Suggestions for mount/tripod?

  • Jackie Pritchard
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
      My Megrez 110 should go between 11-13 pounds depending on diagonal,
      barlow & eyepiece. I am thinking of mounting it on either a CG-5 or a
      Orion Skyview Pro. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Better choices
      (within financial reason)? If I wanted a really lightweight alt-az,
      what might work? It needs to be steady enough to allow me views
      pushing on 180X. Thanks.
    • Howard
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
        Hi Jackie;
        Everyone has their own view as to what is the best mount. We all look
        for a mount the is quick to setup and light weight and enable us to use
        that Megrez 110 very often.
        It is expensive but worth the look.
        I use the Discmounts DM 4 ...just look at the site and review for your
        self....it also works well with a DSC.
        Clear skies
        Howard

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jackie Pritchard"
        <jackiepatti@...> wrote:

        > My Megrez 110 should go between 11-13 pounds depending on diagonal,
        > barlow & eyepiece. I am thinking of mounting it on either a CG-5 or a
        > Orion Skyview Pro. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Better choices
        > (within financial reason)? If I wanted a really lightweight alt-az,
        > what might work? It needs to be steady enough to allow me views
        > pushing on 180X. Thanks.

      • robertnharris1972
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
          As far as AltAz, I am very pleased with the Vixen PortaMount. The slow
          motion controls make all the difference at high power. I use it with my
          ZS80 + medium sized Vixen LVW eyepieces with no problems.

          Good luck,
          Robert

          <jackiepatti@...> wrote:

          > My Megrez 110 should go between 11-13 pounds depending on diagonal,
          > barlow & eyepiece. I am thinking of mounting it on either a CG-5 or a
          > Orion Skyview Pro. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Better choices
          > (within financial reason)? If I wanted a really lightweight alt-az,
          > what might work? It needs to be steady enough to allow me views
          > pushing on 180X. Thanks.

        • Bruce D
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
            Jackie,

            I think ypu would be fine with either of the mounts you suggested -
            but be aware that you need to polar align them (at least to some
            extent) for them to work reasonably. Be cautious if you decide to
            purchase a used one - I've seen a used CG5 on the floor of a
            reputable dealer that has considerable drive issues.

            The rest of my comment is directed to an AltAz grab-n-go. I have a
            Portamount too - it's carrying my FLT which weighs about 15 lbs at
            it's heaviest.

            As standard. the mount was seriously overloaded - viewing at 90x was
            impossible - wind driven oscillations persisted for 8+ seconds. To
            attenuate this I made a rigid wooden tripod (from instructions in the
            CN-howto's) and replaced the Vixen dovetail with a WO one. I also
            installed extensions to the slow motion controls. Each helped.

            I think my "Portamount" is now quite usable - but all the
            modifications came at a cost - frustration, effort and dollars. In
            cash terms I could have bought a DM4 which should have worked at
            least as well, straight out of the box and could have had a computer
            added at a later time. Otoh, I do find the slow motion controls
            valuable at high power.

            Clearest
            Bruce, Toronto
          • rhofm
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007

              most of the CG5 type mounts are a copy of the Vixen GP. So why not
              choose the original? It is very well made (still the best in ists
              class), lightweight and can be upgraded for photography / goto. Add a
              tripod made of wood (lighter than steel and it dampens vibrations) and
              you have a very stable and precise platform.

              If you want it a little cheaper: the Celestron CG-5 is also a good
              mount. It has ballbearings for its axis and the gearing is made to
              high standards. The tripod is made of steel, not aluminium and is
              pretty stable.

              -Rainer
            • Jackie Pritchard
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
                Thanks to all who have responded to my question. I appreciate the advice.