Erecting eyepiece

  • Dave Vosgien
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 6:30 PM
      Does anyone know if WO makes an erecting eyepiece? I have searched
      around and the only one I can find is made by Skywatcher. WO might
      consider marketing one or even better, a telescope adapter, like Nikon
      used to make, that allows the pre-focusing of camera lenses for
      astrophotography or as make shift terrestrial telescopes...Dave V
    • Bruce D
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 10:36 PM
        I'm not aware of an "erecting eyepiece" but they do offer erecting
        diagonals which will carry a standard eyepiece and present an erect
        image to the observer.

        I have the 45 degree erecting eyepiece and it works fine in daylight.
        It's definitely not something you would want to use at night. CN has a
        review - iirc in the forums.

        As has been commented previously, the resolution of camera lenses is
        seldom as good as even a basic telescope can offer. The poor image
        quality combined with the eye's accomodation for slight focus
        inaccuracies makes me skeptical that critical focus could really be
        achieved by substituting an eyepiece.

        That said, you could use a Ronchi or knife edge focuser to prefocus -
        or maybe even a Hartmann mask with the camera attached. These
        techniques tend to require you focus on a bright target then point the
        camera at whatever you're interested in.

        Clearest
        Bruce, Toronto