Re: [William Optics] Western Veil with ZS66SD

  • Ciobotas
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
      Very, very nice John, especially excellent processing. Not to get too
      OT, but how do you like Nebulosity? Do you use it with your XTi as
      well?

      Keep up the great work.

      Daniel

      On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 8:33 PM, John Wall III <john_donna@...> wrote:
      > Hello Group,
      >
      > I'm just getting into CCD Imaging again with a better camera, a DSI Pro
      > II with a Deep Space Cooler. Here's my second LRGB Image. Hope you
      > like it.
      >
      > http://www.pbase.com/lightstuff/image/101169661
      >
      > JVWIII

    • John Wall III
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
        Daniel,

        Thanks. I'm really used to Images Plus for capture with the XTi. I
        know where everything is, and it's super fast. Before that I used
        DSLR Focus, and it was pretty slow.

        I bought Nebulosity as an alternative to Envisage. Only 6 images
        into it (two complete LRGBs), I think it is easy to use, frame and
        focus are the best, tools are also powerful. DDP will clip and Hot
        Pixel Map takes some pratice, but sofar, it's the best! With the
        DEEP Space Cooler I'm able to use all the frames, so that helps.
        When I start taking Flats, I think I'll have to go back to Enviage
        for Pixel Capacity readings, and sub second control.

        At least now I know how to go past 1 min. subs in my light polluted
        back yard!

        And, the WO66 is a great little scope.

        Thanks Again,
        John

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Ciobotas <ciobota@...> wrote:

        > Very, very nice John, especially excellent processing. Not to get
        too
        > OT, but how do you like Nebulosity? Do you use it with your XTi as
        > well?
        >
        > Keep up the great work.
        >
        > Daniel
        >

        > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 8:33 PM, John Wall III <john_donna@...>
        wrote:
        > > Hello Group,
        > >
        > > I'm just getting into CCD Imaging again with a better camera, a
        DSI Pro
        > > II with a Deep Space Cooler. Here's my second LRGB Image. Hope you
        > > like it.
        > >
        > > http://www.pbase.com/lightstuff/image/101169661
        > >
        > > JVWIII

      • Ciobotas
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2008
          That was without flats? Now I'm doubly impressed.

          Ahh, ImagesPlus, I could never get my head around that one. I may do
          the Nebulosity trial though, hopefully Craig has the 40D sussed out.
          Btw, if you get a chance to upgrade to a Canon with liveview, I highly
          recommend it. Takes me about 10sec to fine focus on a bright star,
          and works especially well with camera lenses (electronic fine focus).

          Btw, how do you do sub second control in Envisage? Are you talking
          about the guider or the imager?

          Daniel

          On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 7:04 PM, John Wall III <john_donna@...> wrote:
          > Daniel,
          >
          > Thanks. I'm really used to Images Plus for capture with the XTi. I
          > know where everything is, and it's super fast. Before that I used
          > DSLR Focus, and it was pretty slow.
          >
          > I bought Nebulosity as an alternative to Envisage. Only 6 images
          > into it (two complete LRGBs), I think it is easy to use, frame and
          > focus are the best, tools are also powerful. DDP will clip and Hot
          > Pixel Map takes some pratice, but sofar, it's the best! With the
          > DEEP Space Cooler I'm able to use all the frames, so that helps.
          > When I start taking Flats, I think I'll have to go back to Enviage
          > for Pixel Capacity readings, and sub second control.
          >
          > At least now I know how to go past 1 min. subs in my light polluted
          > back yard!
          >
          > And, the WO66 is a great little scope.
          >
          > Thanks Again,
          > John
          >
          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Ciobotas <ciobota@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Very, very nice John, especially excellent processing. Not to get
          > too
          >> OT, but how do you like Nebulosity? Do you use it with your XTi as
          >> well?
          >>
          >> Keep up the great work.
          >>
          >> Daniel
          >>

