Re: Megrez 80 compared to Borg 76ED

  • mortymania
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2003
      You get very crisp low-power views but with good quality eyepieces (
      I use mainly Tele Vue) you can push the magnification up and still
      get decent results. I've had good views of Jupiter and Saturn with
      a 6mm radian and 2.5x Powermate. I also carry a Meade 32mm Plossl
      and Tele Vue 8-24mm zoom around in the case and these are also
      useful eyepieces.

      The real advantage is in its portability and light weight. It's
      fine on a medium-duty camera tipod, which is great for travelling.
      I don't think you can get much better overall performance and
      convenience for the money.

      Morton

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Fung" <david@n...>

      <mortymania@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I own a Megrez 80 and a Borg 100ED. The Borg is definitely
      better
      > > in terms of colour correction (the Megrez has a definite purple
      halo
      > > on bright objects). In terms of size and weight there's
      probably
      > > not much between the Megrez and the 76ED, although obviously the
      > > Borg can be broken down into smaller components. The other
      > > advantage of the Borg is that you would have the option of
      upgrading
      > > the objective to the 100mm at a later date without changing the
      > > tube/focuser.
      > >
      > > One other point: it may also depend how you intend to mount the
      > > scope. My Megrez has the L-bracket rather than mounting rings.
      > > I've had it drilled so that it fits onto a Tele Vue Panoramic
      > > mount. The Borg also fits the Panoramic (in its mounting rings)
      but
      > > I think the standard William Optics mounting rings, if you were
      > > get them with the Megrez, may be too large for the mount (see
      recent
      > > posting on the Tele Vue group). The reason for this is that the
      > > Borg tube is only 80mm across whereas most 80mm refractors have
      > > 90mm tube.
      > >
      > > Although I haven't compared the prices I think the Borg may be a
      > > better bet. Hope this helps.
      > >
      > > Morton
      > >

      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Fung" <david@n...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Hi
      > > >
      > > > Was contemplating the purchase of either the Megrez 80 or the
      Borg
      > > > 76ED. I was wondering what other users have on my decision. In
      > > > particular, has anyone else contemplated the same scenario?
      Has
      > > anyone
      > > > had experiences with both scopes? I am looking at these two
      scopes
      > > as
      > > > the best portable, grab and go scope for the price range.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > David
    • danieldgj
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2003
        I've had pleasant photographic experiences with my Megrez. With the
        violet reduction filter, roughly the central 50% of a 35mm frame
        gives pinpoint star images. With the TeleVue field flattener I've
        just added, that's expanded to about 85% (William Optics says they'll
        be making their own flattener, but I didn't want to wait for it).
        See my photos in the Daniel Johnson folder. The posted images aren't
        as sharp as the originals because of the compression used by Yahoo!,
        but you'll get the idea.
        wrote:
        What positive experiences have you had with
        > your Megrez?
      • kg7td
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2003
          David et al-
          I've just posted an image of M81 and M82 in the PHOTOS section under
          KG7TDM80. This may give you some idea what the Megrez80 is capable of.. I
          used a Sirius Optics MV1 filter for the four 2 minute exposures and now
          realize I should have gotten more. I can't wait to try some H-alpha images.
          HTH
          Gerry Pennington
          Spring Creek, Nevada