Megrez 90 with Flattener 2, Flattener 3, or 2" camera adapter

  • Dan Holmdahl
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2008
      I am purchasing a William Optics Megrez 90 and am trying to decide
      between the William Optics Field Flattener 2, Field Flattener 3, or
      just the the 2" camera adapter.
      Right now I don't plan on doing much in the way of astrophotography,
      but perhaps in a year or two. At first it would be more for daytime
      (birds etc.) The reducer would help some here by changing the lens
      from f6.9 to f5.5.

      Here's the benefits I see for the Flattener 2:
      -$90 cheaper than the FF3
      -I only have an APS sized camera right now (Canon EOS 30D)
      -Indicates it is SCT compatible. So it seems I could use it with my
      8" Meade LX90.

      The disadvantages of the FF2:
      -The person I'm ordering it from said that WO indicated I instead
      needed the FF3 for the Megrez 90.
      -Would need to upgrade if I ever get a CCD larger than APS size.

      It seems from the group that the FF2 DOES work on the Megrez 90 right?

      Any help/feedback is appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Dan
    • Dan Holmdahl
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2008
        After the following reply from Clay, I've decided to stick with the
        direct photo adapter for now. At least until I decide to pursue
        astrophotography.
        -----------------------------
        Dan,

        If you are not going to use the scope for much astrophotography I would
        not get the Field Flattener. If you are going to EXTENSIVELY use the
        scope for astrophotographt I would get the FF3. I found the FF2 (which
        I already had for the WO66SD) causes vignetting in my 10D (aps frame).
        I can put up with this on the 66 but not on the 90. OTOH - if you are
        only going to dabble in astrophotography I would shoot without the field
        flattener. You can crop the image a little and rid yourself of the
        worst of the field curvature. The FF3 was designed for the Megrez90 and
        even it does not give a flat field to the corners but it is a big
        improvement over no flattener.

        If I were you I would skip the field flattener until you are taking a
        lot of photos with the scope and buy one then. Until then a 2" photo
        adapter will work great! This seems to be the conclusion that you have
        come to and I agree that it is the best solution!

        Best Regards

        Clay Kessler
        www.ssoastro.org

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Holmdahl"