Re: Help with set-up

  • Timm Bottoni
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
      Hi Jack,

      It sounds like you are on track. I have a review on Astromart that
      has some tips and pictures on how I set mine up that might help.
      http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=474

      I'm not sure if the new FD72 will work with just the L-Bracket or not
      for you. I have an older Megrez 80 and the L-bracket did not work on
      it's own, but some models of WO scopes have an L-Bracket that will
      fit directly into the Vixen compatible side. If it works by itself,
      and it sounds like it might, and can be properly balanced, then you
      might not need the additional Vixen dovetail, but that's up to you to
      decide. To rotate the focuser, just loosen the thumbscrew that keeps
      it from rotating, and tighten it at whatever position you like.

      I will definately buy a set of WO rings one of these days, because it
      will be nicer, but it's not a high priority for me.

      Enjoy the new scope and Mount!!!!
      Hope this helps,

      Timm

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "ajax672000" <jacklimyee@...>
      wrote:

      > I have just bought myself the WO megress 72 and EZ touch mount with
      > tripod. I just have a few simple questions about set-up as
      > instructions were not included. To assemble the mount I unscrewed
      the
      > collar on top of the tripod and placed the accompanying plate(disc)
      > which sits snuggly into position, the collar is then threaded back
      > tightly into postion to secure the plate within. The mount is sat
      on
      > top of the plate/ collar and a bolt is threaded and secured from
      > below. Is this correct so far? My Megress comes with an L-bracket
      do I
      > need to attach the L-bracket onto a vixen style plate before it is
      > attached to the mount or can the L-bracket and scope be directly
      > attached to the mount itself? I have tried the latter and the
      focuser
      > needs to be rotated back into a horizontal position. How is this
      > achieved? A lot of questions but as a newbie I need a lot of help!
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Jack Yee.

    • ajax672000
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
        Thanks for that Timm. I have tried attaching the L bracket directly
        onto the mount but I find that when I tighten the retaining screw it
        bites into the paintwork of the L-bracket. Is this normal?

        Jack.

        - In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni" <t.bottoni@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Jack,
        >
        > It sounds like you are on track. I have a review on Astromart
        that
        > has some tips and pictures on how I set mine up that might help.
        > http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=474
        >
        > I'm not sure if the new FD72 will work with just the L-Bracket or
        not
        > for you. I have an older Megrez 80 and the L-bracket did not work
        on
        > it's own, but some models of WO scopes have an L-Bracket that will
        > fit directly into the Vixen compatible side. If it works by
        itself,
        > and it sounds like it might, and can be properly balanced, then
        you
        > might not need the additional Vixen dovetail, but that's up to you
        > decide. To rotate the focuser, just loosen the thumbscrew that
        keeps
        > it from rotating, and tighten it at whatever position you like.
        >
        > I will definately buy a set of WO rings one of these days, because
        it
        > will be nicer, but it's not a high priority for me.
        >
        > Enjoy the new scope and Mount!!!!
        > Hope this helps,
        >
        > Timm
        >
        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "ajax672000" <jacklimyee@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I have just bought myself the WO megress 72 and EZ touch mount
        with
        > > tripod. I just have a few simple questions about set-up as
        > > instructions were not included. To assemble the mount I
        unscrewed
        > the
        > > collar on top of the tripod and placed the accompanying plate
        (disc)
        > > which sits snuggly into position, the collar is then threaded
        back
        > > tightly into postion to secure the plate within. The mount is
        sat
        > on
        > > top of the plate/ collar and a bolt is threaded and secured from
        > > below. Is this correct so far? My Megress comes with an L-
        bracket
        > do I
        > > need to attach the L-bracket onto a vixen style plate before it
        is
        > > attached to the mount or can the L-bracket and scope be directly
        > > attached to the mount itself? I have tried the latter and the
        > focuser
        > > needs to be rotated back into a horizontal position. How is this
        > > achieved? A lot of questions but as a newbie I need a lot of
        help!

        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > Jack Yee.

