ZenithStar 110 f/7

  • n_mukkavilli
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi every one

      this is my first post in this forum..I am looking to become an owner
      of a ZenithStar 110 f/7, possibly by next Saturday..but just wanted to
      check a couple of questions with this group to make doubly sure before
      I finally pull the trigger...specifically

      -this is an FPL53 air spaced triplet?

      -as I understand it is optically the same as a Fluorostar 110 f/7 ,
      just in a Zenithstar tube-so smaller focuser?

      does anyone know why it is discontinued in the US? it still seems to
      be available here in Australia.

      oh my main interest is in DSO imaging-this will be teamed with my QHY 8

      my current scope is an ED80, so this will be I am hoping a noticeable
      step up

      thanks in advance for any advice

      Narayan
    • mirfak30
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2008
        I have been an owner of ZS-110 for 1.5 years, it has the goods and
        the bads as other scopes.

        1) Its ED part is not an FPL-53 nor similar grade lens, WO just
        mentioned it as an ED; if its grade is FPL-53 they would surely have
        mentioned about it. But the performance of the lens set seems to be
        just a few % behind of Takahashi; in other words it is very good for
        the price.

        2) I think you are talking about FLT-110 for Fluorostar 110. The
        focuser of FLT-110 is better than that of ZS-110, especially for
        photography.

        3) The focuser of ZS-110 is not strong enough for some eyepieces
        like XW. I guess this might be one of the reasons of discontinue. My
        experience is simple; it is a headache-maker.

        Seok

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "n_mukkavilli"
        <n_mukkavilli@...> wrote:

        > Hi every one
        >
        > this is my first post in this forum..I am looking to become an
        owner
        > of a ZenithStar 110 f/7, possibly by next Saturday..but just
        wanted to
        > check a couple of questions with this group to make doubly sure
        before
        > I finally pull the trigger...specifically
        >
        > -this is an FPL53 air spaced triplet?
        >
        > -as I understand it is optically the same as a Fluorostar 110 f/7 ,
        > just in a Zenithstar tube-so smaller focuser?
        >
        > does anyone know why it is discontinued in the US? it still seems
        > be available here in Australia.
        >

        > oh my main interest is in DSO imaging-this will be teamed with my
        QHY 8

        > my current scope is an ED80, so this will be I am hoping a
        noticeable
        > step up
        >

        > thanks in advance for any advice
        >
        > Narayan

      • n_mukkavilli
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 3, 2008
          Thanks Seok for your frank comments

          I was planning to use a QHY 8 which is quite heavy..based on your
          experience maybe I should be looking at some other telescope

          whew, maybe I just avoided an expensive mistake

          Narayan

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@...> wrote:

          > I have been an owner of ZS-110 for 1.5 years, it has the goods and
          > the bads as other scopes.
          >
          > 1) Its ED part is not an FPL-53 nor similar grade lens, WO just
          > mentioned it as an ED; if its grade is FPL-53 they would surely have
          > mentioned about it. But the performance of the lens set seems to be
          > just a few % behind of Takahashi; in other words it is very good for
          > the price.
          >
          > 2) I think you are talking about FLT-110 for Fluorostar 110. The
          > focuser of FLT-110 is better than that of ZS-110, especially for
          > photography.
          >
          > 3) The focuser of ZS-110 is not strong enough for some eyepieces
          > like XW. I guess this might be one of the reasons of discontinue. My
          > experience is simple; it is a headache-maker.
          >

          > Seok
          >
          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "n_mukkavilli"
          > <n_mukkavilli@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi every one
          > >
          > > this is my first post in this forum..I am looking to become an
          > owner
          > > of a ZenithStar 110 f/7, possibly by next Saturday..but just
          > wanted to
          > > check a couple of questions with this group to make doubly sure
          > before
          > > I finally pull the trigger...specifically
          > >
          > > -this is an FPL53 air spaced triplet?
          > >
          > > -as I understand it is optically the same as a Fluorostar 110 f/7 ,
          > > just in a Zenithstar tube-so smaller focuser?
          > >
          > > does anyone know why it is discontinued in the US? it still seems
          > > be available here in Australia.
          > >

