102 Megrez Focuser

  • dtblackie1
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2003
      Question, are others with this scope having problems with heavier
      eyepieces? Naglers for example.

      There doesn't seem to be enough traction to pull a 35mm panoptic back
      toward the telescope, specifically when the scope is in a vertical
      position. Also, there is eyepiece "creep" when a heavy one is in a
      near vertical position. I've tighten the tension down to the point
      where I stripped the hole and had to have it repaired.

      Any solutions?

      Thanks

      Dan Black
    • Patrick Lau
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
        I own a Megrez 102 and do not find such problem. I attach a DV
        camcorder (~1 kg)to this scope in order to record lunar occultations
        and I can still adjust the focus, even though the lock screw is
        tightened a bit (But not dead tight). Sometimes I even add the
        diagonal in the optical path, making the whole thing quite heavy at
        the eyepiece end.

        There are 3 allen screws next to the lock screws. They *might* be
        used for pre-setting the tension. (No experience on that)

        Hope this helps.
        Patrick Lau

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "dtblackie1" <dtblackie@a...>
        wrote:
        > Question, are others with this scope having problems with heavier
        > eyepieces? Naglers for example.
        >
        > There doesn't seem to be enough traction to pull a 35mm panoptic
        back
        > toward the telescope, specifically when the scope is in a vertical
        > position. Also, there is eyepiece "creep" when a heavy one is in a
        > near vertical position. I've tighten the tension down to the point
        > where I stripped the hole and had to have it repaired.
        >
        > Any solutions?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Dan Black
      • James Stephens
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
          I had a similar problem with my Megrez 80, and I'm sure the solution is the
          same: There is a friction adjustment.
          There is a recessed, hex-head set screw on the underside of the focuser
          between the focus knobs (it's a little hard to see unless you deliberately
          look for it). Tighten this slowly to get the desired friction.

          James Stephens, PhD
          14220 Park Row 436
          Houston TX 77084
          281-920-4580 (home)

          >--- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "dtblackie1" <dtblackie@a...>
          >wrote:
          > > Question, are others with this scope having problems with heavier
          > > eyepieces? Naglers for example.
          > >
          > > There doesn't seem to be enough traction to pull a 35mm panoptic
          >back
          > > toward the telescope, specifically when the scope is in a vertical
          > > position. Also, there is eyepiece "creep" when a heavy one is in a
          > > near vertical position. I've tighten the tension down to the point
          > > where I stripped the hole and had to have it repaired.
          > >
          > > Any solutions?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Dan Black

        • Pedro Pereira
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
            Put the megrez with the objective direction downwards.
            You will notice that the three chrom hex-screw make a triangle.
            The top screw is the adjustment screw. Rotate until you get the friction you
            want.
            That should do it.

            Pedro Pereira.
            > I had a similar problem with my Megrez 80, and I'm sure the solution is
            the
            > same: There is a friction adjustment.
            > There is a recessed, hex-head set screw on the underside of the focuser
            > between the focus knobs (it's a little hard to see unless you deliberately
            > look for it). Tighten this slowly to get the desired friction.
            >
            > James Stephens, PhD
            > 14220 Park Row 436
            > Houston TX 77084
            > 281-920-4580 (home)
            >

            > >--- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "dtblackie1" <dtblackie@a...>
            > >wrote:
            > > > Question, are others with this scope having problems with heavier
            > > > eyepieces? Naglers for example.
            > > >
            > > > There doesn't seem to be enough traction to pull a 35mm panoptic
            > >back
            > > > toward the telescope, specifically when the scope is in a vertical
            > > > position. Also, there is eyepiece "creep" when a heavy one is in a
            > > > near vertical position. I've tighten the tension down to the point
            > > > where I stripped the hole and had to have it repaired.
            > > >
            > > > Any solutions?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > >
            > > > Dan Black

          • Pedro Pereira
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
              my message corrected from bugs.
              Put the megrez with the objective direction downwards.
              Now look at the bottom of the focuser.
              You will notice that there is three little chrom hex-screws that make kind
              of a triangle.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/