      • Timm Bottoni
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008

          Not sure if that is normal for the L-bracket - maybe someone else can
          answer that. Mine doesn't seem to damage the WO Vixen dovetail when
          I tighten it down, though. Check the end of the bolt and see if it
          has a plastic/nylon type tip or covering. Is yours the new EZTouch
          from WO with the scale markers on the both axis barrels?

          wrote:

> [...]
          > back
          > > > tightly into postion to secure the plate within. The mount is
          > sat
          > > on
          > > > top of the plate/ collar and a bolt is threaded and secured
          from
          > > > below. Is this correct so far? My Megress comes with an L-
          > bracket
          > > do I
          > > > need to attach the L-bracket onto a vixen style plate before it
          > is
          > > > attached to the mount or can the L-bracket and scope be
          directly
          > > > attached to the mount itself? I have tried the latter and the
          > > focuser
          > > > needs to be rotated back into a horizontal position. How is
          this
          > > > achieved? A lot of questions but as a newbie I need a lot of

        • ajax672000
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
            Yes it is the new WO EZ touch mount and I have had a look at the end
            of the retaining screw/bolt where it makes contact with the L-
            bracket and no it doesn't have a plastic tip to it just bare
            metal!!! should I make enquiries to my dealer about this?

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > on
            > > > it's own, but some models of WO scopes have an L-Bracket that
            > will
            > > > fit directly into the Vixen compatible side. If it works by
            > > itself,
            > > > and it sounds like it might, and can be properly balanced,
            then
            > > you
            > > > might not need the additional Vixen dovetail, but that's up to
            > you
            > > > decide. To rotate the focuser, just loosen the thumbscrew
            that
            > > keeps
            > > > it from rotating, and tighten it at whatever position you
            like.

            > > > I will definately buy a set of WO rings one of these days,
            > because
            > > it
            > > > will be nicer, but it's not a high priority for me.

          • Timm Bottoni
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
              Hi Jack,

              Sure - it wouldn't hurt to ask the Dealer or email WO to find out if
              was supposed to have that on it or not. I wouldn't panick about it.

              The new EZT model might have been changed in other ways other than
              just the appearance (I wish mine had the setting circles like the new
              ones appear to have). The only drawback to the plastic tip on the
              bolt on mine is that it has to be tightened very securely, or it can
              slip - which is a bit scarey. I only had it happen once, and I
              learned my lesson from that. I was thinking of taking it off, and
              putting cork or something with more friction on it, to be honest.
              The plastic is nice for protection of the finish of the bar, but the
              protection of the scope falling out is probably more important ;-)

              If anyone else with an EZTouch and has other ideas, please chime in.

              And do let us know what you find out.

              wrote:

              > --
              > Yes it is the new WO EZ touch mount and I have had a look at the
              end
              > of the retaining screw/bolt where it makes contact with the L-
              > bracket and no it doesn't have a plastic tip to it just bare
              > metal!!! should I make enquiries to my dealer about this?
              >
              > Jack.
              > - In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni" <t.bottoni@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Not sure if that is normal for the L-bracket - maybe someone else
              > can
              > > answer that. Mine doesn't seem to damage the WO Vixen dovetail
              > when
              > > I tighten it down, though. Check the end of the bolt and see if
              > it
              > > has a plastic/nylon type tip or covering. Is yours the new
              > EZTouch
              > > from WO with the scale markers on the both axis barrels?
              > >
              > > Timm
              > >
              > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "ajax672000" <jacklimyee@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > Thanks for that Timm. I have tried attaching the L bracket
              > directly
              > > > onto the mount but I find that when I tighten the retaining
              > screw
              > > it
              > > > bites into the paintwork of the L-bracket. Is this normal?
              > > >
              > > > Jack.
            • ajax672000
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
                -
                Thanks Timm, I had a look at the Lock down screw on the mount and I
                don't think it is possible to fit a plastic tip to it as the screw
                needs to be flush in order for the L-bracket or dovetail plate to
                slide into position. Also I have found an instruction manual for the
                mount on the william optics site and the Lock down short screw
                pictured doesn't appear to have a tip on it either! Just a couple
                more dumb questions please... I have a WO vixen style doveplate, I
                also have mounting rings for a larger scope. Can I use the bolts
                from the rings to attach the L-bracket directly onto the dovetail
                plate? If so do I use the pre drilled holes running down the middle
                of the plate?

                Many thanks.

                wrote:

                > Hi Jack,
                >
                > Sure - it wouldn't hurt to ask the Dealer or email WO to find out
                if
                > was supposed to have that on it or not. I wouldn't panick about
                it.

