new diffraction mask for focusing

  • Sander Pool
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2008
      Well, it appears to be new anyway given the reactions so far. You may
      have read about this on cloudy nights here:

      http://tinyurl.com/5lezoc

      I made one quickly out of some paper and foam board for my M110. I
      focused in literally 2 minutes although I was already close from a
      previous session. After focusing I took 2 5 minute exposures in the area
      around Altair and let DeepSkyStacker Live monitor the files. It reported
      an image FWHM of 3.24 and 3.28. Focusing with HFR in Nebulosity 2 I'm
      happy to get 3.5 or so and that takes lots of time.

      Anyway, this mask isn't useful for automated focusing but for manual
      focusing it's pretty much terrific. I think you'll agree that focusing
      is half the battle for getting decent pictures. This appears to help a
      great deal.

      Here is a picture of my mask to show how trivial it is and three snaps
      to show the diffraction pattern:

      http://gallery.tungstentech.com/main.php?g2_itemId=816

      The fits images were loaded in fitswork and the default stretch was
      used. In preview mode 2x2 binning is used so this is lower resolution
      than a 1x1 image would achieve.

      Sander