Re: ZenithStar 110 f/7

  • Stewart Tansley
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 3, 2008
      Yes, a heavy imager is not going to work well on this scope.

      I've owned a ZS110 for a similar period and agree with Seok's comments -
      - the focuser is weak and detracts from the scope's overall quality. WO
      have stressed that the ZS was designed primarily for visual use, not
      imaging.

      The focuser is apparently upgradeable though. WO have said they are
      considering options for this, but nothing has materialized yet AFAIK.
      There are good (though pricey) third party alternatives such as
      Starlight's Feather Touch and MoonLite. I plan to get a MoonLite this
      summer.

      Stewart.

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "n_mukkavilli"
      <n_mukkavilli@...> wrote:
      > I was planning to use a QHY 8 which is quite heavy..based on your
      > experience maybe I should be looking at some other telescope
    • mirfak30
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hellow Stewart,

        Would an adapter be necessary to replace the focuser with a Moonlite?

        Actually I have so much regrets for the buying of ZS-110 due to the
        focuser, though I like the optical quality. The focuser of my ZS-110
        is not strong enough even for visual use; I am a pure visual. In the
        beginning it was silky smooth and looked quite strong but about 1
        year later the focuser suddenly slipped out during observation so I
        sent it to the head office of WO in Taiwan for repairing. Now it
        works ugly and more over 1:10 micro knob works as it has its own will
        for the movement even after getting repaired by WO dealer again.

        So I am also considering to replace it with better one.
        Too much money for the scope...

        Seok

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Stewart Tansley" <dswt@...>

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
          Having the same question, I wrote to Moonlite last month and Ron Newman
          there responded as follows:

          > We make 3 different threaded flanges for the WO110 refractors. The
          one that fits the WO Zenithstar is the same as the WO Megrez. Please
          pick the WO 110 Megrez when selecting the flange. Don't pick the FLT
          versions.
          http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
          page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@...> wrote:
          > Would an adapter be necessary to replace the focuser with a Moonlite?
        • suncruzr
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
            wrote:

            > Having the same question, I wrote to Moonlite last month and Ron
            Newman
            > there responded as follows:
            >
            > > We make 3 different threaded flanges for the WO110 refractors. The
            > one that fits the WO Zenithstar is the same as the WO Megrez. Please
            > pick the WO 110 Megrez when selecting the flange. Don't pick the FLT
            > versions.
            > http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
            > page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL
            >
            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@> wrote:
            > > Would an adapter be necessary to replace the focuser with a
            Moonlite?

            How about the ZS 105 ? Mine has problems carring a Canon 30d with all
            the goodies.
          • mirfak30
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
              Thanks a lot, Stewart.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
                http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CF

                Check it above.

                > How about the ZS 105 ? Mine has problems carring a Canon 30d with all
                > the goodies.

              • n_mukkavilli
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 7, 2008
                  The focuser quality must be quite variable..a fellow at my astronomy
                  club has been imaging with a ZS 105 using his QHY 8-which I would
                  suspect would be heavier than a Canon 30D
                  Narayan
                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@...> wrote:

                  > http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                  > page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CF
                  >
                  > Check it above.
                  >

                  > > How about the ZS 105 ? Mine has problems carring a Canon 30d with all
                  > > the goodies.

                • Sander Pool
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 7, 2008

                    I recommend you ask to hold the camera next time you're out. It's very
                    light :-) I don't have a DSLR but there's no way it's lighter than a
                    10cm squared little aluminum box.

                    Sander

                    n_mukkavilli wrote:

                    > The focuser quality must be quite variable..a fellow at my astronomy
                    > club has been imaging with a ZS 105 using his QHY 8-which I would
                    > suspect would be heavier than a Canon 30D
                    > Narayan

                  • mch3898
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 8, 2008
                      wrote:

                      > Thanks a lot, Stewart.
                      >
                      > Seok
                      >

                      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Stewart Tansley" <dswt@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Having the same question, I wrote to Moonlite last month and Ron
                      > Newman
                      > > there responded as follows:
                      > >
                      > > > We make 3 different threaded flanges for the WO110 refractors.
                      The
                      > > one that fits the WO Zenithstar is the same as the WO Megrez.
                      Please
                      > > pick the WO 110 Megrez when selecting the flange. Don't pick the
                      FLT
                      > > versions.
                      > > http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                      > > page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL
                      > >
                      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@>
                      wrote:
                      > > > Would an adapter be necessary to replace the focuser with a
                      > Moonlite?

                      Hi,

                      I don't know if this forms part of this thread. If not, my apologies.

                      My problem is that the rotating focuser on my new Megrez 90FD cannot
                      be locked despite tightening the silver-colored knob at the focuser.
                      With my Canon 400D mounted, the focuser turns (due to the weight of
                      the camera) whenever the scope slews. WO advised to tighten the
                      three set screws set at 120 deg round the focuser. I tried this but
                      this has no effect at all. (What are these screws for?)

                      Will appreciate any help. If I replace with the Moonlite focuser,
                      will I solve the problem, even though it is an expensive solution.