          >> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 8:33 PM, John Wall III <john_donna@...>
          > wrote:
          >> > Hello Group,
          >> >
          >> > I'm just getting into CCD Imaging again with a better camera, a
          > DSI Pro
          >> > II with a Deep Space Cooler. Here's my second LRGB Image. Hope you
          >> > like it.
          >> >
          >> > http://www.pbase.com/lightstuff/image/101169661
          >> >
          >> > JVWIII

        • John Wall III
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2008
            Daniel,

            OPT has a cookbook that shows IP basic operation. IP does a good job
            stacking and processing but I have to read how to every time, so I
            know what you mean! I've never gotten used to that part of it either.

            Nice cameras, but I haven't got my money out of the XTi yet.

            I think Nebulosity has Digic II for an option with Canon. It's Vista
            compatible, so I think he keeps it up to date very well.

            I'm talking about the Imager. Nebulosity has 1-sec or 0-sec options
            and Envisage can go into decimals. You can type in a decimal number
            but it reverts back to 0 or 1. I tried it with sky flats and it
            didn't work. I'm getting a new Lightbox from Astro Handy. He has a
            new design for DSLR and CCD light intensitys in one. The new design
            is also round. It should be here this week I hope.

            Clear Skies,

          • Ciobotas
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 8, 2008
              I John, now I see what you mean about the decimals for taking flats.
              Have you tried just putting an semi-opaque white sheet over the scope
              and taking a flat that way? Might help if the lightbox is too bright.
              As long as you diffuse the light well enough you should be ok, even a
              white t-shirt would do the trick.

              Tbh, the way I take my flats is in the daytime, just pointing at the
              sky (with everything set up as when I image). I use a white sheet of
              typing paper over the objective and point into a relatively clear (or
              evenly overcast, lol) section of sky. You can even do this at night,
              but in my case the light pollution would affect the flat... actually,
              if you image through a relatively short timespan, taking flats against
              the night sky (same section of sky) would correct some of the lp as
              well. Something to experiment with I guess.

              Clear skies,

              Daniel

            • John Wall III
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8, 2008
                Daniel,

                Thanks for the tips. They must work because you have a very nice
                gallery. I think all taken under severe conditions. Your very good
                at bringing out the true picture.

                I've been just setting the time at 1/60th and take a series in the
                morning and using the grays for my DSLR. I've been studying Matt
                Taylors Videos and others lately for taking flats with a CCD Camera.
                They're using the ADU measurement, some say 20000 and some say
                32000. I don't know, everybody does it different. Anyway, the value
                of subtraction is starting to bleed through a little and making sense
                finally.

                My new Lightbox just came in, here's some pix.

                http://www.pbase.com/lightstuff/telescopes_and_stuff&page=4

                I have a lot of Williams Optics Accessories too, couldn't do it
                without them!

              • Ciobotas
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 9, 2008
                  Lol John, you give me too much credit I think. I look at my pics
                  nowadays and see a lot more flaws in them than I did back then.
                  Taking ccd flats is indeed a different kettle of fish than with
                  dslr's... not sure why, but the few times I did use dedicated cams to
                  image, flats were a bit more work to do right.

                  Btw, that light box looks very nice, is the aperture adjustable or is
                  it made to fit?

                  Clear skies,

                  Daniel
                • John Wall III
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 9, 2008
                    Daniel,

                    I particularly like your work because it's done in a light polluted
                    area. I live close to Houston, Texas and there's a huge light dome
                    that fills the sky. Truth is I was getting discouraged until I started
                    copying your technique. Every year the level of complexity gets
                    higher. I've done a few 10min subs and some come out OK, but others
                    not. As in the past I've found that the barrier is more in my mind
                    than anything else. Perhaps this is the reason I keep coming back for
                    more. Anyway, I really mean it, Thanks!

                    The Light box is not adjustable, unfortunatly. I'm planning to make
                    adapters for my William Optics Scopes.