Fun the Megrez 110ED.

  • clivegibbonsca
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008
      Recently, I've had the pleasure to enjoy a couple of neat ED
      doublets;
      A William Optics Megrez 110ED F/5.95 and a Sky-Watcher ED120 f/7.5.
      While the Sky-Watcher is a scope which provides very fine optical
      quality in a minimalist and somewhat
      maligned OTA, the Megrez is a veritable jewel in comparison. The
      white powder-coated tube,
      gold trimmed sliding dewshade and impeccibly made dual-speed focuser
      make the Megrez one of the
      prettiest refractors on the market. Gorgeous, precise and built like
      a tank.
      It's stubby length, with 10mm less aperture actually weighs about a
      pound more than the ED120 tube.
      The objective lens sports "STM" coatings, which look very efficient.
      Hardly any light is reflected from each
      surface of the air-spaced doublet lens.
      Since the scope has a very fast f/ratio for a doublet of it's
      aperture and uses FPL-51 ED glass (rather than
      lower dispersion FPL-53), it does show more spurious color than the
      ED120.
      On either side of focus, stars sport green or reddish tinted
      fringes. At best focus, there's virtually no
      spurious color visible. Although poor seeing does allow glints of
      green or red to flash into view, even when
      the image is sharpest. This is definitely a scope which benefits
      from steady seeing.
      It also greatly benefits from the Crayford's 10:1 fine focus action.
      You really appreciate that precision to exactly "dial in"
      the sharpest, most color-free star images.
      Yes, the scope is sharp. It showed well defined stellar diffraction
      images, even at the highest magnifications.
      Castor at 241x was very impressive. Collimation was excellent, no
      astigmatism or coma either.
      Saturn showed a glorious view at 131x and 160x.
      Mars was... well, not so amazing. Surface marking looked faint and
      diffuse. The mediocre seeing wasn't helping.

      Other things I enjoyed about the Megrez:
      The 2" Dielectric diagonal was very bright and well collimated.
      This was also the first time I'd used a RDF (red-dot finder). It
      must be an acquired taste. This one was accurate and
      worked well, but I just prefer a conventional finderscope.

      Overall, the Megrez 110ED is a fine refractor and a very neat
      instrument.
      It's chief limitation is slightly-less-than-apo color correction
      which is to be expected in an FPL-51 doublet of that aperture and
      focal length (no miracles here).

      A pleasure to use, a joy to look at and a scope to proudly own.