                > The new EZT model might have been changed in other ways other than
                > just the appearance (I wish mine had the setting circles like the
                new
                > ones appear to have). The only drawback to the plastic tip on the
                > bolt on mine is that it has to be tightened very securely, or it
                can
                > slip - which is a bit scarey. I only had it happen once, and I
                > learned my lesson from that. I was thinking of taking it off, and
                > putting cork or something with more friction on it, to be honest.
                > The plastic is nice for protection of the finish of the bar, but
                the
                > protection of the scope falling out is probably more important ;-)
                >
                > If anyone else with an EZTouch and has other ideas, please chime
                in.

                > And do let us know what you find out.
                >
                > Timm
                >

                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "ajax672000" <jacklimyee@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --
                > > Yes it is the new WO EZ touch mount and I have had a look at the
                > end
                > > of the retaining screw/bolt where it makes contact with the L-
                > > bracket and no it doesn't have a plastic tip to it just bare
                > > metal!!! should I make enquiries to my dealer about this?
                > >
                > > Jack.
                > > - In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni" <t.bottoni@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi,
                > > >
                > > > Not sure if that is normal for the L-bracket - maybe someone
                else
                > > can
                > > > answer that. Mine doesn't seem to damage the WO Vixen
                dovetail
                > > when
                > > > I tighten it down, though. Check the end of the bolt and see
                if
                > > it
                > > > has a plastic/nylon type tip or covering. Is yours the new
                > > EZTouch
                > > > from WO with the scale markers on the both axis barrels?
                > > >
                > > > Timm
                > > >
                > > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "ajax672000"
                <jacklimyee@>

                > > directly
                > > screw
                > > > it

              • Timm Bottoni
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
                  Hi again,

                  I am guessing that WO has changed it, but mine has a white tip
                  plastic tip on it, that is visible in the one picture of my review.
                  The WO Vixen Dovetail has center holes, and I used them with a single
                  1/4-20 allen head bolt. Mine was 1/4-20 which is the standard photo
                  tripod threading, and likely what yours is, so I don't think the
                  bolts from the rings are likely to work, but you never know. Buying
                  the single 1/4-20 bolt was like 60cents from Lowes, I think. I added
                  cork circles to the bottom of my L-bracket to give it more friction
                  to keep the scope from rotating. You can probably see that in one of
                  my pictures in the review as well. I had to slightly drill out one
                  of the center holes in the WO Vixen Dovetail to make this work.
                  Rings would be better of course, but they cost more too. They would
                  be more solid and they would allow me to rotate the tube which would
                  be nice so that I could change the position of the Finderscope. That
                  would give me better balance.

                  Hope that makes sense,

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  honest.
                  > > The plastic is nice for protection of the finish of the bar, but
                  > the
                  > > protection of the scope falling out is probably more important ;-)
                  > >
                  > > If anyone else with an EZTouch and has other ideas, please chime
                  > in.
                  > >
                  > > And do let us know what you find out.
                  > >
                  > > Timm
                  > >

                  > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "ajax672000" <jacklimyee@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --
                  > > > Yes it is the new WO EZ touch mount and I have had a look at
                  the
                  > > end
                  > > > of the retaining screw/bolt where it makes contact with the L-
                  > > > bracket and no it doesn't have a plastic tip to it just bare
                  > > > metal!!! should I make enquiries to my dealer about this?

                • ajax672000
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 14, 2008
                    Thanks for all your help Timm. Unfortunately after all your advice
                    there seems to be a fault with the focuser on my Megrez 72. However
                    the staff at william optics were very helpful and prompt with their
                    replies and my supplier Ian King of Ian King Imaging is shipping out
                    a replacement unit for me as I write this message. I have been
                    stargazing now for just over a year using a pair of Celestron 15x70
                    binoculars and the Megrez 72 is one of two (bargain!) first scopes I
                    had picked up at the Astrofest. I have done a fair bit of research
                    before choosing to go with William optics and Ian King and I must be
                    very unlucky to have picked up a faulty unit but I feel that I am
                    being very well looked after by both parties. I will keep you all
                    posted.

                    Thanks again.

                    Jack Yee.