Autoguiding via finderscope & Meade LPI

  • Paul Lloyd
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2008
      Hello all,

      I've just taken delivery of my very first refractor in the form of an
      FLT 110 and am keen to start using it seriously. I am just about
      fully geared up for viewing and am getting myself steadily set up for
      astrophotography. The 'scope is mounted on a Meade LXD55 equatorial
      that I attempt to get into very good polar alignment but find that I
      still need some autoguiding to iron out the inaccuracies especially
      for long exposures. I also have Meade's LPI which can be used in
      autoguiding mode with this mount.

      My question, then, is: does it make sense to use a finderscope that
      will accept the LPI attached to the 'scope mounted on the LXD55 (ie
      it has a removable eyepiece)? Has anyone tried this set up (do
      Celestron's or Orion's imagers allow autoguiding?) and if so did the
      effort give acceptable results? I realize that the low magnification
      and aperture through the finderscope may limit the tracking accuracy
      and availability of bright enough stars, but apart from these can you
      see any other possible gotchas? (The former may be improved by use of
      barlows at the expense of the latter.)

      If my idea has some merit, then does anyone know of a reasonably
      priced finderscope that will accept 32mm (1.25") eyepieces & the LPI?
      I notice, for example, that the Antares 7X50 Right-angle Finderscope
      is described on one vendor's Web site as "comes with removable 1.25"
      cross-hair eyepiece". Has anyone seen/used this finderscope and can
      confirm this as its price is quite reasonable? Also, does anyone know
      whether it will fit into WO's finderscope bracket, or failing that,
      what finderscope bracket would you recommend (I would prefer it
      easily detachable, if possible, ie leaving behind just a low profile
      mounting plate)?

      Thanks in advance,
      Paul.