                      Thanks all,

                      Christopher
                    • n_mukkavilli
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 8, 2008
                        Hi
                        Actually Sander, I have both a Canon 300D and a QHY8-the QHY 8 is
                        heavier-even more so by the time you add an extension tube and a
                        focal reducer

                        I don't have a 30D so I cant speak for that model
                        cheers

                        narayan

                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I recommend you ask to hold the camera next time you're out. It's very
                        > light :-) I don't have a DSLR but there's no way it's lighter than a
                        > 10cm squared little aluminum box.
                        >
                        > Sander
                        >
                        > n_mukkavilli wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The focuser quality must be quite variable..a fellow at my astronomy
                        > > club has been imaging with a ZS 105 using his QHY 8-which I would
                        > > suspect would be heavier than a Canon 30D
                        > > Narayan

                      • mirfak30
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 8, 2008
                          The 3 screws round the focuser near to the tube body are for
                          adjusting of the focuser rotation. When it tightened fully the
                          focuser does not turn as like tightening the silver screw knob on
                          the focuser. If it does not work the focuser should be taken care of
                          by a dealer or WO, I think.

                          Seok

                          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mch3898" <mch3898@...> wrote:

                          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks a lot, Stewart.
                          > >
                          > > Seok
                          > >

                          > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Stewart Tansley" <dswt@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Having the same question, I wrote to Moonlite last month and
                          Ron
                          > > Newman
                          > > > there responded as follows:

                          > The
                          > > > one that fits the WO Zenithstar is the same as the WO Megrez.
                          > Please
                          > > > pick the WO 110 Megrez when selecting the flange. Don't pick
                          the
                          > FLT
                          > > > versions.
                          > > > http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                          > > > page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@>
                          > > Moonlite?
                          > > >

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > I don't know if this forms part of this thread. If not, my
                          apologies.

                          > My problem is that the rotating focuser on my new Megrez 90FD
                          cannot
                          > be locked despite tightening the silver-colored knob at the
                          focuser.
                          > With my Canon 400D mounted, the focuser turns (due to the weight
                          of
                          > the camera) whenever the scope slews. WO advised to tighten the
                          > three set screws set at 120 deg round the focuser. I tried this
                          but
                          > this has no effect at all. (What are these screws for?)
                          >
                          > Will appreciate any help. If I replace with the Moonlite focuser,
                          > will I solve the problem, even though it is an expensive solution.
                          >
                          > Thanks all,
                          >
                          > Christopher

                        • Sander Pool
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 9, 2008
                            Haha, that's good. Since when is a focal reducer part of a camera? You
                            need an FR with the 300D like you do with the QHY-8. When comparing
                            camera weights you compare camera weights. Don't start adding arbitrary
                            accessories. Maybe the t-ring extensions to get the same spacing but
                            that's it.

                            Sander

                            n_mukkavilli wrote:

                            > Hi
                            > Actually Sander, I have both a Canon 300D and a QHY8-the QHY 8 is
                            > heavier-even more so by the time you add an extension tube and a
                            > focal reducer
                            >
                            > I don't have a 30D so I cant speak for that model
                            > cheers
                            >
                            > narayan

                          • mch3898
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 11, 2008
                              Thanks Seok for the advice. Finally found out the cause of the
                              problem. It seemed that the whole focuser unit is threaded onto the
                              OTA and the unit was not tightened when it was delivered to me.
                              Works fine now. Thanks again.

                              By the way, there are two more set screws on the left and right of
                              the silver screw knob, what are these for? The manual that came with
                              the scope could be more explicit and comprehensive and explain all
                              these screws and connections.

                              Christopher

                              wrote:

                              > The 3 screws round the focuser near to the tube body are for
                              > adjusting of the focuser rotation. When it tightened fully the
                              > focuser does not turn as like tightening the silver screw knob on
                              > the focuser. If it does not work the focuser should be taken care
                              of
                              > by a dealer or WO, I think.
                              >
                              > Seok
                              >

                              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mch3898" <mch3898@> wrote:

                              > > Hi,
                              > >
                              > > I don't know if this forms part of this thread. If not, my
                              > apologies.
                              > >
                              > > My problem is that the rotating focuser on my new Megrez 90FD
                              > cannot
                              > > be locked despite tightening the silver-colored knob at the
                              > focuser.
                              > > With my Canon 400D mounted, the focuser turns (due to the weight
                              > of
                              > > the camera) whenever the scope slews. WO advised to tighten the
                              > > three set screws set at 120 deg round the focuser. I tried this
                              > but
                              > > this has no effect at all. (What are these screws for?)
                              > >
                              > > Will appreciate any help. If I replace with the Moonlite
                              focuser,
                              > > will I solve the problem, even though it is an expensive solution.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks all,
                              > >
                              > > Christopher

                            • Geoff Smith
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 18, 2008
                                Actually, I got some different advice from Ron. He wrote that
                                "We don't show photos of all refractors, but we do make a CFL focuser
                                that
                                fits yours ZS.
                                There are 3 different threaded flanges for the WO 110 size
                                refractors, You
                                want the
                                Early FLT 110 flange. I have a note that it is the one that fits the
                                Zenithstar 110."

                                This is correct advice, because I have fitted one to my ZS110. The
                                Megrez is very similar, but I don't know if it's the same.
                                Geoff
                                wrote:

                                > Having the same question, I wrote to Moonlite last month and Ron
                                Newman
                                > there responded as follows:
                                >
                                > > We make 3 different threaded flanges for the WO110 refractors.
                                The
                                > one that fits the WO Zenithstar is the same as the WO Megrez.
                                Please
                                > pick the WO 110 Megrez when selecting the flange. Don't pick the
                                FLT
                                > versions.
                                > http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                                > page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL
                                >
                                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@> wrote:
                                > > Would an adapter be necessary to replace the focuser with a
                                Moonlite?

                              • Amy Stone
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 19, 2008
                                  I'm interested in upgrading as well but I may wait to bring the scope to NEAF to make sure I get the right flange for my ZS110, which is several years old.