My pictures from this weekend.

  • bakersfieldbiker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
      Hi all!
      Well, this weekend I got some good skies and a chance to try Binning
      for the first time. Took two shots, M20 and M8 and got a chance to
      process the data.
      Here are the two images in full res and size, please be sure to click
      on the picture to see the full res and size.

      William Optics Megrez 80mm APO Triplet f/6
      Meade DSI III Pro with Televue .8 Focal Reducer
      Astronomiks Filters
      Losmandy G-11 Gemini
      Autoguided

      M8
      http://www.astrophotogallery.org/showphoto.php/photo/698
      M8 in RGBL
      All Color Subs Binned 2x2
      R = 6min x 8
      G = 6min x 8
      B = 6min x 8
      L = 8min x 13 (Not Binned )

      M20
      http://www.astrophotogallery.org/showphoto.php/photo/697
      M20 in RGBL
      All Color Subs Binned 2x2
      R = 6min x 8
      G = 6min x 8
      B = 6min x 8
      L = 8min x 16 (Not Binned )

      Hope you like them, they are my entry into binning of the color subs.
    • Roy Cummings
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008

        Nice shots Floyd. Did you do these from home or the park?

        Roy

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
          Thanks Roy,
          These were taken at the Los Angeles Astronomical Society site, in
          Lockwood Valley, California.
          Floyd
          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Cummings"
          <tr_cummings@...> wrote:

          > Nice shots Floyd. Did you do these from home or the park?
          >

          > Roy

        • Kurt Friedrich
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008

            can you give us a 4 sentence translation?  I assume instead of getting a color reading for every pixel, you "add" the values of 2x2 squares, which gives you more color signal?  Does that mean your picture resolution is only 1/4 of what it would have been?  Or is the vale of evey pixel calulated based on its neighbors?

            thanks

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
              Hi,
              Binning 2x2 is a method used where 4 pixels are used to make one
              pixel, which results in getting 4x more data in the same amount of
              time. This is due to the 4 pixels making it more sensitive. This does
              cut the size of the sub by 1/2 as far as pixel dimension is concerned.
              Then when you stack with AIP4WIN ver 2, you have the option of
              oversampling 2x which then returns the size of the sub to its normal
              dimension pixel wise. This allows you to then combine the unbinned
              luminance without making the luminance 1/2 its normal size, to match
              the binned frames, which is the way it is usually done. This method
              seems to not cause any real loss of resolution when combining subs at
              full size. These two shots were done with this method.
              Some cameras support binning and some do not. The DSI III supports 2z2
              binning and some cameras even support 4x4 binning, which would combine
              16 pixels into one pixel and of course this would reduce the size of
              the sub substantially.
              So, is simple terms, one hour of exposure using 2x2 binning equals 4
              hours of unbinned exposure. Making it possible to take an RBGL image
              in less time.
              Floyd
              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Friedrich