Re: [William Optics] Re: (Slightly OT) US Import Taxes from Taiwan

  • Ciobotas
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
      I must have lucked out too, I have bought two scopes from WO in Taiwan so far and didn't have to pay import duties.  I knw the UK folk do (their customs police is the worst imo), so maybe it depends what country you're located in.  I'm guessing some of you guys who got taxed are in the UK or Canada maybe?

       Best of luck Jeff,

      Daniel

    • StarCat
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
        I suspect the US is like Canada in that they "do not" place any duty on items of a scientific or research nature.  As Astronomy is a flavour of scientific research, items to support this venture do not attract any special taxes (duties).  I can't believe nobody has noticed this before.  Nice "little" perk from the hobby.

        Forever clear skies & great seeing!
        Cheers,   Ed
        RASC - Calgary Centre
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
          Don't confuse brokerage fees with duty or import tax. In canada FedEx
          charges a fairly substantial brokerage fee to bring items into Canada
          from the US. With USPS no brokerage fees but a 5.00 handleing fee
          from Canada post. GST is payable on all purchases and is added by
          Canada Post but thats not an import tax.

          John

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "tchphysics" <jamacq@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Lee Paul <lpaul31ld@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Mark, Last Year I purchased a Demo UWAN 28mm with a little
          damage
          > for $189.00. The inport duty on this was $35.00! Needless to say I
          was
          > surprised, but it is a great Eyepiece and the price was right, so
          It
          > didn't bother me. Good Luck to you! Let us know what yours is!?
          > >
          > > Lee
          > >

          > Ouch! I bought an FLT110 demo model for $2025 plus shipping.
          Since
          > you paid 18.5% on your eyepiece, I could end up paying almost $400
          on
          > the scope. With shipping, I may have been about even if I had
          bought a
          > new scope. I'll let folks know what it ends up being...this may be
          > good lesson learned.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Mark Rieck
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
            I'm uncertain what you mean by your last sentence.

            Mark

            wrote:

            > Mark, Last Year I purchased a Demo UWAN 28mm with a little damage
            for $189.00. The inport duty on this was $35.00! Needless to say I
            was surprised, but it is a great Eyepiece and the price was right,
            so It didn't bother me. Good Luck to you! Let us know what yours
            is!?

            > Lee
            >
            > Mark Rieck <derklaus@...> wrote:
            > 8% might be a safe estimate.
            >
            > Mark
            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "tchphysics" <jamacq@>
            wrote:

            > > I purchased a scope from WO Taiwan and am wondering how much to
            > expect
            > > in US import taxes. Does anyone have any experience with buying
            > > directly from Taiwan and recall the tax if any paid as a
            percentage
            > of
            > > the product?
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > Jeff

          • Mark Rieck
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
              I know this is not the case for US customs, and most Canadian
              friends have told me their astronomy purchases have been subject to
              import duty as well. Curious.

              Mark

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, StarCat <starcat@...> wrote:

              > I suspect the US is like Canada in that they "do not" place any
              duty on items of a scientific or research nature. As Astronomy is a
              flavour of scientific research, items to support this venture do not
              attract any special taxes (duties). I can't believe nobody has
              noticed this before. Nice "little" perk from the hobby.

              > Forever clear skies & great seeing!
              > Cheers, Ed
              > RASC - Calgary Centre

            • kurtz550
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
                My Megrez 90FD arrived from Taiwan via US Postal Service (Taiwan to
                Boston in 4 days)...when is duty charged...is it upon delivery or were
                individuals billed later...if duty is required when is the buyer
                notified.
              • Jackie Pritchard
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
                  I just got my Megrez 110 today (Sunday morning delivered as Express
                  Mail!) and there was NO duty!Yeah!
                • tchphysics
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jackie Pritchard"
                    <jackiepatti@...> wrote:

                    > I just got my Megrez 110 today (Sunday morning delivered as Express
                    > Mail!) and there was NO duty!Yeah!

                    That's good news. It's looking like there is no duty collected in the
                    US on scopes from Taiwan. I should get mine in a couple days and will
                    be able to confirm as the tracking number from WO indicates it flew in
                    from Taiwan to JFK yesterday.

                    Jeff
                  • xlh1450
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Yes Virginia, you do not pay duty on any scope coming into Canada.
                      Anyone that has paid duty on a telescope, or telescope accessory,
                      should apply to have the amount refunded. Our hobby lumps all our
                      purchases under Scientific Research, therefore no duty is due. There
                      might have been some confusion to the duty police on how the item
                      was listed on the invoice, so it would be safe to say, that if they
                      weren't sure what it was, they will charge you duty and leave it up
                      to you to apply for a refund. There are specific numbers that need
                      to be used to get the items duty free. If you see any other numbers,
                      then they have classified it wrong. These numbers are for Canada.

                      9005.80.10.10 telescopes
                      9005.90.19.00 telescope parts and accessories

                      Taxes and brokerage fees are a whole different ball game.
                      Usually, if the shipment comes via air, the brokerage is included,
                      but the PST and GST are due. Canada Post likes to charge a $5 or $8
                      brokerage/collection fee, unless it's under $40 (I think) or a gift
                      or a warranty repair. Items coming into Canada from Taiwan have been
                      known to not ask for any taxes. And, taxes and brokerage have been
                      billed to customers after they receive their items. So, you never
                      know how you did until a week or two goes by.