          > > oh my main interest is in DSO imaging-this will be teamed with my
          > QHY 8
          > >
          > > my current scope is an ED80, so this will be I am hoping a
          > noticeable
          > > step up
          > >

          > > thanks in advance for any advice
          > >
          > > Narayan

        • Stewart Tansley
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 3, 2008
            Yes, a heavy imager is not going to work well on this scope.

            I've owned a ZS110 for a similar period and agree with Seok's comments -
            - the focuser is weak and detracts from the scope's overall quality. WO
            have stressed that the ZS was designed primarily for visual use, not
            imaging.

            The focuser is apparently upgradeable though. WO have said they are
            considering options for this, but nothing has materialized yet AFAIK.
            There are good (though pricey) third party alternatives such as
            Starlight's Feather Touch and MoonLite. I plan to get a MoonLite this
            summer.

            Stewart.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 3, 2008
              Hellow Stewart,

              Would an adapter be necessary to replace the focuser with a Moonlite?

              Actually I have so much regrets for the buying of ZS-110 due to the
              focuser, though I like the optical quality. The focuser of my ZS-110
              is not strong enough even for visual use; I am a pure visual. In the
              beginning it was silky smooth and looked quite strong but about 1
              year later the focuser suddenly slipped out during observation so I
              sent it to the head office of WO in Taiwan for repairing. Now it
              works ugly and more over 1:10 micro knob works as it has its own will
              for the movement even after getting repaired by WO dealer again.

              So I am also considering to replace it with better one.
              Too much money for the scope...

              Seok

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Stewart Tansley" <dswt@...>

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
                Having the same question, I wrote to Moonlite last month and Ron Newman
                there responded as follows:

                > We make 3 different threaded flanges for the WO110 refractors. The
                one that fits the WO Zenithstar is the same as the WO Megrez. Please
                pick the WO 110 Megrez when selecting the flange. Don't pick the FLT
                versions.
                http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@...> wrote:
                > Would an adapter be necessary to replace the focuser with a Moonlite?
              • suncruzr
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > Having the same question, I wrote to Moonlite last month and Ron
                  Newman
                  > there responded as follows:
                  >
                  > > We make 3 different threaded flanges for the WO110 refractors. The
                  > one that fits the WO Zenithstar is the same as the WO Megrez. Please
                  > pick the WO 110 Megrez when selecting the flange. Don't pick the FLT
                  > versions.
                  > http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                  > page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL
                  >
                  > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@> wrote:
                  > > Would an adapter be necessary to replace the focuser with a
                  Moonlite?

                  How about the ZS 105 ? Mine has problems carring a Canon 30d with all
                  the goodies.
                • mirfak30
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
                    Thanks a lot, Stewart.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
                      http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                      page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CF

                      Check it above.

                      > How about the ZS 105 ? Mine has problems carring a Canon 30d with all
                      > the goodies.

                    • n_mukkavilli
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 7, 2008
                        The focuser quality must be quite variable..a fellow at my astronomy
                        club has been imaging with a ZS 105 using his QHY 8-which I would
                        suspect would be heavier than a Canon 30D
                        Narayan
                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@...> wrote:

                        > http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                        > page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CF
                        >
                        > Check it above.
                        >

                        > > How about the ZS 105 ? Mine has problems carring a Canon 30d with all
                        > > the goodies.

                      • Sander Pool
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 7, 2008

                          I recommend you ask to hold the camera next time you're out. It's very
                          light :-) I don't have a DSLR but there's no way it's lighter than a
                          10cm squared little aluminum box.

