Re: WO Megrez 110 vs 90

  • Eddy
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Plasko" <tom.plasko@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide which William Optics refractor to
      purchase
      > as a second scope to a C9.25" SCT, I'll be using it for observing,
      > astrophotography and autoguiding. I'm hoping that some of you have had
      > firsthand experience with either or both the Megrez 110 ED APO f5.95
      and the
      > Megrez 90 APO f6.9.
      >

      > The 110 has the better focal ratio but I believe the 90 has the better
      > glass, the focal length is only 34mm more for the 110. I'm also
      thinking
      > about the size and weight as a second scope, any advice is greatly
      > appreciated. Should I consider a third smaller and cheaper scope
      dedicated
      > for autoguiding, maybe the ZS66 or ZS70.
      >

      > Also any opinions on the FLT 98 Triplet APO f6.3, it's a little more
      that I
      > was planning on spending but if the consensus is that is far
      superior I may
      > wait a little longer and go with instead.
      >

      > Thanks
      >

      > Tom

      Hi Tom,

      I don't have any experience with any of the scopes you are referring
      to. For photography, I would definitely go for the FLT 98 (you'll get
      better color correction with a triplet).

      But you forgot one important thing to mention: what mount will you be
      using???

      Cheers
    • THOMAS PLASKO
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 4, 2008
        Hi Eddy, I'm leaning towards the CGE since the total weight of the C9.25", second WO scope, DSLR, autoguider, side by side mounting plate, etc will be well above the capabilities of the CG5.

        > Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide which William Optics refractor to
        purchase
        > as a second scope to a C9.25" SCT, I'll be using it for observing,
        > astrophotography and autoguiding. I'm hoping that some of you have had
        > firsthand experience with either or both the Megrez 110 ED APO f5.95
        and the
        > Megrez 90 APO f6.9.
        >

        > The 110 has the better focal ratio but I believe the 90 has the better
        > glass, the focal length is only 34mm more for the 110. I'm also
        thinking
        > about the size and weight as a second scope, any advice is greatly
        > appreciated. Should I consider a third smaller and cheaper scope
        dedicated
        > for autoguiding,
        maybe the ZS66 or ZS70.

        > Also any opinions on the FLT 98 Triplet APO f6.3, it's a little more
        that I
        > was planning on spending but if the consensus is that is far
        superior I may
        > wait a little longer and go with instead.
        >

        > Thanks
        >

        > Tom

        Hi Tom,

        I don't have any experience with any of the scopes you are referring
        to. For photography, I would definitely go for the FLT 98 (you'll get
        better color correction with a triplet).

        But you forgot one important thing to mention: what mount will you be
        using???

        Cheers

      • clivegibbonsca
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 5, 2008
          Hi Tom.
          I own a Megrez 110ED and use it almost exclusively for visual
          observing (mainly lunar, planets and double stars-- high
          magnification).
          Visually, the Megrez 110 works optimally when used with a prism-type
          star diagonal. Even inexpensive 1.25" prism units from Celestron,
          Meade, Orion, etc. deliver better color correction at high mags.,
          than a mirror diagonal.
          Prism diagonals of the "correct image" type, which use an Amici
          prism, aren't ideal for astro observing, so stick with a traditional
          right-angle prism.
          WRT the focal length difference between the Megrez 90 and 110,
          there's some confusion re. the actual focal length of the Megrez 90.
          It's listed as f/6.9, 621mm, but users who have measured the focal
          length (incl. Sky and Telescope in their testing) have found it to
          be shorter. In the neighborhood of 570mm.

          The Megrez 110ED has been discontinued, so is only available from
          dealer's existing stock. As such, you'll have an increasingly hard
          time finding a new one.

