Sander Pool
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 25, 2008
              John,

              which capture program do you use? One thing I miss about not being able
              to use Envisage anymore is that it has a nice contrast enhance feature
              that allows you to see dim structures for framing. With Nebulosity you
              have to very carefully slide the black and white point sliders as the
              default isn't very useful. The sliders are tiny so this is not an easy
              process. This is what I did the other day and it showed me a faint M33.
              I also used surrounding stars to make sure I was framed correctly. In
              addition my EQ6 with EQMOD has dead-on goto accuracy when properly
              aligned so I was pretty confident I was looking at the right spot. I
              think I used 30s frames for framing but I'm not sure.

              Sander

              John Wall III wrote:

              > Sander,
              >
              > I've tried twice to get M33. I use 5 min subs to frame, but with my
              > setup it doesn't seem to be enough. I can't tell the bright spots in
              > the arms of the Galaxy from the center. My CLS LP filter is a little
              > darker than some, perhaps that's it.
              >
              > John

            • Sander Pool
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 25, 2008
                John,

                I forgot to add that I use DeepSkyStacker Live to monitor the capture
                process so at most I'll waste a single exposure if I got the framing wrong.

                Sander

                John Wall III wrote:

                > Sander,
                >
                > I've tried twice to get M33. I use 5 min subs to frame, but with my
                > setup it doesn't seem to be enough. I can't tell the bright spots in
                > the arms of the Galaxy from the center. My CLS LP filter is a little
                > darker than some, perhaps that's it.
                >
                > John

              • John Wall III
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 26, 2008
                  Sander,

                  I use Nebulosity, the black and white point sliders is what I use to
                  brighten. It works very well for most targets.
                  I probably have an old version of Deepskystacker, I'll have to check
                  out the live monitor feature .
                  With all the improvements in EQMOD it doesn't work well with my GPUSB
                  anymore. EQASCOM doesn't seem work as well without PEC and I haven't
                  had time to learn it very well yet. Pem-Pro has a direct support
                  with EQMOD that is suppose to simplify the process. Have you tried
                  this program yet?

                  John

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander@...> wrote:

                  > John,
                  >
                  > I forgot to add that I use DeepSkyStacker Live to monitor the
                  capture
                  > process so at most I'll waste a single exposure if I got the
                  framing wrong.

                  > Sander
                  >
                  > John Wall III wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sander,
                  > >
                  > > I've tried twice to get M33. I use 5 min subs to frame, but with
                  my
                  > > setup it doesn't seem to be enough. I can't tell the bright spots
                  in
                  > > the arms of the Galaxy from the center. My CLS LP filter is a
                  little
                  > > darker than some, perhaps that's it.
                  > >
                  > > John

                • Sander Pool
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 27, 2008
                    John,

                    I find the sliders to small for making slight adjustments but that's
                    just me.

                    ST-4 guiding (through a GPUSB for example) bypasses EQMOD so I'm not
                    sure how why it wouldn't work for you. Clearly there's no PEC on the
                    EQ/6 without EQMOD as the stock controller doesn't support it and
                    neither does the low level board on the mount itself. I pulse guide
                    without PEC all the time and it works great. With PEC is better but the
                    difference isn't staggering I think.

                    I've heard of Pempro but I've never seen nor used it.

                    I'm sure the moderators are frowning at all this non-WO talk. Let's take
                    the discussion to the EQMOD forum if you'd like to continue.

                    Sander

                    John Wall III wrote:

                    > Sander,
                    >
                    > I use Nebulosity, the black and white point sliders is what I use to
                    > brighten. It works very well for most targets.
                    > I probably have an old version of Deepskystacker, I'll have to check
                    > out the live monitor feature .
                    > With all the improvements in EQMOD it doesn't work well with my GPUSB
                    > anymore. EQASCOM doesn't seem work as well without PEC and I haven't
                    > had time to learn it very well yet. Pem-Pro has a direct support
                    > with EQMOD that is suppose to simplify the process. Have you tried
                    > this program yet?
                    >
                    > John

                  • Rod Mollise
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 27, 2008
                      Uh...the stock HC DOES feature PEC...

                      Peace,
                      Rod Mollise
                      Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                      The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                      <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

                        Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                        The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                        <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

                        I find the sliders to small for making slight adjustments but that's
                        just me.

                        ST-4 guiding (through a GPUSB for example) bypasses EQMOD so I'm not
                        sure how why it wouldn't work for you. Clearly there's no PEC on the
                        EQ/6 without EQMOD as the stock controller doesn't support it and
                        neither does the low level board on the mount itself.