                          Sander

                          n_mukkavilli wrote:

                          > The focuser quality must be quite variable..a fellow at my astronomy
                          > club has been imaging with a ZS 105 using his QHY 8-which I would
                          > suspect would be heavier than a Canon 30D
                          > Narayan

                        • mch3898
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 8, 2008
                            wrote:

                            > Thanks a lot, Stewart.
                            >
                            > Seok
                            >

                            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Stewart Tansley" <dswt@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Having the same question, I wrote to Moonlite last month and Ron
                            > Newman
                            > > there responded as follows:
                            > >
                            > > > We make 3 different threaded flanges for the WO110 refractors.
                            The
                            > > one that fits the WO Zenithstar is the same as the WO Megrez.
                            Please
                            > > pick the WO 110 Megrez when selecting the flange. Don't pick the
                            FLT
                            > > versions.
                            > > http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                            > > page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL
                            > >
                            > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@>
                            wrote:
                            > > > Would an adapter be necessary to replace the focuser with a
                            > Moonlite?

                            Hi,

                            I don't know if this forms part of this thread. If not, my apologies.

                            My problem is that the rotating focuser on my new Megrez 90FD cannot
                            be locked despite tightening the silver-colored knob at the focuser.
                            With my Canon 400D mounted, the focuser turns (due to the weight of
                            the camera) whenever the scope slews. WO advised to tighten the
                            three set screws set at 120 deg round the focuser. I tried this but
                            this has no effect at all. (What are these screws for?)

                            Will appreciate any help. If I replace with the Moonlite focuser,
                            will I solve the problem, even though it is an expensive solution.

                            Thanks all,

                            Christopher
                          • n_mukkavilli
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 8, 2008
                              Hi
                              Actually Sander, I have both a Canon 300D and a QHY8-the QHY 8 is
                              heavier-even more so by the time you add an extension tube and a
                              focal reducer

                              I don't have a 30D so I cant speak for that model
                              cheers

                              narayan

                              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > I recommend you ask to hold the camera next time you're out. It's very
                              > light :-) I don't have a DSLR but there's no way it's lighter than a
                              > 10cm squared little aluminum box.
                              >
                              > Sander
                              >
                              > n_mukkavilli wrote:
                              > >
                              > > The focuser quality must be quite variable..a fellow at my astronomy
                              > > club has been imaging with a ZS 105 using his QHY 8-which I would
                              > > suspect would be heavier than a Canon 30D
                              > > Narayan

                            • mirfak30
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 8, 2008
                                The 3 screws round the focuser near to the tube body are for
                                adjusting of the focuser rotation. When it tightened fully the
                                focuser does not turn as like tightening the silver screw knob on
                                the focuser. If it does not work the focuser should be taken care of
                                by a dealer or WO, I think.

                                Seok

                                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mch3898" <mch3898@...> wrote:

                                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Thanks a lot, Stewart.
                                > >
                                > > Seok
                                > >

                                > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Stewart Tansley" <dswt@>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Having the same question, I wrote to Moonlite last month and
                                Ron
                                > > Newman
                                > > > there responded as follows:

                                > The
                                > > > one that fits the WO Zenithstar is the same as the WO Megrez.
                                > Please
                                > > > pick the WO 110 Megrez when selecting the flange. Don't pick
                                the
                                > FLT
                                > > > versions.
                                > > > http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                                > > > page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@>
                                > > Moonlite?
                                > > >

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I don't know if this forms part of this thread. If not, my
                                apologies.

                                > My problem is that the rotating focuser on my new Megrez 90FD
                                cannot
                                > be locked despite tightening the silver-colored knob at the
                                focuser.
                                > With my Canon 400D mounted, the focuser turns (due to the weight
                                of
                                > the camera) whenever the scope slews. WO advised to tighten the
                                > three set screws set at 120 deg round the focuser. I tried this
                                but
                                > this has no effect at all. (What are these screws for?)
                                >
                                > Will appreciate any help. If I replace with the Moonlite focuser,
                                > will I solve the problem, even though it is an expensive solution.
                                >
                                > Thanks all,
                                >
                                > Christopher

                              • Sander Pool
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 9, 2008
                                  Haha, that's good. Since when is a focal reducer part of a camera? You
                                  need an FR with the 300D like you do with the QHY-8. When comparing
                                  camera weights you compare camera weights. Don't start adding arbitrary
                                  accessories. Maybe the t-ring extensions to get the same spacing but
                                  that's it.