                      Garry
                      Alberta Premium Optics
                    • tchphysics
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "tchphysics" <jamacq@...> wrote:

                        > I purchased a scope from WO Taiwan and am wondering how much to
                        expect
                        > in US import taxes. Does anyone have any experience with buying
                        > directly from Taiwan and recall the tax if any paid as a percentage
                        of
                        > the product?
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > Jeff

                        I am happy to report that my scope arrived with no taxes. I'm also
                        thrilled to report that the scope arrived from Taiwan to Virginia in
                        less than 96 hours. WO Taiwan seems to be able to get stuff to us
                        faster than most US merchants.

                        Jeff
                      • Morris Bagnall
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 22, 2007
                          I just wanted to check:

                          did you guys get an email from WO Taiwan confirming the purchase? I
                          just got a scope on ebay form WO Taiwan and haven't heard anything.
                          Being as it is a holiday period it may be they are not shipping till
                          after the break but I am just concerned that they are still waiting
                          for my payment (some technical glitch).

                          Thanks.

                          wrote:

                          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "tchphysics" <jamacq@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I purchased a scope from WO Taiwan and am wondering how much to
                          > expect
                          > > in US import taxes. Does anyone have any experience with buying
                          > > directly from Taiwan and recall the tax if any paid as a
                          percentage
                          > of
                          > > the product?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks.
                          > >
                          > > Jeff
                          > >

                          > I am happy to report that my scope arrived with no taxes. I'm also
                          > thrilled to report that the scope arrived from Taiwan to Virginia
                          in
                          > less than 96 hours. WO Taiwan seems to be able to get stuff to us
                          > faster than most US merchants.
                          >
                          > Jeff

                        • brad.bittinger
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 22, 2007
                            I've gotten several Ebay-WO items shipped from Taiwan. WO will let
                            you know when it ships (and since that's via EMS, that won't be till
                            Monday) and the tracking number. If you have't heard anything by
                            Monday night, send a message through Ebay; WO has been very responsive
                            to queries, though because of the time difference, I've had to wait
                            overnight for the answers.

                            No Worries.

                            -Brad
                            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Morris Bagnall" <morris@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I just wanted to check:
                            >
                            > did you guys get an email from WO Taiwan confirming the purchase? I
                            > just got a scope on ebay form WO Taiwan and haven't heard anything.
                            > Being as it is a holiday period it may be they are not shipping till
                            > after the break but I am just concerned that they are still waiting
                            > for my payment (some technical glitch).
                            >
                            > Thanks.
                            >
                            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "tchphysics" <jamacq@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "tchphysics" <jamacq@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I purchased a scope from WO Taiwan and am wondering how much to
                            > > expect
                            > > > in US import taxes. Does anyone have any experience with buying
                            > > > directly from Taiwan and recall the tax if any paid as a
                            > percentage
                            > > of
                            > > > the product?
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks.
                            > > >
                            > > > Jeff
                            > > >

                            > > I am happy to report that my scope arrived with no taxes. I'm also
                            > > thrilled to report that the scope arrived from Taiwan to Virginia
                            > in
                            > > less than 96 hours. WO Taiwan seems to be able to get stuff to us
                            > > faster than most US merchants.
                            > >
                            > > Jeff

                          • Morris Bagnall
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 22, 2007
                              Thanks Brad; your experience comforts me.

                              I have always had outstanding service from WO in the USA and expect
                              no less from Taiwan. Once you start involving Ebay and paypal though
                              it does throw in an extra couple of levels of potential complication.

                              I have many knives sent from Japan through EMS and it is an awesome
                              service; so darned fast!

                              I appreciate your time and advice and I wait in anticipation of my
                              email :)

                              Cheers!

                              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "brad.bittinger"
                              <brad.bittinger@...> wrote:

                              > I've gotten several Ebay-WO items shipped from Taiwan. WO will let
                              > you know when it ships (and since that's via EMS, that won't be till
                              > Monday) and the tracking number. If you have't heard anything by
                              > Monday night, send a message through Ebay; WO has been very
                              responsive
                              > to queries, though because of the time difference, I've had to wait
                              > overnight for the answers.
                              >
                              > No Worries.
                              >
                              > -Brad
                              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Morris Bagnall" <morris@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I just wanted to check:
                              > >
                              > > did you guys get an email from WO Taiwan confirming the purchase?
                              > > just got a scope on ebay form WO Taiwan and haven't heard
                              anything.
                              > > Being as it is a holiday period it may be they are not shipping
                              till
                              > > after the break but I am just concerned that they are still
                              waiting
                              > > for my payment (some technical glitch).
                              > >
                              > > Thanks.
                              > >
                              > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "tchphysics" <jamacq@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "tchphysics" <jamacq@>

                              > > > expect
                              > > percentage
                              > > > of

                              > > > I am happy to report that my scope arrived with no taxes. I'm
                              also
                              > > > thrilled to report that the scope arrived from Taiwan to
                              Virginia
                              > > in
                              > > > less than 96 hours. WO Taiwan seems to be able to get stuff to
                              us
                              > > > faster than most US merchants.
                              > > >
                              > > > Jeff

                            • Morris Bagnall
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 23, 2007
                                UPDATE:

                                It ships tomorrow EMS.

                                Probably be here tomorrow afternoon then :)

                                That EMS service usually gets me my kitchen knives in 4 days door to
                                door (and my makers are usually not in large towns).

                                Go WO!