          Hope this helps!

          wrote:

          > Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide which William Optics refractor
          to purchase
          > as a second scope to a C9.25" SCT, I'll be using it for observing,
          > astrophotography and autoguiding. I'm hoping that some of you
          have had
          > firsthand experience with either or both the Megrez 110 ED APO
          f5.95 and the
          > Megrez 90 APO f6.9.
          >

          > The 110 has the better focal ratio but I believe the 90 has the
          better
          > glass, the focal length is only 34mm more for the 110. I'm also
          thinking
          > about the size and weight as a second scope, any advice is greatly
          > appreciated. Should I consider a third smaller and cheaper scope
          dedicated
          > for autoguiding, maybe the ZS66 or ZS70.
          >

          > Also any opinions on the FLT 98 Triplet APO f6.3, it's a little
          more that I
          > was planning on spending but if the consensus is that is far
          superior I may
          > wait a little longer and go with instead.
          >

          > Thanks
          >

          > Tom

        • Ciobotas
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
            To throw my depreciated $.02 in the pot...

            I've owned both, first the 90, then upgraded to the 110. I was told
            by the folks at WO that the 90 had better color correction and was a
            better choice for photography, and after using the 110 for a few
            months, I totally agree.

            Yes, the 110 is faster, but the color correction is not as good,
            especially at that shorter f ratio. Didn't do well on on planets
            (Mars especially), so I can't recommend it for planetary. Lunar is
            doable, but best use something like a green filter to eliminate color
            issues.

            One issue I had with mine (the 110) was visible obstruction shadows
            (from the collimation cell screws) on brighter stars. Several posts
            on here remarked that it was probably pinching and can be fixed by the
            end user. I never tried. Everything else is equal between the two
            scopes. The 110 is bulkier, but not significantly heavier.

            I had each of them mounted on a CGE mount on top of a C11 using
            rails. That combo did show some flex problems, mostly because of the
            thin wall of the C11 tube. Best bet is to use rings and mount the
            rail on the rings. Other than that, there were no issues with the
            mount handling the weight. I used the C11 to guide the refractors and
            vice versa. When using the C11 as a guide scope, make sure you don't
            experience mirror flop... lock down the mirror and lock it well.

            Reducers. The WO MkIII reducer worked well on both scopes. Not
            perfect, but well enough to give about 80-85% of a 1.6 crop dslr field
            without major distortion. That really helps when you stack the
            frames. The rest you can crop or correct.

            I have to admit though, of the two, I miss the 90 the most. Awesome
            scope for the money.

            The 98 triplet looks very interesting, although I have no experience
            with triplets whatsoever.

            Hope this helps,

            Daniel
          • clivegibbonsca
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2008
              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Ciobotas <ciobota@...> wrote:

              > To throw my depreciated $.02 in the pot...
              >
              > I've owned both, first the 90, then upgraded to the 110. I was
              told
              > by the folks at WO that the 90 had better color correction and was
              > better choice for photography, and after using the 110 for a few
              > months, I totally agree.
              >
              > Yes, the 110 is faster, but the color correction is not as good,
              > especially at that shorter f ratio. Didn't do well on on planets
              > (Mars especially), so I can't recommend it for planetary. Lunar is
              > doable, but best use something like a green filter to eliminate
              color
              > issues.
              >

              > Daniel

              Hi Daniel.
              Did you try the Megrez 110ED with a prism-type diagonal?
              It's made a substantial improvement to my scope.
              Red focus is noticeably better than when using a mirror diagonal.
            • Ciobotas
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 9, 2008
                Hi Clive,

                I do have the WO prism diagonal, but never thought about using it for
                high mag views. I always thought the prism would distort the view even
                more and not give me sharp images... Hmmm, interesting suggestion
                though, it would be worth trying I think. Alas, I don't have either
                of the scopes anymore, so I can't verify.

                Daniel

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 11, 2008
                  Hi Daniel.
                  Re. "prism-type diagonal" the recommended ones for celestial viewing
                  are the right-angle variety, not the "correct image" diagonals which
                  are often suggested for daytime observing.
                  The latter type have an Amici-type roof prism which typically
                  degrade the image at high magnifications.