                                  Sander

                                  n_mukkavilli wrote:

                                  > Hi
                                  > Actually Sander, I have both a Canon 300D and a QHY8-the QHY 8 is
                                  > heavier-even more so by the time you add an extension tube and a
                                  > focal reducer
                                  >
                                  > I don't have a 30D so I cant speak for that model
                                  > cheers
                                  >
                                  > narayan

                                • mch3898
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 11, 2008
                                    Thanks Seok for the advice. Finally found out the cause of the
                                    problem. It seemed that the whole focuser unit is threaded onto the
                                    OTA and the unit was not tightened when it was delivered to me.
                                    Works fine now. Thanks again.

                                    By the way, there are two more set screws on the left and right of
                                    the silver screw knob, what are these for? The manual that came with
                                    the scope could be more explicit and comprehensive and explain all
                                    these screws and connections.

                                    Christopher

                                    wrote:

                                    > The 3 screws round the focuser near to the tube body are for
                                    > adjusting of the focuser rotation. When it tightened fully the
                                    > focuser does not turn as like tightening the silver screw knob on
                                    > the focuser. If it does not work the focuser should be taken care
                                    of
                                    > by a dealer or WO, I think.
                                    >
                                    > Seok
                                    >

                                    > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mch3898" <mch3898@> wrote:

                                    > > Hi,
                                    > >
                                    > > I don't know if this forms part of this thread. If not, my
                                    > apologies.
                                    > >
                                    > > My problem is that the rotating focuser on my new Megrez 90FD
                                    > cannot
                                    > > be locked despite tightening the silver-colored knob at the
                                    > focuser.
                                    > > With my Canon 400D mounted, the focuser turns (due to the weight
                                    > of
                                    > > the camera) whenever the scope slews. WO advised to tighten the
                                    > > three set screws set at 120 deg round the focuser. I tried this
                                    > but
                                    > > this has no effect at all. (What are these screws for?)
                                    > >
                                    > > Will appreciate any help. If I replace with the Moonlite
                                    focuser,
                                    > > will I solve the problem, even though it is an expensive solution.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks all,
                                    > >
                                    > > Christopher

                                  • Geoff Smith
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 18, 2008
                                      Actually, I got some different advice from Ron. He wrote that
                                      "We don't show photos of all refractors, but we do make a CFL focuser
                                      that
                                      fits yours ZS.
                                      There are 3 different threaded flanges for the WO 110 size
                                      refractors, You
                                      want the
                                      Early FLT 110 flange. I have a note that it is the one that fits the
                                      Zenithstar 110."

                                      This is correct advice, because I have fitted one to my ZS110. The
                                      Megrez is very similar, but I don't know if it's the same.
                                      Geoff
                                      wrote:

                                      > Having the same question, I wrote to Moonlite last month and Ron
                                      Newman
                                      > there responded as follows:
                                      >
                                      > > We make 3 different threaded flanges for the WO110 refractors.
                                      The
                                      > one that fits the WO Zenithstar is the same as the WO Megrez.
                                      Please
                                      > pick the WO 110 Megrez when selecting the flange. Don't pick the
                                      FLT
                                      > versions.
                                      > http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?
                                      > page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL
                                      >
                                      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "mirfak30" <mirfak30@> wrote:
                                      > > Would an adapter be necessary to replace the focuser with a
                                      Moonlite?

                                    • Amy Stone
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 19, 2008
                                        I'm interested in upgrading as well but I may wait to bring the scope to NEAF to make sure I get the right flange for my ZS110, which is several years old.