                        ------------------------------------

                        www.williamoptics.com www.williamopticsracing.comYahoo!
                        Groups Links
                      • Sander Pool
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 27, 2008
                          Well that's news. PEC was billed as one of the big improvements of EQMOD
                          over SynScan. I'll have to re-read the maual. OK, I just did. While
                          Synscan supports PEC and I shouldn't have said it didn't it seems very
                          difficult to do compared to what EQMOD provides with perecorder and
                          pecprep. Big differences:

                          - synscan requires you to guide by hand, eqmod uses a camera during
                          training. I thought synscan would use ST-4 signals to record PEC but it
                          doesn't.
                          - synscan records a single worm cycle, eqmod can record and use as many
                          as you like to determine an average pec
                          - synscan requires you to be very accurately polar aligned, eqmod does not

                          I venture to guess very few synscan users use PEC.

                          Sander

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 27, 2008
                            Sander,

                            For now I'm having fun with my
                            VixenGPD2/Autostar/GPS/WarpDrive/AP909/GPUSB light weight mount. I
                            just bought the last WO ZS66 USA commemorative scope (very nice) to
                            mount on top of my 'new to me' APM 105 LW.

                            I never spent enough time pulse guiding to get good at it. The ST4
                            port shuts down EQMOD when it is initialized. Kind of a pain. I'm
                            pouring a pier in the back yard, so I'm going to get serious about it
                            soon once again. Guess I'll see you back at EQMOD Yahoo when I do.
                            It's really a great project, I'm just slow at learning it.

                            Thanks for your advise,
                            John

                            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander@...> wrote:

                            > John,
                            >
                            > I find the sliders to small for making slight adjustments but
                            that's
                            > just me.
                            >
                            > ST-4 guiding (through a GPUSB for example) bypasses EQMOD so I'm
                            not
                            > sure how why it wouldn't work for you. Clearly there's no PEC on
                            the
                            > EQ/6 without EQMOD as the stock controller doesn't support it and
                            > neither does the low level board on the mount itself. I pulse guide
                            > without PEC all the time and it works great. With PEC is better but
                            the
                            > difference isn't staggering I think.
                            >
                            > I've heard of Pempro but I've never seen nor used it.
                            >
                            > I'm sure the moderators are frowning at all this non-WO talk. Let's
                            take
                            > the discussion to the EQMOD forum if you'd like to continue.
                            >
                            > Sander
                            >
                            > John Wall III wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Sander,
                            > >
                            > > I use Nebulosity, the black and white point sliders is what I use
                            > > brighten. It works very well for most targets.
                            > > I probably have an old version of Deepskystacker, I'll have to
                            check
                            > > out the live monitor feature .
                            > > With all the improvements in EQMOD it doesn't work well with my
                            GPUSB
                            > > anymore. EQASCOM doesn't seem work as well without PEC and I
                            haven't
                            > > had time to learn it very well yet. Pem-Pro has a direct support
                            > > with EQMOD that is suppose to simplify the process. Have you tried
                            > > this program yet?
                            > >
                            > > John

                          • Sander Pool
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 27, 2008
                              John,

                              I poured a pier last year myself and it's been great! I'd rather have an
                              observatory but I consider this a small step towards approval for an
                              obs. from the War Department. If you hadn't seen them yet here are some
                              pictures I took of my pier construction:

                              http://www.tungstentech.com/Articles/Astronomy/AstroPierConstruction/tabid/68/Default.aspx

                              When you're ready we'll see you back on the EQMOD list. Pulse Guiding
                              isn't hard to get started with, really. Once you get it going the trick
                              is to optimize it. Pulse guiding allows many more tweaks than ST-4. I
                              suppose this extra power comes at the expense of complexity.

                              Sander

                              John Wall III wrote:

                              > Sander,
                              >
                              > For now I'm having fun with my
                              > VixenGPD2/Autostar/GPS/WarpDrive/AP909/GPUSB light weight mount. I
                              > just bought the last WO ZS66 USA commemorative scope (very nice) to
                              > mount on top of my 'new to me' APM 105 LW.
                              >
                              > I never spent enough time pulse guiding to get good at it. The ST4
                              > port shuts down EQMOD when it is initialized. Kind of a pain. I'm
                              > pouring a pier in the back yard, so I'm going to get serious about it
                              > soon once again. Guess I'll see you back at EQMOD Yahoo when I do.
                              > It's really a great project, I'm just slow at learning it.
                              >
                              > Thanks for your advise,
                              > John
                              >
                              > -

                            • John Wall III
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 27, 2008
                                Thanks Sander. The pier will be good for now I think. I have 6 Dark
                                Sky panels to put around it temporaraly. They work fine, and are not
                                hard to put up.

                                Good luck with the war department. ;^)