                  So, if you're interested in trying a prism diagonal for astronomical
                  use, just look for a 1.25" right-angle model.
                  They can be had for $30 to $45.
                  Unfortunately, WO doesn't offer them.

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Ciobotas <ciobota@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Clive,
                  >
                  > I do have the WO prism diagonal, but never thought about using it
                  for
                  > high mag views. I always thought the prism would distort the view
                  even
                  > more and not give me sharp images... Hmmm, interesting suggestion
                  > though, it would be worth trying I think. Alas, I don't have
                  either
                  > of the scopes anymore, so I can't verify.
                  >
                  > Daniel
                  >

                  > On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:28 PM, clivegibbonsca <gibbonsc@...>
                  wrote:
                  > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Ciobotas <ciobota@> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> To throw my depreciated $.02 in the pot...
                  > >>
                  > >> I've owned both, first the 90, then upgraded to the 110. I was
                  > > told
                  > >> by the folks at WO that the 90 had better color correction and
                  was
                  > >> better choice for photography, and after using the 110 for a few
                  > >> months, I totally agree.
                  > >>
                  > >> Yes, the 110 is faster, but the color correction is not as good,
                  > >> especially at that shorter f ratio. Didn't do well on on planets
                  > >> (Mars especially), so I can't recommend it for planetary. Lunar
                  is
                  > >> doable, but best use something like a green filter to eliminate
                  > > color
                  > >> issues.
                  > >>

                  > >> Daniel
                  > >>

                  > > Hi Daniel.
                  > > Did you try the Megrez 110ED with a prism-type diagonal?
                  > > It's made a substantial improvement to my scope.
                  > > Red focus is noticeably better than when using a mirror diagonal.

                • hpholcomb
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 11, 2008
                    I've been looking for a used-but-good, inexpensive 90-deg. prism diag that Clive
                    recommends for the M110ED.

                    In my searching, I've repeatedly run across the term "star diagonal" with no other
                    identifying designation, which can be tricky. As I've learned from owners, those can be
                    either prism or mirror.

                    I've learned to ask!!!

                    Perry

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "clivegibbonsca" <gibbonsc@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Daniel.
                    > Re. "prism-type diagonal" the recommended ones for celestial viewing
                    > are the right-angle variety, not the "correct image" diagonals which
                    > are often suggested for daytime observing.
                    > The latter type have an Amici-type roof prism which typically
                    > degrade the image at high magnifications.
                    >
                    > So, if you're interested in trying a prism diagonal for astronomical
                    > use, just look for a 1.25" right-angle model.
                    > They can be had for $30 to $45.
                    > Unfortunately, WO doesn't offer them.
                    >
                    > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Ciobotas <ciobota@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Clive,
                    > >
                    > > I do have the WO prism diagonal, but never thought about using it
                    > for
                    > > high mag views. I always thought the prism would distort the view
                    > even
                    > > more and not give me sharp images... Hmmm, interesting suggestion
                    > > though, it would be worth trying I think. Alas, I don't have
                    > either
                    > > of the scopes anymore, so I can't verify.
                    > >
                    > > Daniel
                    > >

                    > > On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:28 PM, clivegibbonsca <gibbonsc@>
                    > wrote:

                    > > > told
                    > was

                    > is
                    > > > color

                    > > > Hi Daniel.
                    > > > Did you try the Megrez 110ED with a prism-type diagonal?
                    > > > It's made a substantial improvement to my scope.
                    > > > Red focus is noticeably better than when using a mirror diagonal.

                  • williamopticsusa
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 12, 2008
                      Hi Perry,

                      Here is the link to all the Erecting prism.

                      http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_35

                      Hope this help,

                      WO

                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "hpholcomb" <hpholcomb@...> wrote:

                      > I've been looking for a used-but-good, inexpensive 90-deg. prism
                      diag that Clive
                      > recommends for the M110ED.
                      >
                      > In my searching, I've repeatedly run across the term "star diagonal"
                      with no other
                      > identifying designation, which can be tricky. As I've learned from
                      owners, those can be
                      > either prism or mirror.
                      >
                      > I've learned to ask!!!
                      >
                      > Perry
                      >

                      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "clivegibbonsca" <gibbonsc@>
                      wrote:

                      > > Hi Daniel.
                      > > Re. "prism-type diagonal" the recommended ones for celestial viewing
                      > > are the right-angle variety, not the "correct image" diagonals which
                      > > are often suggested for daytime observing.
                      > > The latter type have an Amici-type roof prism which typically
                      > > degrade the image at high magnifications.
                      > >
                      > > So, if you're interested in trying a prism diagonal for astronomical
                      > > use, just look for a 1.25" right-angle model.
                      > > They can be had for $30 to $45.
                      > > Unfortunately, WO doesn't offer them.
                      > >
                      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Ciobotas <ciobota@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi Clive,
                      > > >
                      > > > I do have the WO prism diagonal, but never thought about using it
                      > > for
                      > > > high mag views. I always thought the prism would distort the view
                      > > even
                      > > > more and not give me sharp images... Hmmm, interesting suggestion
                      > > > though, it would be worth trying I think. Alas, I don't have
                      > > either
                      > > > of the scopes anymore, so I can't verify.
                      > > >
                      > > > Daniel

                      > > was

                      > > is

                    • Tom Plasko
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 12, 2008
                        Hi WO, is there any info that you can share about the new 90mm Megrez that is about to be released?

                        Tom Plasko

                        From: "williamopticsusa" <bruinsdkny@...>
                        Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:48:05 -0000
                        To: <William-Optics@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 12, 2008
                          Hi Tom,

                          HQ indicated it has the same good FD optics and took off the L-
                          bracket for easier mounting rings access. New production is believed
                          to be release by end of this month.

                          Thank you for everyone's patience.

                          WO

                          wrote:

                          > Hi WO, is there any info that you can share about the new 90mm
                          Megrez that is about to be released?

                          > Tom Plasko

                        • hpholcomb
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 12, 2008
                            Appreciate your reply, WO.

                            The type prism diagonal that Clive recommends for the M110ED for astronomical
                            purposes is one that gives the image as right side up but has left-right reversed.

                            He also recommends using the 90-deg. prism diag, not the 45-deg.

                            Only one of the 4 prism diags you recommend is 90-deg. I'm not sure if it gives the left-
                            right reversed because I can't find that information on the WO website.

                            Clive mentioned that WO doesn't offer this type of diag, so I've already ordered the
                            Celestron 94115A, prism-type.

                            Thanks for your interest.

                            Perry

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 12, 2008
                              Yes, it's left right corrected, that's what erecting prism do.

                            • clivegibbonsca
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 13, 2008
                                wrote:

                                > Appreciate your reply, WO.
                                >
                                > The type prism diagonal that Clive recommends for the M110ED for
                                astronomical
                                > purposes is one that gives the image as right side up but has left-
                                right reversed.

                                > He also recommends using the 90-deg. prism diag, not the 45-deg.
                                >
                                > Only one of the 4 prism diags you recommend is 90-deg. I'm not
                                sure if it gives the left-
                                > right reversed because I can't find that information on the WO
                                website.

                                > Clive mentioned that WO doesn't offer this type of diag, so I've
                                already ordered the
                                > Celestron 94115A, prism-type.
                                >
                                > Thanks for your interest.
                                >
                                > Perry

                                Hi Perry.
                                That should work fine for you.
                              • clivegibbonsca
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 13, 2008
                                  Dear WO;

                                  Just a suggestion... please offer a right-angle prism star diagonal.
                                  The "correct image" type aren't ideal for astro use.

                                  Prism-type star diagonals do seem to improve the performance of many
                                  ED refractors (incl. the Megrez 110ED).

                                  Thanks!